Author Topic: Gas to Become Primary Energy Source in 2026  (Read 1110 times)

Offline thackney

Gas to Become Primary Energy Source in 2026
« on: September 11, 2019, 05:23:37 pm »
Gas to Become Primary Energy Source in 2026
https://www.rigzone.com/news/gas_to_become_primary_energy_source_in_2026-11-sep-2019-159770-article/
September 11, 2019

DNV GL sees global gas demand overtaking demand for oil in 2026 to become the world’s primary energy source.

That’s according to the company’s latest Energy Transition Outlook report, which predicts that global oil demand will peak in the mid-2020s and gas demand will keep rising to 2033. Gas demand is then anticipated to plateau and remain dominant until the end of the forecast period in 2050, when it is expected to account for over 29 percent of the world’s energy supply.

Oil and gas will still meet 46 percent of world energy demand in 2050, according to DNV GL’s latest Energy Transition Outlook report.

Unconventional onshore gas will increase from 2019 through to the end of the forecast period, growing by 68 percent from 2017 production levels, the report highlights. Conventional onshore gas production is forecasted to be maintained at today’s output rates until the late 2030s. It is then forecasted to decline slowly to mid-century, ending at about 19 percent lower than 2017....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Gas to Become Primary Energy Source in 2026
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 08:43:46 pm »
There remain absolutely tremendous amounts of known natural gas deposits found but never developed in the hunt for oil over the years, undeveloped mostly due to low gas prices and technical challenges to process the gas get the reserves to a market.  These are called stranded gas.

One such accumulation is called East Natuna Gas field discovered in early 70s.  It is still the largest continuous hydrocarbon column in the world at over 5000' and remains unproduced in spite of containing 46 tcf of natural gas.  https://www.offshore-technology.com/projects/natuna/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:12:33 pm »
Are oil, gas and coal so abundant, we should pay little attention to alternatives for the long run (500 years)?

Souldn't we be working on clean-safe nuclear?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:50:20 pm »
Are oil, gas and coal so abundant, we should pay little attention to alternatives for the long run (500 years)?

No, I don't think so.  Oil is unlikely to come anywhere near that lifespan.  And the ability to predict energy demand 100 years out is unrealistic, let alone 500.  Gas has a very large reserve if you includes methane hydrates.

Yes, I am for all of the above.  I don't mind spending a little on government funded research, but I am not in favor of subsidising the commercial usage.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 12:32:31 am »
No, I don't think so.  Oil is unlikely to come anywhere near that lifespan.  And the ability to predict energy demand 100 years out is unrealistic, let alone 500.  Gas has a very large reserve if you includes methane hydrates.

Yes, I am for all of the above.  I don't mind spending a little on government funded research, but I am not in favor of subsidising the commercial usage.
Thanks, for the Intelligent discussion of important stuff, scarce as it is.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:05:54 am »
------------------------------
There is no inherent conflict between the continued development of oil, natural gas and nuclear.
None!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 10:32:00 am »

I am a petroleum engineer working in industry for 5 decades, particularly in worldwide exploration and reserves.  My observation is that we have no fear for not having available hydrocarbons for many generations, so many they should be considered virtually infinite for any discussion of the future of hydrocarbon supplies to us.

Oil has been the most exploited and will get harder to continuously extract to satisfy growth usage rates forecasted.

No real worry about that, as the beauty is what God has given us is that one can take either coal or natural gas and convert to about any petroleum product such as gas, diesel, aviation fuel, etc.

Since both coal and gas are at low prices, makes the conversion that much easier.  And they are far more abundant than oil.

So rest easy, it will sustain us, and does so with tremendous efficiency compared to almost any alternative.  @truth_seeker
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:34:04 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 03:55:08 pm »
I agree with oil, as you must be talking about produced oil.  Synthetic petroleum products made from coal and natural gas are virtually inexhaustable.  And yes, one should always include methane hydrates, a plentiful supply of methane although not currently commercially competitive with other methane sources such as coal seam gas or natural gas.
How much is a 'little'?  Nuclear energy has attracted to date 48% of all government funded research comprised of a staggering $230 billion.   https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22858.pdf

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 04:04:51 pm »
I am a petroleum engineer working in industry for 5 decades, particularly in worldwide exploration and reserves.  My observation is that we have no fear for not having available hydrocarbons for many generations, so many they should be considered virtually infinite for any discussion of the future of hydrocarbon supplies to us.

Oil has been the most exploited and will get harder to continuously extract to satisfy growth usage rates forecasted.

No real worry about that, as the beauty is what God has given us is that one can take either coal or natural gas and convert to about any petroleum product such as gas, diesel, aviation fuel, etc.

Since both coal and gas are at low prices, makes the conversion that much easier.  And they are far more abundant than oil.

So rest easy, it will sustain us, and does so with tremendous efficiency compared to almost any alternative.  @truth_seeker

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 07:25:58 pm »
------------------------------
There is no inherent conflict between the continued development of oil, natural gas and nuclear.
None!!!

I did not claim there was.

But in the US they all face technical, political, and economic obstacles and challenges.

https://www.offshore-technology.com/projects/epsilonoilfield/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 12:03:39 am »
truth seeker wonders:
"Are oil, gas and coal so abundant, we should pay little attention to alternatives for the long run (500 years)?"

The alternative is there, known for centuries:
Coal.

Long after the oil wells have run dry and the natural gas fields have played out, coal will still be around.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:04:32 am by Fishrrman »