Author Topic: Late-Summer Snow Falls in Northwest U.S. as the Jet Stream Shifts South — Even Colder Conditions on  (Read 1550 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Electroverse by Cap Allon 9/11/2019

Late-Summer Snow Falls in Northwest U.S. as the Jet Stream Shifts South — Even Colder Conditions on the Way

Cool air funneled into the Western U.S. this week resulting in up to 10 inches of snow falling on the mountains of Utah and Wyoming. While looking ahead to next week, meteorologists see a much more potent cold air-mass sweeping the Pacific coast and Intermountain West.

This week’s cool air, which arrived in the Northwest on Monday, saw temperatures nosedive some 10C below the seasonal average. Snowflakes fell over the high country of the Tetons in northwestern Wyoming early Tuesday. And a decent dumping of the white stuff settled at Bald Mountain Pass, Utah:

Up to 10 inches of snow is expected to fall in the higher terrain of northern and western Wyoming Tuesday night into Wednesday, in what the NWS is calling the first “fall-like storm” of the season.

Bighorn, Absaroka, Wind River and Teton mountains –including parts of Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks– are all expecting healthy accumulations of powder above 8,000 feet.

With Thundersnow even possible in the Bighorn Mountains on Wednesday.

More: https://electroverse.net/late-summer-snow-falls-in-northwest-u-s-as-the-jet-stream-shifts-south-even-colder-conditions-on-the-way/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:11:30 pm by Elderberry »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Changing Jet Stream

Studying the jet stream has long been an indicator of the weather to come.

And to study the jet stream, attention must turn to the sun.

When solar activity is high, the band of meandering air flowing some 6 miles above our heads is tight, stable and follows somewhat of a straight path. But when solar activity is low, as it is now (with NASA forecasting this next solar cycle “will be the weakest of the past 200 years”), the jet stream loses strength and its band of fast-moving air becomes wavy which, in the NH, drags Arctic air south to much lower latitudes than normal:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
It is 47 here now. Low for tomorrow is 40. The high for today is supposed to be in the low 60's.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Rain, and lots of it, in western ND, night temps in the low 50s. As an aside, this has been one of the wettest years I have seen in the last 4 decades here, everything is still green out there. But the wet conditions are adversely affecting the harvest with harvests well behind 5 year averages. source
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:21:40 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I hope the damned thing waves all the way down to Texas!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

I hope the damned thing waves all the way down to Texas!
Appologies, but a guilty pleasure is watching video of Texans trying to drive on snow...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It is 47 here now. Low for tomorrow is 40. The high for today is supposed to be in the low 60's.

Yeah... I roll up in a fleece to sleep all summer...Last night, about three in the morning, I had to get up and put the fleece inside my big comforter and roll up in em both... I might have to close the windows pretty soon.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Appologies, but a guilty pleasure is watching video of Texans trying to drive on snow...

I don't!  I just sit back and watch the festivities out my front window.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

I know, right?  :silly:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
My house is near the top of a hill and things get very entertaining when the road ices over as it sometimes does in winter.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online berdie

I don't!  I just sit back and watch the festivities out my front window.

About 30+ years ago I lived in the 'burbs. The folks that had moved down to Texas laughed when it iced over and said they knew how to drive in it.  It was hilarious.

Offline Smokin Joe

About 30+ years ago I lived in the 'burbs. The folks that had moved down to Texas laughed when it iced over and said they knew how to drive in it.  It was hilarious.
Snow is one thing, Ice is something else. Driving in snow below the running boards isn't so bad, but on ice? Stay home, if at all possible.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Snow is one thing, Ice is something else. Driving in snow below the running boards isn't so bad, but on ice? Stay home, if at all possible.

Yeah - But up here we expect it... Tall pizza cutter tires, studs and siped all the way around... chains and cable chains... I reckon lacking that is why folks down south have a harder time... Not to mention hardly being used to it...  :shrug:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I was a tiny baby living in Sugar House, Utah at that time.

My father grew up in the Big Horn Basin, between Yellowstone and the Big Horn Mtns.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:05:39 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah - But up here we expect it... Tall pizza cutter tires, studs and siped all the way around... chains and cable chains... I reckon lacking that is why folks down south have a harder time... Not to mention hardly being used to it...  :shrug:
Yeah, you can run on slicks on a dry road, (not so well in water, they hydroplane), but you aren't going anywhere on snow with them.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

When I bought my 53 Willys it came with dual wheels front and back with dual chains for the front. Not for snow though. It was an old school mudder. My Gremlin was another story. If there was any snow on the road it wouldn't take off under its own. My passenger would hafta get out, give it a shove and leisurely get back in while it slowly, slowly decided it would go down the road. It was just as bad at the beach. If I got off the hard packed sand, I was stuck. I gave it to my sister. She was so happy. At first.

Offline roamer_1

When I bought my 53 Willys it came with dual wheels front and back with dual chains for the front. Not for snow though. It was an old school mudder. My Gremlin was another story. If there was any snow on the road it wouldn't take off under its own. My passenger would hafta get out, give it a shove and leisurely get back in while it slowly, slowly decided it would go down the road. It was just as bad at the beach. If I got off the hard packed sand, I was stuck. I gave it to my sister. She was so happy. At first.

My buddy had a Gremlin back in the day... I don't remember the CID, but we stuffed the biggest AMC motor we could find in that thing... Got it out of a trashed AMX. Man that thing was fast. Scary as hell, but fast. Same problem. The dang thing got stuck on wet grass. And he parked it in the winter.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:43:08 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Joe Wooten

Illinoisians are no better during the first few snowfalls. There are idiots in 4WD vehicles that think they are invincible......

Offline Smokin Joe

Illinoisians are no better during the first few snowfalls. There are idiots in 4WD vehicles that think they are invincible......
Well, every summer we still get a new influx of people from elsewhere looking for work. Snow...Traffic circles....(guaranteed drifts)....

Fewer little cars, and even a car dealer which specializes in "lifted" trucks.

C S Lewis

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
My little truck does next to nothing positive on Ice (Snow in the South)... I just stay home or asked to boss to pick me up when he passed by.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:26:15 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

My little truck does next to nothing positive on Ice (Snow in the South)... I just stay home or asked to boss to pick me up when he passed by.
Little trucks can do okay, but it takes aggressive tread on the tires and weight in the back. Studs can help but are restricted for their months of use in most places, requiring a second set of tires. Most AT rated tread are okay, but they are a bit much for average summer driving, and tend to be a little noisy (tire hum).

Like this:

If you go that route, run them front and back, even on a 2WD (you do all your pushing with the back wheels, but 90% of your stopping and all of your steering with the front ones).   With tires with tread along those lines, I have driven in the oil patch in North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado, and Nevada with 2WD vans (well loaded with gear) and seldom even had to chain up. I run the same skins on my 4WD vehicles, too. Because 4 are from the same model block, interchangeability factors in for me, too, but I like to keep the same set on the vehicle because with 4WD, circumference matters (all tires the same reduces stress on the drive train).

Tread matters little on glare ice/black ice, and I have dealt with that situation a couple of times, too.

Technique matters.

I understand it's hard to justify the expense, etc. when you live further south, but even a set of chains and a couple of sandbags in the back can make a difference.

Another tip: A sack of oil dry (20 bucks at any auto parts store) or kitty litter will give you spot traction on ice, just throw a couple of scoops on the ice under the tires and along the intended path of travel to get moving.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:47:29 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I had a S15/Sonoma pickup and it was light in the rear. I'd put several bags of sand in the rear during the winter. It really helped with traction. Many times I'd end up using the sand, sanding my street corner. I've got a corner lot, and it'd ice over.

Offline roamer_1

I had a S15/Sonoma pickup and it was light in the rear. I'd put several bags of sand in the rear during the winter. It really helped with traction. Many times I'd end up using the sand, sanding my street corner. I've got a corner lot, and it'd ice over.

I usually drive a Chevy 3/4T or 1T 4x4... Back in the day I had a sheet of 1/2 plate steel to throw in the back in the winter... After steel went through the roof, I started carrying a framed deck in the back filled with sand... 2x4 with 3/4" plywood on top. Holes drilled in the plywood so water would run down into the sand and freeze as it came. Still do that. But I liked the steel better.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I have a steel plate (if you'd call it that - its only 1/4") in the back of my 56 3/4 ton. Not a 4x4 thou. Never got stuck. I've pulled many a vehicle outta the mud. I even pulled a wrecker out once. I only tried to pull a semi out once. Not enough traction.

Offline roamer_1

I have a steel plate (if you'd call it that - its only 1/4") in the back of my 56 3/4 ton. Not a 4x4 thou. Never got stuck. I've pulled many a vehicle outta the mud. I even pulled a wrecker out once. I only tried to pull a semi out once. Not enough traction.

I want a 58 Chevy Fleet side longbox... Kinda my unicorn. All jacked up on top of a 70/80's 4x4 chassis with a ground pounding porker under the hood. I think they look tough as hell up on 44's.

But 1/4" plate wasn't enough for around here. I know, I tried it.