Author Topic: Lee, Romney Propose Legislation to Prevent Trump from Diverting Funds to Border Wall  (Read 940 times)

Offline mrclose

And to think, lots of folks wanted Romney for president and others thought that Lee would make a great Supreme Court Judge as a Trump selection!  :shrug:

Republican Senators Mike Lee and Mitt Romney have co-sponsored legislation that will prevent President Trump in the future of diverting federal funds to border wall construction.

The two Republican senators name their bill the Article One Act and it will end all future emergency declarations made under the National Emergencies Act after 30 days unless Congress votes to extend them.

Existing laws allow the president of the United States to reprogram existing appropriations for certain purposes.

President Trump declared a national emergency Friday citing cartel violence, human trafficking and drug trafficking to access funds to build the border wall.

So where was the outrage after Obama Declared National Emergencies 13 Times Including Swine Flu, Iran and Flint Water Crisis?

KSL reported:

Utah GOP Sens. Mike Lee and Mitt Romney said the Air Force told them Wednesday that money appropriated by Congress for the Hill projects would instead be spent on the wall as a result of President Donald Trump’s emergency declaration in February. Both senators had urged the Defense Department to protect funding for the Utah projects.

“Congress has been ceding far too much power to the executive branch for decades and it is far past time for Congress to restore the proper balance of power between the three branches,” Lee said in a statement.

Pentagon officials on Tuesday said the Defense Department would redirect $3.6 billion from 127 existing military construction projects to build about 175 miles of wall on the southern border.

Lee said his proposed Article One Act would correct the imbalances caused by the National Emergencies Act.

The bill, co-sponsored by Romney, would automatically end all future emergency declarations made under the National Emergencies Act after 30 days unless Congress votes to extend them. Congress now can cancel an emergency declaration only by passing a resolution that withstands a presidential veto.

Romney said he is “disappointed” that despite the concerns he and Lee raised, the projects will be “delayed.”

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/09/senators-lee-and-romney-propose-legislation-to-prevent-president-trump-from-diverting-funds-to-border-wall-construction/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline jpsb

That sumbitch Lee has turned into a POS.....

Mike Like has always been a POS. Dido Mitt

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Most likely correct....  I sometimes forget that they are all actors playing a role....  especially when one of the characters appears to be very appealing on several fronts....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
One thing about those rats..they always stick together no matter what...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Romney's daddy came here illegally from Mexico.

Offline skeeter

What happened to Mike Lee?

He used to be one of the two or three I trusted, the bastard.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Romney, well, everyone knows he's in the running to become McCain II.

But Lee? Whasssamatta with him?

Last time I was in Utah (admittedly, it was 35 years ago) I thought the place was great.
What happened to those folks out there?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Lee's right on this one.

It's Congress' job to allocate funds, and the Executive's job to spend them as allocated.  I can almost see the NEA being (or having been) reasonable to allow POTUS to act quickly when Congress can't, almost, like a sudden emergency when Congress is out of session.  But 30 days later?  No way.  That's just a perversion of the separation of power provided in the Constitution.  Might as well just go back to monarchy. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Those aren't Republicans. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Those aren't Republicans.

They are 2019 Republicans.....

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Ah, another one that dares disagree with Trump and becomes POS territory to his sycophants.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Trump should run aggressively against all RINOs, supporting any and all challengers, and not do what he did with that POS Ryan!

Romney is a Democommie.  He is a joke. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
They are 2019 Republicans.....

And the precise reason I no longer am a Republican. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And the precise reason I no longer am a Republican.

Yes, but you're still a thinking man.  I respect that.

Offline mrclose

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has long expressed its position that immigration reform should strengthen families and keep them together.

The forced separation of children from their parents now occurring at the U.S.-Mexico border is harmful to families, especially to young children.

We are deeply troubled by the aggressive and insensitive treatment of these families.

While we recognize the right of all nations to enforce their laws and secure their borders, we encourage our national leaders to take swift action to correct this situation and seek for rational, compassionate solutions.”
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:31:43 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline libertybele

That sumbitch Lee has turned into a POS.....

Indeed he absolutely has; this isn't the first time that he's sided with liberals and RINO's.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Ah, another one that dares disagree with Trump and becomes POS territory to his sycophants.

??? Woah.  Wait a minute.  We need a border wall!!!!  The sovereignty of our country is at stake, so yes, Romney and Lee are crap.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
??? Woah.  Wait a minute.  We need a border wall!!!!  The sovereignty of our country is at stake, so yes, Romney and Lee are crap.

They are on this issue, which is my #2 issue right behind stopping the gungrabbers.  I really have no idea why Lee is so hot to stop the wall.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I don't think they or at least Lee are so much against the wall, (maybe their voting records would tell), they are against appropriating funds from other places to build the wall.

This issue came up before, the "border emergency" funding from a few months ago.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Romney, well, everyone knows he's in the running to become McCain II.

But Lee? Whasssamatta with him?

Last time I was in Utah (admittedly, it was 35 years ago) I thought the place was great.
What happened to those folks out there?
All the GOP had to do was sell a former Massachusetts Governor as a hometown boy...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don't think they or at least Lee are so much against the wall, (maybe their voting records would tell), they are against appropriating funds from other places to build the wall.

This issue came up before, the "border emergency" funding from a few months ago.
I think the LDS elders are doing the thinking for Romney, not sure about Lee. (And people worried about John Kennedy because he was Catholic...)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis