Author Topic: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread  (Read 29817 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2020, 08:21:16 pm »
Whoa!! Houston!!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2020, 08:35:25 pm »
I don’t know why as a Browns fan you should hate on Baltimore.

When you got your team back, The Browns, you got the team name back and all the memorabilia, the logos, the records and history back as the Cleveland Browns, unlike what happened when the Baltimore Colts left in the middle of the night during a snow storm in March 1984.

When the Colts moved to Indianapolis, the name, logo and most importantly all records and the history, were now part of the Indianapolis Colts history and the city of Baltimore relegated as a foot note. 

And you knew it was coming because Modell didn’t lie to Cleveland about his intentions to move the team as Irsay did; Irsay even saying on camera that January “I’m not moving the “blank – blank” team and if I were, I’d tell you. I’m a good Catholic boy. I don’t lie”. But that was one of the many lies Irsay boasted over the years including denying his Jewish heritage (and why he should lie about this is a mystery) and his military service (he claimed to be WWII a combat vet with numerous metals when in fact he never saw combat nor awarded any metals), often while visibly drunk, make that shit faced drunk. His very own mother called him the “devil incarnate”.

Sure, I absolutely get why Modell is hated by long time Browns fans, he made a decision to suspend negotiations with the city of Cleveland even after they “promised” to build him a new stadium, but his decision was financial while Irsay’s always came off as being spiteful and underhanded especially after how Baltimore was treated after that infamous move in the dead of night. Oh and you Browns fans didn’t have to wait nearly as long as Baltimore did to get an NFL team back (1996 to 1999 for Cleveland vs 1984 to 1996 for Baltimore).

And I remember the mixed emotions of many long time Baltimore Colt’s fans including myself. We were happy to get an NFL team, but were not wanting to see Cleveland treated as Baltimore had been when the Colts left for Indianapolis. We supported not naming our new team the Browns, making it a new franchise with its own logo, a new franchise and a new start and supported giving Cleveland back the Browns name and all of the history of that team back to Cleveland.  Trust me, while some Browns fans may hate the Raven’s, but Raven’s fans have never hated you. We do hate Pittsburgh however : )

I have total sympathy and empathy for Baltimore fans.

What happened to you was even worse than what happened to us.

But don’t underestimate the devastation of what Modell did to not only the city of Cleveland, but to northern Ohio and well beyond.

And there’s much more to disliking the team than just the history of how the Ravens came to be.

I’m sorry for you that your team lost yesterday, but it still was super fun for us to watch our nemesis look so completely befuddled!  happy77

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2020, 08:52:03 pm »
Whoa!! Houston!!!
That's what I call a quick start!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2020, 09:17:14 pm »
That's what I call a quick start!

Dumb fake punt, though....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2020, 09:54:11 pm »
Dagnabbit, Houston!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2020, 09:59:09 pm »
Dagnabbit, Houston!

Pathetic folly by an substandard head coach.  Worst choice and execution of a fake punt in me watching football in 55 years.

Game gave me shades and shivers of 1992-93.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2020, 10:44:30 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2020, 11:01:52 pm »
Watching the Chief's offense...like watching a pinball machine.    :2popcorn:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2020, 11:08:28 pm »
Dagnabbit, Houston!

Now that the Saints and Texans are both out, my interest in SB 54 will be limited to commericals and watching Shakira shake.

I'd care less about the last 5 teams remaining.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2020, 11:14:52 pm »
My only interest in the SB is rooting against whichever team I dislike more. It's pretty much a tossup at this point.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2020, 12:02:03 am »
Watching the Chief's offense...like watching a pinball machine.    :2popcorn:

Or a buzz saw.....

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2020, 12:23:50 am »
My only interest in the SB is rooting against whichever team I dislike more. It's pretty much a tossup at this point.

At this point, my interest is gone.  Both the Cowboys and Patriots are out.  Consider that a win.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2020, 07:34:46 pm »
Let me say something about my comments about the Buckeyes' loss to Clemson that might bear repeating after the (goofy) accusations made about me here....

There was a TERRIBLE call that took away an OSU touchdown (the clear fumble recovery and following TD that was mistakenly reversed).

It was a momentum changer and I might have blamed the refs for the Buckeye loss, but I didn't,  because, objectively, rationally, logically, I believe the refs almost never cause one team to win over the other.

I (on this thread) blamed the loss on too many OSU mistakes (and of course failing to convert in the red zone).

The position I hold on bad reffing and bad calls is completely logical and consistent, and my love for the Buckeyes (that you share @EdJames ) does not affect my objectivity about what the refs bad calls do, or do not do.

Since childhood, one of the worst things one can do to me is to falsely accuse me of saying things I haven't said, doing things I haven't done, or feeling things I don't feel.  I realize that I'm only a "girl" here on a sports thread, but my opinions are valid and based on more than 60 years of watching games in every sport.  And it is as important to me here as it is on political thread not to be misquoted, to be accused of positions I do not hold and to be told my opinions are stupid and illogical.

NOW............... very logically and rationally speaking, the Niners beat the crap out of a very good Vikings team, and I can see them going all the way.

And how about Buckeye Nick Bosa????  Absolutely awesome!!

@musiclady

There was a TERRIBLE call that took away an OSU touchdown (the clear fumble recovery and following TD that was mistakenly reversed).

Yes, that was a very bad call.  I also think the Dobbins TD dive was actually a TD as well, though some may disagree.

It was a momentum changer and I might have blamed the refs for the Buckeye loss, but I didn't,  because, objectively, rationally, logically, I believe the refs almost never cause one team to win over the other.

I (on this thread) blamed the loss on too many OSU mistakes (and of course failing to convert in the red zone).

I think that we agree, had they converted even 2 of those red zone opportunities in the 1st half to TDs rather than FGs, the game would have been much different.  I point to that as the main reason that they lost.  However, Clemson is a very good team, and they let them fight their way back to victory.  In the category of "other factors" I am convinced that Justin Fields was not the same player without both wheels in good working order.  Although he tried to make a few runs, he was not as effective as when healthy.  Clemson saw that, and they knew the chances of Fields keeping it, or pulling it down to run, were just not something that they needed to worry about.  A factor in Clemson holding the Buckeyes at bay in the 2nd half.  And Dobbins had a bad foot/ankle in the 2nd half as well.

I also don't think that the Buckeyes expected Lawrence to run as often as he did, and they couldn't come up with an adjustment during the game to counter that...

The position I hold on bad reffing and bad calls is completely logical and consistent, and my love for the Buckeyes (that you share @EdJames ) does not affect my objectivity about what the refs bad calls do, or do not do.

We may disagree somewhat on the whole subject of "bad reffing."  While I don't believe that they are many (any?) instances of an official making a call because they "favor" one team over an another, I think that they do make bad calls because of incompetence, or lack of ability to see everything at game speed.  And these blown calls do impact games....  if not in the immediate way of a team losing points as time runs out, in that these bad calls can shift the momentum of a game greatly.

And how about Buckeye Nick Bosa????  Absolutely awesome!!

In almost every NFL game played, one can see at least one or two former Buckeyes that are doing a good job for their current teams, of course Bosa is one of them!

As far as the NFL, I am rooting for Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes, I would like to see them in, and win, the SB this year.

As far as tonight's game, I previously noted that I prefer Clemson because of liking Dabo better than Orgenon....  however, I tend to like (former Buckeye) Joe Burrow better than Lawrence, so I am just hoping for a close game that isn't messed up by the Zebras....

Now here is a question for someone that I know watches every single Buckeye game, every season...

What do you attribute the difference in Chase Young's play, prior to that 2 game suspension, versus after it?

To me, it was remarkable....  my only guess is that the normal adjustments that the competition makes against a star opponent just happened to coincide with the weeks that we was away....  I think that there was one of the "week offs" in there too...  he just didn't seem nearly as effective for the rest of the season, as he was up until that suspension.... 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2020, 07:56:53 pm »

@EdJames

Yes, that was a very bad call.  I also think the Dobbins TD dive was actually a TD as well, though some may disagree.

My husband very much agrees with you on that.  I think it could very well have been called a TD, but I could see the other POV as well.

I think that we agree, had they converted even 2 of those red zone opportunities in the 1st half to TDs rather than FGs, the game would have been much different.  I point to that as the main reason that they lost.  However, Clemson is a very good team, and they let them fight their way back to victory.  In the category of "other factors" I am convinced that Justin Fields was not the same player without both wheels in good working order.  Although he tried to make a few runs, he was not as effective as when healthy.  Clemson saw that, and they knew the chances of Fields keeping it, or pulling it down to run, were just not something that they needed to worry about.  A factor in Clemson holding the Buckeyes at bay in the 2nd half.  And Dobbins had a bad foot/ankle in the 2nd half as well.

I also don't think that the Buckeyes expected Lawrence to run as often as he did, and they couldn't come up with an adjustment during the game to counter that...

Completely agree with this assessment.  Fields was clearly not healthy, and that very much affected his mobility, which was key to many of the overwhelming victories during the regular season.

I also think that Lawrence ran as much as he did due to the NFL quality secondary the Buckeyes had.  Clemson clearly adjusted their game to OSU, and Lawrence ran very well.

We may disagree somewhat on the whole subject of "bad reffing."  While I don't believe that they are many (any?) instances of an official making a call because they "favor" one team over an another, I think that they do make bad calls because of incompetence, or lack of ability to see everything at game speed.  And these blown calls do impact games....  if not in the immediate way of a team losing points as time runs out, in that these bad calls can shift the momentum of a game greatly.

A very mild disagreement here.  I agree completely that bad calls can change momentum and there are plenty of them during any game.  I guess my point, beyond the opinion that outcome of very few games are actually determined by bad calls (with the disclaimer that some clearly are), is that after pretty much any game, the loser, or fans of the loser of the game will scream about the reffing.  It's human nature to see calls the way we want to see them and blame the refs for calls we don't like while ignoring the bad calls we do like.

When I first responded to this on this thread, I was amused that people were blaming the refs for the Buckeyes win against the Badgers, and ignoring the fact that the Buckeyes just plain won the game in the second half in spite of a very bad first half.

It's so typical, if one doesn't like the outcome, to blame the refs, and I just don't see that happening as often as the losing team claims it does.

In almost every NFL game played, one can see at least one or two former Buckeyes that are doing a good job for their current teams, of course Bosa is one of them!

True enough.  If you root for every team in the NFL with a Buckeye standout on it, you'd be rooting for practically every team!  happy77

As far as the NFL, I am rooting for Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes, I would like to see them in, and win, the SB this year.

If they play anything like they did this past weekend, they've got a great chance of going on to win.  I don't dislike or love any of the remaining teams, so this is the kind of SB game I like best.  I can pick a team to root for, but I don't get upset if the other team wins!  happy77

As far as tonight's game, I previously noted that I prefer Clemson because of liking Dabo better than Orgenon....  however, I tend to like (former Buckeye) Joe Burrow better than Lawrence, so I am just hoping for a close game that isn't messed up by the Zebras....

I always want a close game when I really don't care who wins.  I still think LSU will win decidedly, and will gladly root for a SE Ohio superstar!

Now here is a question for someone that I know watches every single Buckeye game, every season...

What do you attribute the difference in Chase Young's play, prior to that 2 game suspension, versus after it?

To me, it was remarkable....  my only guess is that the normal adjustments that the competition makes against a star opponent just happened to coincide with the weeks that we was away....  I think that there was one of the "week offs" in there too...  he just didn't seem nearly as effective for the rest of the season, as he was up until that suspension....

That's a very, very good question.  There's no doubt that Young was neutralized at the end of the season, and even though he affected many plays with his presence, he just wasn't the same monster he was before the suspension.

I do think that the opponents' double-triple teaming made a difference (and a good deal of holding that wasn't called.... speaking of bad reffing!)  But the rest of the defense (as proven during the suspension) was certainly up to the task in filling in for him.

I also wonder if he didn't back off a bit for some reason?  I was extremely curious as to his seeming lack of effectiveness at the end.

Still think he's going to be WAY up toward the top in the NFL draft.  The guy's a beast.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:10:31 pm by musiclady »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2020, 11:45:21 pm »
I don’t know why as a Browns fan you should hate on Baltimore.

When you got your team back, The Browns, you got the team name back and all the memorabilia, the logos, the records and history back as the Cleveland Browns, unlike what happened when the Baltimore Colts left in the middle of the night during a snow storm in March 1984.

When the Colts moved to Indianapolis, the name, logo and most importantly all records and the history, were now part of the Indianapolis Colts history and the city of Baltimore relegated as a foot note. 

And you knew it was coming because Modell didn’t lie to Cleveland about his intentions to move the team as Irsay did; Irsay even saying on camera that January “I’m not moving the “blank – blank” team and if I were, I’d tell you. I’m a good Catholic boy. I don’t lie”. But that was one of the many lies Irsay boasted over the years including denying his Jewish heritage (and why he should lie about this is a mystery) and his military service (he claimed to be WWII a combat vet with numerous metals when in fact he never saw combat nor awarded any metals), often while visibly drunk, make that shit faced drunk. His very own mother called him the “devil incarnate”.

Sure, I absolutely get why Modell is hated by long time Browns fans, he made a decision to suspend negotiations with the city of Cleveland even after they “promised” to build him a new stadium, but his decision was financial while Irsay’s always came off as being spiteful and underhanded especially after how Baltimore was treated after that infamous move in the dead of night. Oh and you Browns fans didn’t have to wait nearly as long as Baltimore did to get an NFL team back (1996 to 1999 for Cleveland vs 1984 to 1996 for Baltimore).

And I remember the mixed emotions of many long time Baltimore Colt’s fans including myself. We were happy to get an NFL team, but were not wanting to see Cleveland treated as Baltimore had been when the Colts left for Indianapolis. We supported not naming our new team the Browns, making it a new franchise with its own logo, a new franchise and a new start and supported giving Cleveland back the Browns name and all of the history of that team back to Cleveland.  Trust me, while some Browns fans may hate the Raven’s, but Raven’s fans have never hated you. We do hate Pittsburgh however : )
Heh.

But consider: five years after the NFL came back in the form of the Ravens, they won a Super Bowl. They've since won another.

These impostors that call themselves the Cleveland Browns have had one playoff appearance in 21 seasons, and that was one-and-done. All that history, and it has done nothing for the present. They'd almost be better off contracting and trying again, it's been that bad.

So while the team that used to be the Cleveland Browns is winning championships, the team calling itself the Browns is winning high draft picks that never seem to pan out.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2020, 11:50:13 pm »
Trust me, while some Browns fans may hate the Raven’s, but Raven’s fans have never hated you. We do hate Pittsburgh however : )

As do Browns fans.  You have that in common.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2020, 12:18:24 am »
That's okay. Steelers fans hate the Bungles, the Brownies and the Ravens.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2020, 02:50:25 am »

I mostly just laugh at the Bungles these days.

btw, this National Championship game is GOOD!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2020, 03:00:58 am »
Yes, it's  become quite entertaining. Two really impressive QBs.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2020, 03:07:09 am »
Yes, it's  become quite entertaining. Two really impressive QBs.

It’s actually much less nerve wracking for me since the Buckeyes aren’t in it.

I’m just rooting for the offense.  wink777

Offline musiclady

« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2020, 03:11:03 am »
Heh.

But consider: five years after the NFL came back in the form of the Ravens, they won a Super Bowl. They've since won another.

These impostors that call themselves the Cleveland Browns have had one playoff appearance in 21 seasons, and that was one-and-done. All that history, and it has done nothing for the present. They'd almost be better off contracting and trying again, it's been that bad.

So while the team that used to be the Cleveland Browns is winning championships, the team calling itself the Browns is winning high draft picks that never seem to pan out.

Good insight, @jmyrlefuller . Thanks!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2020, 03:57:37 am »

I am a Saints fan.  We hate the Refs.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2020, 02:45:32 pm »
Pathetic folly by an substandard head coach.  Worst choice and execution of a fake punt in me watching football in 55 years.

Game gave me shades and shivers of 1992-93.

I had the same thought.

Buffalo..............

Offline musiclady

« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2020, 04:34:19 pm »
@EdJames  - wondering what you think of the possibility that a healthy Justin Fields and Buckeye team would have done better against LSU than Clemson did last night.

Having watched them closely all year, I think they probably would have.  I still think that Clemson and OSU were even in that game, and OSU would have been better with a healthy Fields.

What say you??

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2020, 06:28:21 pm »
I am a Saints fan.  We hate the Refs.

And LSU fans hate everybody.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-