Author Topic: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread  (Read 29819 times)

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Re: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2020, 02:03:15 pm »
ESPN seems to be "all in" for Clemson and their QB, completely dismissing LSU's talent. I wonder why. They seem to do this with every big game.

My bet would be that they are trying to build hope that it will be a close game.... and that Clemson will have a good chance to win.....

:shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2020, 04:09:09 pm »
Geez, let it go. Let's  talk about the NFL playoffs or Monday's NCAA game.

Seriously!  *****rollingeyes*****

Can we PLEASE get back to football and quit with the personal stuff???

I'm pretty sure LSU is going to clobber Clemson.  I just don't think Clemson has what it takes to overcome.

Today....... I'll be rooting for the Vikings, but the 49ers will most likely win.    I'll be PRAYING that the Ravens lose to the Titans, even though I don't care about the Titans at all.

Any time a Harbaugh loses, it's a good day for me.  wink777
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2020, 04:10:46 pm »
My bet would be that they are trying to build hope that it will be a close game.... and that Clemson will have a good chance to win.....

The sports media always wants drama......... they manufacture it.

I don't think there will be any in this game.

But I've been wrong before......

(Just not that often.  happy77)

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2020, 05:04:54 pm »

LSU fans are some of the obnoxious fans in NCAAF (including several of my relatives). 
Wouldn't make me sad one bit if they lost.  (Just to get the quiet)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2020, 05:14:56 pm »
I’m not a fan of either team, but I like Dabo Sweeney more than Ed Orgeron......  so I will root for underdog Clemson.....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2020, 05:24:06 pm »

1. ESPN loves to promote athletes as if they are celebrities, and Trevor Lawrence is no exception.
2. By virtue of being in the championship last year, Clemson is a little more familiar to the ESPN viewing audience.
3. Clemson was in this exact same position last year and pulled off the upset.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2020, 06:28:12 pm »
I’m not a fan of either team, but I like Dabo Sweeney more than Ed Orgeron......  so I will root for underdog Clemson.....

Dabo seems to be a good guy.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2020, 08:34:40 pm »
Dabo seems to be a good guy.

Indeed, he does....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:26 pm »
LSU fans are some of the obnoxious fans in NCAAF (including several of my relatives). 
Wouldn't make me sad one bit if they lost.  (Just to get the quiet)
Maybe this has something to do with it.
LSU: No. 1 in Football—and Drinking Beer
They crush your football team. Then their fans crush your booze.
https://images.wsj.net/im-142551?width=620&size=1.5

It’s a good thing New Orleans is hosting the national championship. PHOTO: JOHN KORDUNER/ZUMA PRESS

By

Ben Cohen and Andrew Beaton
Jan. 10, 2020
Louisiana State University fans weren’t sure what to expect from this football season. They couldn’t have anticipated that quarterback Joe Burrow would win the Heisman Trophy, Ed Orgeron would outcoach Nick Saban or the Tigers would be a heavy favorite in the national championship.

But there was one thing they did know: They were going to drink a phenomenal amount of beer.

So nobody was surprised when LSU fans managed to consume nearly 55,000 beers in one October game. They were proud of this achievement—at least until the very next game. That’s when LSU fans smashed their own record. By the time the game was over, Tiger Stadium had sold 60,687 beers, according to a university spokesman.

That win in October crowned LSU as the No. 1 team in college football and put the Tigers on the road to Monday’s national championship against Clemson. It was also the game that reminded the nation that LSU has always been at the top of the polls when it comes to boozing.

There is now data to support their claims of drinking superiority after the first season that the Southeastern Conference allowed member schools to sell alcohol in their football stadiums. It was a policy shift worth millions of dollars to LSU: selling booze in Tiger Stadium is a bit like selling water in a desert.

But when the LSU faithful invade other college towns, they have a nasty habit of leaving wreckage behind. They beat your football team. And then they drink your beer.

The first statistical evidence for LSU’s drinking aptitude came in 2011, when the Tigers played at West Virginia, one of the first schools in the country that sold beer. The stadium sold $255,396 worth of booze that day—or 82% higher than the average of the other games in 2011.

It was an astonishing number at the time. It’s only proven to be more exceptional since then.

The Wall Street Journal requested data from every West Virginia football game since 2011.
Beer sold at West Virginia University football games
https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/B3-FW124_LSUBEE_540PX_20200110133713.jpg

LSU game sold 63% more beer than the 2011 average

Texas game sold 53% more beer than the 2019 average

West Virginia has never seen anything like LSU, according to The Wall Street Journal’s analysis of the university’s beer records, built on data obtained through state open-record laws. In the sample of 58 games reviewed by the Journal, the LSU game was by far the biggest outlier within any season.

But it was just another weekend for LSU—as Atlanta learned over the last month. Lee Kicker, an LSU alumnus in the city for a security conference the week of the SEC championship, felt it was his duty to share intelligence with the bartenders at the Marriott Marquis, a hotel that was about to be swarmed by LSU fans. Kicker informed them of an imminent attack on their beer.

“I was trying to give them a warning,” he said. “However much you think you need, double it. And maybe you’ll have enough.”

He turned out to be prescient. The Marriott Marquis scrambled to replenish the hotel’s beer supply as rumors of a drought spread on social media. And the hotel was ready when LSU fans came back a month later for the College Football Playoff semifinal. The Tigers won—and the Marriott Marquis doubled its alcohol sales from last year’s Peach Bowl. “They were obviously quite happy before, during and after the game,” said Paul Buff, the hotel’s director of marketing.

It was not the first time this season that LSU fans conquered a city that should have been fortified. Vanderbilt’s top officials knew how LSU would perform on the field. They also knew how LSU’s fans would perform off the field.

Their fears became reality. There were rumors of the stadium being tapped out, according to the game’s television broadcasters, until panic turned into celebration as a deliveryman brought in another truckload. “I don’t think any stadium should find itself running out of beer,” Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason said.

As the only private university in the conference, Vanderbilt is not required by law to reveal exactly how much beer was sold. But in response to a booze-related inquiry, a university spokesman offered a clarification.

“Please know that Vanderbilt Stadium in fact did not run out of beer during the LSU game,” the spokesman said in an email.

The same cannot be said for West Virginia. The locals were completely unprepared for what was about to happen when LSU arrived. The Mountaineers were blown out—and they fared better than the beer supply. They’re still marveling over the carnage at Morgantown bar Mario’s Fishbowl nearly a decade later.

“That weekend was definitely record-breaking,” said Kim Zweibaum, one of the bar’s owners. “We expected a lot. From what I remember, it blew away our expectations.”

https://images.wsj.net/im-142550?width=620&size=1.5

LSU fans consumed more than 60,000 beers in one home game this season. PHOTO: MARIANNA MASSEY/GETTY IMAGES

Michael Sterchak, an officer at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, was not projecting booze-related problems when he and his future wife decided to get married in a place that happens to know something about beer: Wisconsin. They spent months planning every detail for their 2016 wedding at the Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee, but there was one thing they didn’t account for. LSU was playing Wisconsin that same night in nearby Green Bay.

Sterchak began to suspect there would be a problem when one of his groomsmen called him early on the morning of wedding day and told him to get downstairs to see the LSU fans crowding the lobby and emptying the bar. Soon a hotel staffer came to Sterchak with bad news: “We ran out of beer.” It was before noon.

This was not something he wanted to think about hours before his wedding. By the time he was dressed, the wedding planner had better news: There was still beer in Milwaukee, the bar had replenished and the hotel would position security officers outside the reception to police wedding crashers in purple and gold. “They mobilized like it was the National Guard,” Sterchak said.

Now the Tigers are playing the last game of the season in one American city that has never been confused for a place that would run out of alcohol. Sally Stiel, the LSU Alumni Association’s senior director of alumni engagement, says the group is used to working “very, very closely with food and beverage managers” to address their spiritual needs. This weekend required less work. “We’re not worried about New Orleans,” said Mignon Kastanos, the organization’s director of marketing.

The official alumni events before the game include an open bar at Walk-On’s Sports Bistreaux, a bar co-owned by an LSU alumnus and a local football aficionado named Drew Brees. Meanwhile, at the Bayou Beer Garden across town, bartenders have devised a highly sophisticated distributing method during LSU games, said owner David Demarest. They find some buckets and fill them with Bud Light and Miller Lite.

“Every bar is doing beer buckets,” Demarest said. “Even the wine bar.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/lsu-beer-drinking-national-championship-11578605716

And this beer volume does not include what was consumed at tailgating.

I went to one game at Tiger stadium and during my walk through the parking lot I saw a staggering amount of beerkegs being attended.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline musiclady

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2020, 01:19:17 am »
Indeed, he does....

Let me say something about my comments about the Buckeyes' loss to Clemson that might bear repeating after the (goofy) accusations made about me here....

There was a TERRIBLE call that took away an OSU touchdown (the clear fumble recovery and following TD that was mistakenly reversed).

It was a momentum changer and I might have blamed the refs for the Buckeye loss, but I didn't,  because, objectively, rationally, logically, I believe the refs almost never cause one team to win over the other.

I (on this thread) blamed the loss on too many OSU mistakes (and of course failing to convert in the red zone).

The position I hold on bad reffing and bad calls is completely logical and consistent, and my love for the Buckeyes (that you share @EdJames ) does not affect my objectivity about what the refs bad calls do, or do not do.

Since childhood, one of the worst things one can do to me is to falsely accuse me of saying things I haven't said, doing things I haven't done, or feeling things I don't feel.  I realize that I'm only a "girl" here on a sports thread, but my opinions are valid and based on more than 60 years of watching games in every sport.  And it is as important to me here as it is on political thread not to be misquoted, to be accused of positions I do not hold and to be told my opinions are stupid and illogical.

NOW............... very logically and rationally speaking, the Niners beat the crap out of a very good Vikings team, and I can see them going all the way.

And how about Buckeye Nick Bosa????  Absolutely awesome!!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2020, 03:25:03 am »
I think it should be a good championship game, both teams are absolute monsters when they have to be. I will root for LSU (SEC fan here) but I will predict Clemson winning by 3.

Can't guess a score... but if forced to, I would say a mid game 24-27 or so. Only the Lord knows the outcome beforehand.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2020, 03:50:41 am »
There's still time here—and I may be jinxing myself—but the Titans are fancying themselves as giant slayers in these playoffs. Yowza.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2020, 04:21:37 am »
There's still time here—and I may be jinxing myself—but the Titans are fancying themselves as giant slayers in these playoffs. Yowza.

28-12, with less than three minutes left.  IF this holds, this may one of the biggest upsets in NFL playoff history.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2020, 04:59:56 am »
28-12, with less than three minutes left.  IF this holds, this may one of the biggest upsets in NFL playoff history.

Yay, Baltimore is out.  Now if only Seattle loses tomorrow it will be a perfect weekend.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2020, 02:17:58 pm »
Yay, Baltimore is out.  Now if only Seattle loses tomorrow it will be a perfect weekend.
That's a tough one. I don't like Seattle or Green Bay.
As for the Baltimore Lamars, their demise was delightful.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2020, 02:32:23 pm »

LMAO...  No Patriots, No Saints, (Brees and Brady), No Cowboys, No Ravens....... ?

Possible AFC Championship of Titan's at Texans?

NFL office is on offical suicide watch.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2020, 02:48:52 pm »
I believe you're correct.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »
LMAO...  No Patriots, No Saints, (Brees and Brady), No Cowboys, No Ravens....... ?

Possible AFC Championship of Titan's at Texans?

The announcers have canceled their regular worship services for Brady, Brees, etc.

But most of the country will enjoy the rest of the playoffs more than ever before!   :beer:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2020, 03:08:37 pm »

The Tennessee Titans are now my favorite team!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2020, 03:38:52 pm »

Interesting to see a 9-7 wildcard team be one win away from the Super Bowl.

And it was tough to see Kirk Cousins' Vikings and then our favored Baltimore Ravens look so ....what the hell was THAT??
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2020, 04:02:14 pm »
Interesting to see a 9-7 wildcard team be one win away from the Super Bowl.

And it was tough to see Kirk Cousins' Vikings and then our favored Baltimore Ravens look so ....what the hell was THAT??

Good question!

Sorry to see the Vikings look so weak, but as a lifetime Browns fan...... go ahead and laugh  :laugh: :laugh: ..... it made my heart soar to see the Ravens look so weak and sorta lost.

But those games yesterday reinforced my feeling that the wildcard games are usually the best in the playoffs.

Hopefully today’s will be a bit more competitive.  When you don’t have a dog in the hunt, it’s more fun to see a good game than a blowout.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2020, 05:09:37 pm »

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2020, 05:22:23 pm »

I'd like to see the current and previous Houston teams play next week.

Of course it could also be the former Houston Oilers versus the former Dallas Texans next week.

Today it's the current Texans vs the former Texans.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:23:44 pm by dfwgator »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2020, 05:50:32 pm »

Oh, geez!  I almost forgot that!

How fun would that be!  Bum would be SO proud!!   happy77

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »
Good question!

Sorry to see the Vikings look so weak, but as a lifetime Browns fan...... go ahead and laugh  :laugh: :laugh: ..... it made my heart soar to see the Ravens look so weak and sorta lost.

I don’t know why as a Browns fan you should hate on Baltimore.

When you got your team back, The Browns, you got the team name back and all the memorabilia, the logos, the records and history back as the Cleveland Browns, unlike what happened when the Baltimore Colts left in the middle of the night during a snow storm in March 1984.

When the Colts moved to Indianapolis, the name, logo and most importantly all records and the history, were now part of the Indianapolis Colts history and the city of Baltimore relegated as a foot note. 

And you knew it was coming because Modell didn’t lie to Cleveland about his intentions to move the team as Irsay did; Irsay even saying on camera that January “I’m not moving the “blank – blank” team and if I were, I’d tell you. I’m a good Catholic boy. I don’t lie”. But that was one of the many lies Irsay boasted over the years including denying his Jewish heritage (and why he should lie about this is a mystery) and his military service (he claimed to be WWII a combat vet with numerous metals when in fact he never saw combat nor awarded any metals), often while visibly drunk, make that shit faced drunk. His very own mother called him the “devil incarnate”.

Sure, I absolutely get why Modell is hated by long time Browns fans, he made a decision to suspend negotiations with the city of Cleveland even after they “promised” to build him a new stadium, but his decision was financial while Irsay’s always came off as being spiteful and underhanded especially after how Baltimore was treated after that infamous move in the dead of night. Oh and you Browns fans didn’t have to wait nearly as long as Baltimore did to get an NFL team back (1996 to 1999 for Cleveland vs 1984 to 1996 for Baltimore).

And I remember the mixed emotions of many long time Baltimore Colt’s fans including myself. We were happy to get an NFL team, but were not wanting to see Cleveland treated as Baltimore had been when the Colts left for Indianapolis. We supported not naming our new team the Browns, making it a new franchise with its own logo, a new franchise and a new start and supported giving Cleveland back the Browns name and all of the history of that team back to Cleveland.  Trust me, while some Browns fans may hate the Raven’s, but Raven’s fans have never hated you. We do hate Pittsburgh however : )
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause