Author Topic: Buttigieg Defends Abortion by Suggesting the Bible Says ‘Life Begins with Breath’  (Read 9203 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   Buttigieg Defends Abortion by Suggesting the Bible Says ‘Life Begins with Breath’
By Alexandra DeSanctis

September 6, 2019 4:33 PM

In an interview this morning on The Breakfast Club radio show, South Bend mayor and Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg attempted to rationalize his support for legal abortion until birth by suggesting that perhaps human life begins at the moment of a child’s first breath. Here’s what he said:

[Pro-life people] hold everybody in line with this one piece of doctrine about abortion, which is obviously a tough issue for a lot of people to think through morally. Then again, there’s a lot of parts of the Bible that talk about how life begins with breath. Even that is something that we can interpret differently. . . . No matter what you think about the cosmic question of how life begins, most Americans can get on board with the idea of, ‘I might draw the here. You might draw the line there.’ The most important thing is the person who should be drawing the line is the woman making the decision.

It’s the latest salvo in a long string of attempts by Buttigieg to paint his entire progressive agenda as the only acceptable set of policies for a moral Christian, insisting that a proper interpretation of Christianity will “point you in a progressive direction.” Time and again, the mayor — who considers himself a faithful Episcopalian — has derided Republicans and conservative Christians for their supposed hypocrisy and immorality, while proclaiming the objective moral correctness of his own policy prescriptions.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/pete-buttigieg-defends-abortion-suggests-bible-says-life-begins-with-breath/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

My understanding is that the basis for this claim - Mayor B is not original in making this claim - is Genesis 2:7. Here it is, in context:

2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created – when the Lord God made the earth and heavens.

2:5 Now no shrub of the field had yet grown on the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground. 2:6 Springs would well up from the earth and water the whole surface of the ground. 2:7 The Lord God formed the man from the soil of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

I think even folks not especially familiar with the Bible could spot the problems in these verse for Mayor B's claim. Mayor B found a nominally Christian "church" that tells him what he wants to hear and then repeats that as if it had something to do with Christianity.

More generally, it never ceases to amaze me the way pols who know little or nothing of the Bible publicly display their ignorance through very public foolish comments. Like this one.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
My understanding is that the basis for this claim - Mayor B is not original in making this claim - is Genesis 2:7. Here it is, in context:

I think even folks not especially familiar with the Bible could spot the problems in these verse for Mayor B's claim. Mayor B found a nominally Christian "church" that tells him what he wants to hear and then repeats that as if it had something to do with Christianity.

More generally, it never ceases to amaze me the way pols who know little or nothing of the Bible publicly display their ignorance through very public foolish comments. Like this one.

I saw it from the onset, this clown's "I represent real Christianity" meme is just a campaign strategy....  it was designed to offset the "but he is a fag" objections....

All of what these actors display in 21st century campaigns are nothing but carefully curated images and roles, schemed out in advance as vote collection tools....

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Buttigieg is right.  Abortion is a moral question upon which reasonable, moral minds will differ.   The question is who has the right to make that decision.

And the answer should be:  every woman must have the right to decide for herself, on the basis of her own conscience informed by her experience,  her faith and those who love and support her.

It is not a decision to be compelled by government.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline The_Reader_David

There is a reason that Christian hermeneutics, from the earliest days of the Church always followed the principle eventually neatly summarized by the Anglicans (back when they all took Christian faith and morals as seriously as they still do in Africa) as "neither may it [the Church] so expound one place of Scripture, that it be repugnant to another."

Buttigieg ignores multiple passages in the Psalms, Isaiah and the Gospels (regarding John the Baptist in the womb of Elizabeth) making clear not merely the material life, but even the spiritual life, of a child in the womb, and expounds the creation account in a way repugnant to them.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline PeteS in CA

Government forbids murder, along with other forms of violence against human beings. The not yet born baby is human, distinct from the the mother, alive, and growing in a continuous process that starts with fertilization, and if not ended prematurely by violence or disease, ends in old age. Killing a not yet born baby is homicide.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I saw it from the onset, this clown's "I represent real Christianity" meme is just a campaign strategy....  it was designed to offset the "but he is a fag" objections....

All of what these actors display in 21st century campaigns are nothing but carefully curated images and roles, schemed out in advance as vote collection tools....

Very well stated. Bill Clinton was often photographed in public, Bible in hand.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjbltD7nr_kAhVXnp4KHdf_BlYQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftammybruce.com%2F2015%2F09%2Fhillary-we-are-not-the-first-family-while-at-church.html&psig=AOvVaw3Muk7Kwh_uSrb5wscNMyn-&ust=1567963913789672
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

There is a reason that Christian hermeneutics, from the earliest days of the Church always followed the principle eventually neatly summarized by the Anglicans (back when they all took Christian faith and morals as seriously as they still do in Africa) as "neither may it [the Church] so expound one place of Scripture, that it be repugnant to another."

Buttigieg ignores multiple passages in the Psalms, Isaiah and the Gospels (regarding John the Baptist in the womb of Elizabeth) making clear not merely the material life, but even the spiritual life, of a child in the womb, and expounds the creation account in a way repugnant to them.

Mayor B practices Cafeterianity, of the Buffeterian variety.

Offline PeteS in CA

Actually, I think he's trying to build on the MSM's decades-long demonizing of "Fundamentalists", not realizing that it's vulnerable to people simply meeting and getting to know their next door neighbors and coworkers. Bigotry like that needs isolation and ignorance to thrive. Theologically conservative Christians are not in an isolated corner of society and getting to know them (us!) is too easy for Mayor B's Fundy Card to work.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The aberrant minded mayor with his twisted sense of right is far from what most Americans subscribe to, even in 2019.

And all the supporters of Planned Parenthood are fools to believe that Margaret Sanger had anything in mind that was noble or in the best interests of women.  Her whole focus was the control of the undesirables, the people of color, the poor, Jews, Catholics, etc.  Nothing that woman did should be woven as a part of the fabric of this country.  She should be held in the same contempt as Hitler himself, who she supposedly inspired in regard to the Final Solution of the Jews.  But then again, most people walking the land are clueless of history.

Heck, I grew up believing Lindbergh was a hero of sorts, but the things they never told you, like he worked with Sanger to find means to control the undesirables.  Lindbergh and his wife were planning to leave the USA and move to Germany they loved the Nazi form of governance, etc so much.  Hitler attacked Poland, and he just did not make it there in time.

Scott Peterson, a genuinely deplorable man who murdered his wife and unborn child was indicted, convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of his unborn child, besides receiving the same outcome for his wife.  How can we sentence him to death and rationalize it is perfectly ok for a woman to kill her unborn child.  It makes no sense.

Abortion is mass genocide, and our country has not been right since 1972.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Buttigieg is right.  Abortion is a moral question upon which reasonable, moral minds will differ.   The question is who has the right to make that decision.

And the answer should be:  every woman must have the right to decide for herself, on the basis of her own conscience informed by her experience,  her faith and those who love and support her.

Wrong.  Every woman should not be able to have their child murdered.  Abortion right up to the time of birth.  That is murder.  The baby is a living human being that feels pain.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Wrong.  Every woman should not be able to have their child murdered.  Abortion right up to the time of birth.  That is murder.  The baby is a living human being that feels pain.

He comes here to support murder almost every day....

Offline Chosen Daughter

He comes here to support murder almost every day....

I know, I've noticed.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline OfTheCross

I don't recall ever having read in the bible that life begins at breath or that life begins at conception either.

I see what @PeteS in CA posted, it's interesting, but I don't think it says what Mayor Pete wants it to say.

Abortion should just be up the the person to decide, imo.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't recall ever having read in the bible that life begins at breath or that life begins at conception either.

I see what @PeteS in CA posted, it's interesting, but I don't think it says what Mayor Pete wants it to say.

Which person?  The one being aborted or the one doing the abortion?

Offline Chosen Daughter

Stream Live Now  News Find Us Recent Coverage Trials On Demand 

Talent About Us Press Contact
Former Cheerleader on Trial for Killing Newborn Daughter
September 3, 2019

https://www.courttv.com/news/cheerleader-accused-of-killing-her-newborn-baby-trial-begins-sept-3/

This girl faces life in prison for essentially the same thing that the Democrats support.  Killing the baby at birth.  Or up until birth.  You tell me how this is different?  Why should people feel any outrage at this mother (not) anymore?  Where is the line drawn?  Its OK for a "doctor" to kill, but not a stupid teenager?

Had she gone to an abortion doctor she could have murdered her baby and her cheerleader shape would have been back.  No problem.  No investigation.  No prison time. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:20:40 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline OfTheCross

Which person?  The one being aborted or the one doing the abortion?

The one with a Social Security number.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Then you agree with Dave Chappelle opinion on this mater.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Ok then.
A Social Security Number now defines life?
So....all the illegals can be killed at will?
After all, they are not really alive.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Ok then.
A Social Security Number now defines life?
So....all the illegals can be killed at will?
After all, they are not really alive.

Speaking of that its in the news today.  A pregnant woman with contractions tries to cross the Rio Grand.  Is caught and given medicine to stop labor and sent back to Mexico.  Good. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@OfTheCross

With a name like yours I am surprised with your stance on abortion.... :crying:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@OfTheCross

All trolls take a name likely to be opposite of their true persona.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@OfTheCross

@mystery-ak
I share your view on this subject?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@mystery-ak
I share your view on this subject?

My view, if you are asking, is that I consider abortion murder at any stage of the pregnancy..
Support the USO

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Now I get it!  You have to be recognized by the government to be a person!

*****rollingeyes*****