Author Topic: 34 feared dead after boat fire near Santa Cruz Island, according to officials; Rescue underway  (Read 838 times)

Offline mountaineer

Those callers' speculation was that the cause could have been one of the passengers' several laptop or cell phone or camera or etc. lithium batteries that were being charged over night in the bunk or galley area (as is commonly done) caught fire. As I said, speculation.
I  believe the Coast Guard officer in charge of this situation also clarified that the hatches were not locked. Lithium batteries are as likely a cause as anything, I suspect.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I posted this earlier this AM on Conservative Underground:

A couple of people called in to KSFO's morning drive show today who had been on that boat 10-15 times each (independently, not together). They said that the company is top-notch and very safety conscious. A couple of points they made:

* Contrary to some media reports, there is no lockable hatch between the berthing area and the top deck;

* Contrary to some media reports, there was an escape to the outside at the rear of the berthing area;

* The company is meticulous about briefing passenger concerning safety features, including means of emergency exit;

* The boat had automated fire suppression equipment and heat detectors in key areas such as the engine and generator rooms, and the crew are trained to fight fire.

Those callers' speculation was that the cause could have been one of the passengers' several laptop or cell phone or camera or etc. lithium batteries that were being charged over night in the bunk or galley area (as is commonly done) caught fire. As I said, speculation.

I'll add here on TBR that they mentioned that the stairway from the berthing area to topside passes next to the galley, so that a fire there could impede/prevent escape to topside.

I am watching The Five (please don't judge me, I'm multitasking) and the ill-informed talking heads are ripping the crew and the charter company. It would insane to have a lock on the sleeping quarters and that is obviously false.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
No cause released yet pending interviews with the survivors. I heard only that an explosion did not cause the fire, but there could have been explosions as a result, preventing any rescue efforts.
Principles matter. Words matter.