Author Topic: Warren raises 2020 stakes by vowing to ban fracking 'everywhere' on first day as president  (Read 696 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Warren raises 2020 stakes by vowing to ban fracking 'everywhere' on first day as president
Washington Times, Sep 7, 2019, Valerie Richardson

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts Democrat, said Friday she would immediately ban fracking if elected president, drawing pushback from critics who said the move would cripple the U.S. oil-and-gas industry and force the nation to import fossil fuels.

“On my first day as president, I will sign an executive order that puts a total moratorium on all new fossil fuel leases for drilling offshore and on public lands. And I will ban fracking—everywhere,” tweeted Ms. Warren.

Her announcement came with environmentalists urging her to join Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who issued a statement Wednesday calling for a “full fracking ban on public and private lands,” putting the two progressives at the anti-fracking forefront of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary field.

Environmental groups have decried hydraulic fracturing as a threat to public safety and the climate, while critics warned that a nationwide ban would deal a devastating blow to the economy. Most U.S. oil-and-gas extraction involves fracking.

University of Colorado professor Roger A. Pielke Jr. said that Ms. Warren’s plan would force the nation to rely on foreign fossil-fuel imports.

More:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/7/elizabeth-warrens-call-ban-fracking-everywhere-fue/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You have to be kidding me. That twit probably couldn't even begin to explain the process, and I'd bet couldn't articulate how an oil or gas well is constructed. Not that that matters. When the natural gas reservoirs depleted, before the end of her term, she'd be wishing the lights would stay on, because all those coal plants converted to natural gas wouldn't be able to throw a switch and convert back.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline xyno

Insane, to be sure.  I worry less that a politician can utter such nonsense than I do about the masses buying it.

Offline aligncare

Insane, to be sure.  I worry less that a politician can utter such nonsense than I do about the masses buying it.

Well, it’s not the dictionary definition of “politics,” but, I think you just gave us the working definition of it.

Offline xyno

Well, it’s not the dictionary definition of “politics,” but, I think you just gave us the working definition of it.

It appears I did.

Offline bilo

Unfortunately the masses have bought into the idea that the food that feeds plants is a poison.

The northeast is so misguided that they aren't building new pipelines and as a result there isn't enough capacity to carry natural gas to homes to heat them during the winter. The problem is so bad that in areas of NY if a customer turned off their gas why they rehabbed a property the gas company won't turn it back on.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
liz is just sending virtual smoke signals.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That is one way that Texans will tell a President to 'stick it' if it is ever tried.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Squaw Lieawatha intends to be a one-Indian wrecking crew!

Offline LMAO

I worry less that a politician can utter such nonsense than I do about the masses buying it.

Yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Has anyone done a reliable study on the impact of fracking on the price of a gallon of gas?  Might make a decent negative ad.

And does fracking impact natural gas prices?  I've never lived in the NE, but I understand they spend stupid amounts on heating up there every winter, something voters would probably be thinking about in October.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

Has anyone done a reliable study on the impact of fracking on the price of a gallon of gas?  Might make a decent negative ad.

And does fracking impact natural gas prices?  I've never lived in the NE, but I understand they spend stupid amounts on heating up there every winter, something voters would probably be thinking about in October.

Consider that gasoline prices which had come close to $5/gallon have dropped to ~$2.70 here in North Dakota, and may well be cheaper elsewhere.

Natural Gas prices are reduced as well.

But in New England they suffer from New York policy where they won't allow the pipelines needed to supply the other states.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Since the Marcellus natural gas play is the largest gas development ever seen in the US and is situated in the Northeast, it has a tremendous downward pull on the price of heating fuel and power generation in the most concentrated population center of the US.

The Marcellus extends under New York state.

If a study is ever done, it should include the upward effect on gas prices and the drain on state economy by New York state's frac ban that stifles jobs, tax revenue, royalties and adds to the gas prices paid by New Yorkers.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If she tries to ban anything on her first day as President, she'll find herself quickly enjoined because of the violation of the Administrative Procedures Act.

Offline PeteS in CA

Translating into plain English: "If elected President, my first act will be to kill thousands of jobs!"
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thackney

$8 gas prices possible with no fracking, energy expert says
https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/8-gas-prices-possible-with-no-fracking-energy-expert-says

Fracking Saves Americans $180 Billion Annually On Gasoline
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2017/06/02/fracking-saves-consumers-180-billion-annually-on-gasoline/#4804af0012dd
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

Since the Marcellus natural gas play is the largest gas development ever seen in the US and is situated in the Northeast, it has a tremendous downward pull on the price of heating fuel and power generation in the most concentrated population center of the US.

The Marcellus extends under New York state.

If a study is ever done, it should include the upward effect on gas prices and the drain on state economy by New York state's frac ban that stifles jobs, tax revenue, royalties and adds to the gas prices paid by New Yorkers.
It isn't just the ban on hydraulic fracturing that leaves vast resources untapped to the detriment of New Yorkers, mineral rights owners, would-be workers, and consumers alike, it is the ban on pipelines which would allow New Yorkers to benefit from the gas being produced elsewhere.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/05/06/new-yorks-natural-gas-pipeline-ban-unconstitutional-bad-for-the-environment-economy-consumers/#6ac0c945604f

In addition, because of its strategic position, New York is imposing this ban effectively on every State to the Northeast of them, effectively blocking the access to cheap power generation fuel and home heating fuel to the rest of New England.

You'd think there would be an Interstate Commerce Clause angle there somewhere.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Translating into plain English: "If elected President, my first act will be to kill thousands of jobs!"
That's just the beginning. Much of the midwest and northern plains depend on natural gas for a home heating fuel.

Decline rates in shale play gas wells are steep, dropping some 80+% from initial production to a slower decline rate in later years, generally after roughly two years. Ban new drilling and completions, and the completion of DUC wells (Drilled but UnCompleted--some 8500 wells as of Feb, 2019), and the depletion rate will bite America in the wallet. The number of DUCs is estimated to pass 10,000 this year. source With a ban on hydraulic fracturing, those wells would not be completed, accelerating the decline in natural gas production.

With this in mind, note:

(From: mons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=77408594)

and electricity becomes a problem as well, with coal generation plants being replaced by Natural Gas powered electrical generation plants. So, heating and cooling with electricity only seems safe, when actually, nearly a third of electricity relies on Natural Gas for the fuel that generates it.
No conceivable number of wind farms and solar arrays will be able to replace the power generation capacity lost in time to keep people from freezing to death in winter and dying of heatstroke in summer. The cost of refrigerating food will skyrocket, as will every KWH of electricity.
It's beyond insanity, it's suicidal.

C S Lewis