Author Topic: 34 feared dead after boat fire near Santa Cruz Island, according to officials; Rescue underway  (Read 847 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
34 people feared dead after boat catches fire off California's Santa Cruz Island: officials
By Robert Gearty | Fox News

At least 34 people were feared dead after a boat caught fire off Santa Cruz Island, California, early Monday morning, officials have confirmed.

Fox affiliate KTTV earlier confirmed there were nearly three dozen fatalities, but Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr Matthew Kroll told Fox News the 34 people were unaccounted for from a commercial diving ship. The captain of the boat was helping with the rescue. Four other people were rescued.

Earlier, the U.S. Coast Guard tweeted that it was coordinating a large rescue effort Monday in response to the fire.

"The Coast Guard has launched multiple rescue assets along with assets from local agencies to assist more than 30 people in distress on a 75ft boat near Santa Cruz Island," Coast Guard LA said in a tweet shortly before 5 a.m. local time.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-killed-boat-fire-california-santa-cruz-island
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

34 feared dead after boat fire near Santa Cruz Island, according to officials; Rescue underway

VENTURA, Calif -- 34 people are feared dead following a boat fire off the Ventura County coast early Monday morning, according to the Ventura County Fire Department.

Initial reports said the U.S. Coast Guard had launched multiple rescue assets in conjunction with local agencies to assist more than 30 people in distress on a boat near Santa Cruz Island around around 4 a.m.
…
The Ventura County Fire Department said 34 people died, but the U.S. Coast Guard, which first reported the incident, has not confirmed any fatalities, according to KTLA.

Developing story.  More at:

https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/09/02/34-dead-after-boat-fire-near-santa-cruz-island-according-to-officials/

Offline skeeter

Scuba dive charter? Maybe the 34 took to the water & kicked to shore?

Offline Applewood

@mystery-ak

Sorry for the duplication. 

Offline Applewood

NBC and CBS are reporting "multiple deaths," but no confirmation of the number.   Personally, I think they are jumping the gun, as usual. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

NBC and CBS are reporting "multiple deaths," but no confirmation of the number.   Personally, I think they are jumping the gun, as usual.

Agree!

Offline PeteS in CA

Just to avert potential confusion, Santa Cruz Island is not near the city of Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz Island is one of the Channel Islands, south of Santa Barbara and west of Oxnard and NAS Point Mugu. It's much closer to the Land of LA than to the city of Santa Cruz.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

California boat fire: 34 on weekend diving charter missing, 5 crew members rescued
By Mark Puente and Brittny Mejia, Los Angeles Times
18 mins ago

The U.S. Coast Guard was involved in a massive rescue operation Monday morning after a 75-foot commercial diving boat caught fire off the coast of Ventura County, trapping dozens of people.

More than 30 people were missing and officials said some died. Many on the boat, which was off Santa Cruz Island, were believed to be sleeping below deck when the fire broke out and appear to have been trapped. ...

Around 3:15 a.m., Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles-Long Beach watchstanders overheard a mayday call of the boat on fire with 38 people aboard, according to the agency. Fire department crews were fighting the fire when the boat sank 20 yards off shore in 64 feet of water, with a portion of the bow sticking out of the water.

Five people were evacuated on a good Samaritan pleasure craft, Great Escape, according to the agency. There are 34 people still unaccounted for. ... More from L.A. Times via MSN

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Looks like a recovery mission now. Horrible way to die.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Islands in 24 Hours: Exploring & Hiking on Santa Cruz Island

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Boat control now. No one needs to go on the water to have a good time.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Scuba dive charter? Maybe the 34 took to the water & kicked to shore?

Unlikely.  This was at 3AM.  And...the divers would have made their presence known later.  I think I heard the fellow at the presser say it's not a Recovery operation.  Agree with @austingirl, a horrible way to go.  Worse than drowning.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

Unlikely.  This was at 3AM.  And...the divers would have made their presence known later.  I think I heard the fellow at the presser say it's not a Recovery operation.  Agree with @austingirl, a horrible way to go.  Worse than drowning.
We are listening to local radio, which might be ahead of national media.

Anyway, the story -- the Captain and other crew got away alive. The passengers were in crowded bunk areas and explosions to place. Boat sank, recovering bodies from area. 60 ft. of water.

Offline Victoria33

@Cyber Liberty
@Applewood

Bob knows ships, was on them around the world finding oil in oceans.  He said those below sleeping were likely asphyxiated in their sleep and he explained why which I won't take the time to post all that.  It appears the ship crew was up top and awake and jumped into the water without informing those asleep below the ship was on fire.  Bob had numerous swear words about the crew not alerting those sleeping.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty
@Applewood

Bob knows ships, was on them around the world finding oil in oceans.  He said those below sleeping were likely asphyxiated in their sleep and he explained why which I won't take the time to post all that.  It appears the ship crew was up top and awake and jumped into the water without informing those asleep below the ship was on fire.  Bob had numerous swear words about the crew not alerting those sleeping.

My original thoughts about the crew were the same as Bob's when I first heard of this.  After watching some coverage, I wonder if the crew even had a chance to reach the passengers?  If they could have, they obviously should have, but I don't know yet that they could.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Anyway, the story -- the Captain and other crew got away alive. The passengers were in crowded bunk areas and explosions to place. Boat sank, recovering bodies from area. 60 ft. of water.

Would/will the captain be criminally liable?  @truth_seeker

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

If there were explosions, the passengers never had a chance.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I would think not, if it can be determined the crew could not get to the passengers without risking their own lives.  I don't know how exactly they would come to that determination. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

@Right_in_Virginia

I have no idea, but I doubt it. 39 on boat. Only,  known survivors were crew. Still searching in the area.

At this stage I think it is only a matter of recovering bdies. Probably interview the crew, and autopsy the remains.

Offline berdie

If there were explosions, the passengers never had a chance.

If that were to be my fate I would hope I would just die in my sleep.  Not a bad way to go as opposed to having my body burned to a crisp and then drowning. Sorry to be so dark.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
25 bodies found after California scuba boat fire, Coast Guard says
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-boat-fire-25-dead-nine-missing
Support the USO

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This video contains some footage of the sleeping area of the boat, beginning at about 1'47":
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

From other shots in the video, the boat looked to be well-maintained "on the outside"...

Offline PeteS in CA

I posted this earlier this AM on Conservative Underground:

A couple of people called in to KSFO's morning drive show today who had been on that boat 10-15 times each (independently, not together). They said that the company is top-notch and very safety conscious. A couple of points they made:

* Contrary to some media reports, there is no lockable hatch between the berthing area and the top deck;

* Contrary to some media reports, there was an escape to the outside at the rear of the berthing area;

* The company is meticulous about briefing passenger concerning safety features, including means of emergency exit;

* The boat had automated fire suppression equipment and heat detectors in key areas such as the engine and generator rooms, and the crew are trained to fight fire.

Those callers' speculation was that the cause could have been one of the passengers' several laptop or cell phone or camera or etc. lithium batteries that were being charged over night in the bunk or galley area (as is commonly done) caught fire. As I said, speculation.

I'll add here on TBR that they mentioned that the stairway from the berthing area to topside passes next to the galley, so that a fire there could impede/prevent escape to topside.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.