Author Topic: Trump’s plan to stem border crossings gets results  (Read 300 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump’s plan to stem border crossings gets results
« on: September 08, 2019, 12:14:03 pm »
Trump’s plan to stem border crossings gets results
Politico, Sep 8, 2019,  Ted Hesson

President Donald Trump’s plan to force Mexico to stem the flow of migrants across the southwest border of the U.S. appears to be working.

Border arrests, a metric for illegal crossings, plummeted to 51,000 in August, according to preliminary government figures obtained by POLITICO Wednesday, down more than 60 percent since a peak in May. And border watchers say it’s largely because of an agreement Trump struck with Mexico in June. Mexican authorities, backed by the newly formed National Guard, are now cracking down on migrants traversing Mexico’s southern border with Guatemala, monitoring river crossings and stopping buses carrying migrants from Central America through Mexico. At the same time, the U.S. is making tens of thousands of asylum seekers wait in Mexico while their applications are considered.

The decline in border traffic — if sustained — could amount to a major victory for Trump as he heads into the 2020 election. Perhaps more important, the experimental measures taken by his administration could reshape immigration enforcement for years to come.

“I think that they are getting exactly what they said they would get, by forcing the hand of Mexico,” said Oscar Chacón, executive director of Chicago-based pro-migrant group Alianza Americas. “But the question is, ‘Is it sustainable?’”

More:  https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/08/donald-trump-border-arrests-results-1712730

Offline bilo

Re: Trump’s plan to stem border crossings gets results
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 02:19:26 pm »
I really appreciate all the different thngs Trump has been doing to try and get control over illegal immigration. I think once we get into the fall we will see if the drop continues. Traditionally illegal immigration slows during the summer and then rises again in the fall. The change though in the last several years has been the organized caravans and the manipulation of the asylum laws.

It really is impressive how Trump keeps pushing ahead even though a segment of the judiciary has fought him every step of the way. If the SCOTUS rules correctly Trump should be able to end the DACA program that obama created illegally and maybe at that point the Rats will finally agree to real reform. I know it's a longshot on both counts, but I try to remain hopeful.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home