Author Topic: Dan Patrick bucks NRA, calls for strengthening gun background checks  (Read 362 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Andrea Zelinski Sep. 6, 2019

With the mass shootings in El Paso and Odessa that killed 29 people last month fresh on Texans’ minds, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said he will lead the charge to close loopholes in gun laws that allow private sales between individuals without the background checks that are required for retail sales.

Patrick hit the media circuit Friday, saying on Fox News the National Rifle Association is “wrong” to resist regulation of stranger-to-stranger gun sales and telling the Dallas Morning News he is willing to “take an arrow” and defy the NRA to push for stronger background checks.

“I’m a strong NRA supporter and they’re a strong supporter of mine, but I believe they are wrong in not expanding background checks to stopping strangers from selling guns to strangers,” Patrick said in the Fox News interview. “They don’t know who they’re selling to. It could be a felon, it could be someone getting ready to rob a bank, or someone ready to commit a mass act of violence.”

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Dan-Patrick-bucks-NRA-calls-for-strengthening-14419923.php