Author Topic: Americans Have Shifted Dramatically on What Values Matter Most  (Read 451 times)

Offline OfTheCross

Americans Have Shifted Dramatically on What Values Matter Most
« on: September 04, 2019, 05:16:11 pm »
When the Journal/NBC News survey asked Americans 21 years ago to say which values were most important to them, strong majorities picked the principles of hard work, patriotism, commitment to religion and the goal of having children.

Today, hard work remains atop the list, but the shares of Americans listing the other three values have fallen substantially, driven by changing priorities of people under age 50.

Some 61% in the new survey cited patriotism as very important to them, down 9 percentage points from 1998, while 50% cited religion, down 12 points. Some 43% placed a high value on having children, down 16 points from 1998.

Views varied sharply by age. Among people 55 and older, for example, nearly 80% said patriotism was very important, compared with 42% of those ages 18-38—the millennial generation and older members of Gen-Z. Two-thirds of the older group cited religion as very important, compared with fewer than one-third of the younger group.

Generational differences on personal values were most pronounced among Democrats. In fact, the views of Democrats over age 50 were more in line with those of younger Republicans than with younger members of their own party.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-have-shifted-dramatically-on-what-values-matter-most-11566738001

If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Americans Have Shifted Dramatically on What Values Matter Most
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:26:39 pm »
Kinda hard to read the rest of the article when it's hidden behind a paywall.  Doesn't let anyone know the survey sample size...margin of error stuff like that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:04:34 pm »
Man hardly needs some idiotic poll to discern values and virtues in contrast to their opposites.
The Enlightenment and its 'best bud", capitalism, ushered in materialism as the solution to 
Mankind's problems, insisting material betterment, aka more stuff;  would create heaven on earth.
We are paying the price for that fateful road taken some 300 years ago.
The previous 9,000 years, despite its warts, was anchored by a moral order derived from
Natural Law, which expressed a pervasive spiritual sensibility.
All that is gone and sadly, largely forgotten; and we are far worse for it!!!!!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:14:17 pm »
Liberals have worked 50+ years to bring the numbers in that poll (assuming they are accurate) down to where they are.

Sadly it won't take another 50 years to drive them lower unless something changes soon.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 08:21:44 pm »
Kinda hard to read the rest of the article when it's hidden behind a paywall.  Doesn't let anyone know the survey sample size...margin of error stuff like that.

I avoid TWSJ and minimize use of the WashPost because of their paywalls.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 01:17:29 am »

What you don't know can't hurt him.  For WSJ, I usually copy the title, Goggle it and WSJ lets me in from there.  Not thinking this one is worth my precious time.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 01:18:13 am »
I avoid TWSJ and minimize use of the WashPost because of their paywalls.

I jimmy the doors when I can....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 01:35:59 am »
I found this article which appears to be the survey.  https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/08/28/poll-american-values

And here is detailed survey results.  https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6336787-19305-NBCWSJ-August-Social-Trends-Poll.html

Appears 1000 people were sampled.  Tt seems to have a fairly high sampling of 18-24 year olds(11%),  but I do not see a breakdown by age group for the answers to see the impact.

One things appears clear on how the answers were skewed on survey compared to past surveys.  Page 4 of report shows several new questions were asked that are close to other answers (Belief in God was added as well as keeping Religion}

And a terrible new question Tolerance was added that got high marks.

All in all, it appears results can be questioned in the different approach made in asking questions.

Oranges and Apples. @txradioguy
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:36:48 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 01:44:22 am »
What this country needs is a substantial "terror" attack followed by a nice "war" to get these little bastards back in line.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 01:48:35 am »
I found this article which appears to be the survey.  https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/08/28/poll-american-values

And here is detailed survey results.  https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6336787-19305-NBCWSJ-August-Social-Trends-Poll.html

Appears 1000 people were sampled.  Tt seems to have a fairly high sampling of 18-24 year olds(11%),  but I do not see a breakdown by age group for the answers to see the impact.

One things appears clear on how the answers were skewed on survey compared to past surveys.  Page 4 of report shows several new questions were asked that are close to other answers (Belief in God was added as well as keeping Religion}

And a terrible new question Tolerance was added that got high marks.

All in all, it appears results can be questioned in the different approach made in asking questions.

Oranges and Apples. @txradioguy

Thanks for finding that info.  It's about what I expected.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 01:54:43 am »
Thanks for finding that info.  It's about what I expected.

Let me guess.  95% BS 5% science.  How did I do?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 02:23:21 am »
What this country needs is a substantial "terror" attack followed by a nice "war" to get these little bastards back in line.

@bigheadfred  The last time that happened, it turned out we were the little bastards they were out to get.   9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 02:29:32 am »
Meh.

Young skulls full of mush...
Ask em what they think once they have kids, mortgages, and elders to care for.
See what they say when their brothers have died in war.
See what they say when they've raised up businesses, and seen taxes take what little profit they make
See what they say once that have encountered illness and death, and prayed brokenhearted over a dying child... and have found that God has been with them every step of the way.

Foolish surveys assume the 'change' is permanent.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 02:38:09 am »
Meh.

Young skulls full of mush...
Ask em what they think once they have kids, mortgages, and elders to care for.
See what they say when their brothers have died in war.
See what they say when they've raised up businesses, and seen taxes take what little profit they make
See what they say once that have encountered illness and death, and prayed brokenhearted over a dying child... and have found that God has been with them every step of the way.

Foolish surveys assume the 'change' is permanent.

"Foolish surveys," you could just stop right there.  Every damned survey about the Election is the epitome of "foolish."
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 03:29:27 am »
@bigheadfred  The last time that happened, it turned out we were the little bastards they were out to get.   9999hair out0000

It'll be different this time. Really. Say something happens to Biden's round the country rolling mausoleum and a handful of midlevel indignitaries at a sideshow stopover...

Maybe they could blame it on those guys from that central Africa area that is holding my $2 until I hand over my bank account info.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley