Author Topic: Choose your firearm and your shot with care, and do the same when choosing bear deterrents  (Read 796 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
John Schandelmeier | Alaska Outdoors 9/10/2019

A couple of weeks back I wrote about bears, guns and pepper spray. I am a gun advocate. Some disagree about the effectiveness of firearms vs. bear spray. I won’t argue the point, but ask only that anyone taking an extended hike into the woods check in with themselves. Would you, personally, rather have an aerosol can or a shotgun in the face of a charging animal? Make your choice and take your chances.

Meanwhile, it is hunting season and the majority of us who hunt are carrying some type of firearm. I am not a gun expert. Most hunters, me included, sight in our rifles and can generally hit what we aim at.

Few hunters are expert marksmen. I have shot a couple of moose at 600 yards, but shots should not be attempted at those distances except as a last resort to stop a wounded animal from escaping. Fortunately for moose, antler restrictions dictate close looks before a hunter decides to pull the trigger.

A week or so ago I forbore a shot at a small moose. Normally I hunt with a .300 Winchester but I was carrying my dad’s .264 Winchester Magnum. The .264 works for caribou, but it is light for moose.

One might ask why. The .264 was developed as an American alternative to the 6.5mm popular in Europe. The .264 is effective with a 140 gr bullet. The muzzle velocity is similar to that of the .300 and it carries at distance quite well. The foot-pounds of energy at 300 yards is 20% less for the .264 than that of the .300 Winchester.

More: https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/2019/09/09/choose-your-firearm-and-your-shot-with-care-and-do-the-same-when-choosing-bear-deterrents/