Author Topic: Doctors say diet of fries and chips left teen "fussy eater" blind from malnutrition  (Read 777 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Doctors say diet of fries and chips left teen "fussy eater" blind from malnutrition

An English boy who eats nothing but French fries, potato chips and the occasional piece of ham has been left blind due to the extreme vitamin deficiency in his diet, doctors in Britain said in a report published Tuesday. One of the doctors behind the article in the Annals of Internal Medicine personally treated the "fussy eater" from Bristol over the course of three years, and said he was previously healthy and took no medicines.

"His diet was essentially a portion of chips (fries) from the local fish and chip shop every day," the doctor, Denize Atan, told CBS News partner network BBC News. "He also used to snack on crisps (chips) — Pringles — and sometimes slices of white bread and occasional slices of ham, and not really any fruit and vegetables."

Atan said she first treated the boy at the age of 14, when he came in complaining of chronic tiredness. She diagnosed him with anemia and a deficiency in vitamin B12, along with copper, selenium and vitamin D. Atan gave the boy B12 injections and told him he'd have to start eating a more varied diet.

Read more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/british-teenager-went-blind-from-eating-only-fries-and-chips-doctors-say-warning-over-junk-food-caused-malnutrition/

Offline Applewood

It's a believable story.  I personally know a few women who have tried some fad diet that eliminates certain foods and ended up with nutritional-deficiency illnesses. 

I guess the parents were permissive -- let him eat what he wanted or not eat those things he didn't like.  When I was a kid, Mom insisted we eat our vegetables and "cleaned our plate" before we could have any desserts or snacks.  This was typical of parents back in the '50s.  Maybe parents don't do that now. 

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
After years of Chips and fries...I think it would be safe to say he was very obese.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop, Swears he's Elvis

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop, Swears he's Elvis

Is there's a pretty little thing
Waiting for the King
Down in the Jungle Room?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online dfwgator

It's a believable story.  I personally know a few women who have tried some fad diet that eliminates certain foods and ended up with nutritional-deficiency illnesses. 

I guess the parents were permissive -- let him eat what he wanted or not eat those things he didn't like.  When I was a kid, Mom insisted we eat our vegetables and "cleaned our plate" before we could have any desserts or snacks.  This was typical of parents back in the '50s.  Maybe parents don't do that now.

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.  How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"

Offline PeteS in CA

Your story reminds me of gagging down cauliflower and Brussels sprouts (both plain-boiled, served with a dollop of mayo).

Going blind due to vitamin A deficiency? Who could have foreseen that?! 22222frying pan Even sweet potato "chips" (= fries) might've prevented that kid's blindness.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Applewood

Your story reminds me of gagging down cauliflower and Brussels sprouts (both plain-boiled, served with a dollop of mayo).

Going blind due to vitamin A deficiency? Who could have foreseen that?! 22222frying pan Even sweet potato "chips" (= fries) might've prevented that kid's blindness.

The weird part about having Mom almost putting a gun to my head to eat certain foods like vegetables is that when I got older, I actually started to like the foods I hated as a kid.  You mentioned  Brussels sprouts.  As a kid, I hated them.  Now I love them, especially when they are roasted.  Go figure.   :shrug:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
The weird part about having Mom almost putting a gun to my head to eat certain foods like vegetables is that when I got older, I actually started to like the foods I hated as a kid.  You mentioned  Brussels sprouts.  As a kid, I hated them.  Now I love them, especially when they are roasted.  Go figure.   :shrug:

Agree. Hated Brussels sprouts as a child love them now,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Wingnut

WTF. Are you like Canadian? Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray, all day, every day........

Offline berdie

Same here @Applewood  and @Gefn.  I love Brussel sprouts and asparagus now.  I like cauliflour when raw....or drenched in cheese sauce. But that kind of defeats the purpose of eating it. :laugh:

Offline PeteS in CA

WTF. Are you like Canadian? Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray, all day, every day........

Nope, California born-and-raised (in the saner Central Valley, not the Bay Area), as were my parents.

Asparagus, another vegetable I thoroughly disliked as a child ... and my Dad grew the stuff (he was a farmer).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.