Author Topic: CBP Denies (Re)admission to Foreign Students; Arizona State University Presses for Their Return  (Read 239 times)

rangerrebew

CBP Denies (Re)admission to Foreign Students; Arizona State University Presses for Their Return

By Dan Cadman on September 3, 2019

On August 20, the Center published my Backgrounder on the risks to our country associated with a burgeoning foreign student and exchange scholar population.

Among the points I made was that American universities have become entirely too reliant on the revenue generated by such students, who bring in the highest fees for tuition and living arrangements — often offset by their governments, China being the notable example. Another point I made is that the Student and Exchange Visitor Program, a small office within Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE-SEVP) has become the handmaiden of academia rather than a compliance watchdog.

On August 30, USA Today published a story that exemplifies that point all too clearly. Nine Chinese students were denied admission by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to return to their studies at Arizona State University, and it is clear that ASU mounted a press offensive to try to bring pressure on CBP or other Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agencies to try to get the situation reversed.

https://cis.org/Cadman/CBP-Denies-Readmission-Foreign-Students-Arizona-State-University-Presses-Their-Return