Author Topic: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread  (Read 30004 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 03:13:27 am »
Toughest schedule (next to South Carolina) in the nation... Will my Auburn Tigers be able to hold their heads up starting next week... after a squeaker against Oregon, two easy weeks. Now it is Texas A&M, then Miss State then Florida Arkansas LSU Georgia then Alabama... Good grief.

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 03:55:27 pm »
Just go away, babushka boy:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said he plans on taking "time away from the game" because of a mid-foot sprain that has bothered him since the third preseason game.

Newton says in a 15-minute video blog released Friday night that he probably shouldn't have tried to play through the injury and needs to give himself time to heal.

"It could very well be a week. Or two weeks. It could be three weeks, it could be four weeks, it could be six weeks," Newton said in the video in which he was smoking a cigar and drinking a glass of wine.   ...

"It takes the 'Superman' out of it," Newton said referring to nickname he has become known for. "I really didn't want that mantra to be there. You feel like you're immortal. You feel you can't do no wrong. You feel like you're this big, bad guy but truth be told, I'm human. Through this whole time, I'm realizing this."
More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 04:11:17 pm »
The Buckeyes had a huge third and fourth string victory over a team they should never have been playing last week.  (76-5, without trying to rack up the score!)

I hope it doesn't mean they'll be flat against Nebraska tonight.  They're a tough opponent and college players are pretty much still kids, so sometimes they don't do so well after a huge victory.

Anyway........... here's hoping!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 04:11:43 pm »
Just go away, babushka boy:More

What a flake.  **nononono*

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2019, 12:59:12 am »
Gotta say, the Buckeyes are IMPRESSIVE!!!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 04:25:16 pm »
 BOOMER SOONER!!!! #BeatTexas
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 12:58:15 am »
Adam Schefter  @AdamSchefter
NFL clubs were informed today that a private workout will be held for Colin Kaepernick on Saturday in Atlanta.  Session will include on-field work and an interview. All clubs are invited to attend, and video of both the workout and interview will be made available to clubs.
5:07 PM · Nov 12, 2019

Online Hoodat

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 01:03:36 am »
Adam Schefter  @AdamSchefter
NFL clubs were informed today that a private workout will be held for Colin Kaepernick on Saturday in Atlanta.  Session will include on-field work and an interview. All clubs are invited to attend, and video of both the workout and interview will be made available to clubs.
5:07 PM · Nov 12, 2019

NFL arranges workout for Colin Kaepernick in Atlanta

So why is the NFL arranging this?  I don't see the league doing this for any other football players.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:05:19 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 01:17:34 am »
So why is the NFL arranging this?  I don't see the league doing this for any other football players.
He's special. He stands for something.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 02:07:00 am »
He's special. He stands for something.

Victimhood?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 12:52:08 pm »
Perhaps the tryout is Saturday because CK will complete his period of mourning al-Bagdhadi on Friday.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 04:55:06 pm »
Just like NFL’s deal with Jay-Z, the Colin Kaepernick workout looks like a PR trap
Charles Robinson
1 hr ago

Two years, eight months and eight days into one of the most uncomfortable free agency purgatories in the history of the NFL, this is how the league arranged a surprise “private workout” offer for Colin Kaepernick: First, a representative from the league called a select group of reporters last week and suggested they should be available on the following Tuesday for a worthwhile news development. The NFL wouldn’t say what it would be. Just that the reporters should be ready to share some breaking news. When the day arrived, the NFL called Kaepernick’s representatives for the first time in more than a year, instructing them that the league was willing to hold a private pro-day style workout for Kaepernick in Atlanta in four days. If he accepted, a memo would be sent to every NFL team inviting them to attend.

The league wouldn’t answer why it was suddenly making the offer. It wouldn’t say who came up with the idea. It wouldn’t say who would attend. And it wouldn’t say why the workout was roughly 96 hours away and on a Saturday when most NFL teams were preparing for a game.

But the NFL would say this: After nearly three years of waiting for this offer, Kaepernick had two hours to accept it.

This is precisely how to cook up a no-lose scheme to get rid of a pesky player whose exclusion from the NFL continues to be a lingering public relations wound. ... Rest of story

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2019, 06:03:22 pm »
#War Eagle Beat Bama Day....

Good grief can't say how much I would love a win today vs those durn Bama nuts.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Hoodat

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2019, 08:15:56 pm »
#War Eagle Beat Bama Day....

Good grief can't say how much I would love a win today vs those durn Bama nuts.

That's "Mr.  dum Bama nut" to you.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2019, 06:17:03 am »
That's "Mr.  dum Bama nut" to you.

Naw... no disrespect here... yall beat us barners nearly 60% of the time... Just nice to have a win again to keep the game relevant after the recent streak yall have had over us. CBS knows more times than not, it will be a great game to broadcast...

Online Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 02:13:10 pm »
Naw... no disrespect here... yall beat us barners nearly 60% of the time... Just nice to have a win again to keep the game relevant after the recent streak yall have had over us. CBS knows more times than not, it will be a great game to broadcast...

@Sighlass

Auburn deserved that win.  It was unbearable for me to watch, primarily because of the crowd I was in.  I would have much preferred to be in a room full of Auburn fans who always exhibit class - win or lose.  Instead, I was in a room full of insufferable Georgia Bulldog fans who only dare to play BAMA twice each decade.

I still don't get the penalty at the end that was called without the ball being hiked.  Auburn made a substitution which allowed Alabama to make a substitution.  If there were 12 men on the field, it wouldn't matter until the next play started.  But then Alabama shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.

Well done, Auburn.  War Eagle!

And Geaux Tigers!

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2019, 06:31:55 pm »
Did the Houston Texans beat the New England Patriots Sunday night?

Why, yes.

Yes they did!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 09:36:34 pm »
The Buckeyes just keep rolling.

Best college team in the country.  happy77

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2019, 02:37:22 am »
The Buckeyes just keep rolling.

Best college team in the country.  happy77
Hmm.  I recall in 1969 people said the same thing.  Returning national champs unbeaten in '68.  Ranked #1 the entire year of 1969.

Then they blew it, and blew it bigtime.

The loss to Michigan opened up the game of the century in 1969 with #1 Texas at #2 Arkansas and eventual National Champs Longhorns beating Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl.

It was the first year the AP named a national champion after instead of before the bowls.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2019, 03:20:16 am »
Hmm.  I recall in 1969 people said the same thing.  Returning national champs unbeaten in '68.  Ranked #1 the entire year of 1969.

Then they blew it, and blew it bigtime.

The loss to Michigan opened up the game of the century in 1969 with #1 Texas at #2 Arkansas and eventual National Champs Longhorns beating Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl.

It was the first year the AP named a national champion after instead of before the bowls.

I’ve been watching the Buckeyes my entire long life and I can say without hesitation that this is the best team I’ve ever seen.

There aren’t any weaknesses, offensively, defensively or special teams, and the chances that they’ll freeze are practically nil.

Barring a catastrophic injury to Justin Fields, I don’t think anyone can beat them.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 01:21:54 pm »
I’ve been watching the Buckeyes my entire long life and I can say without hesitation that this is the best team I’ve ever seen.

There aren’t any weaknesses, offensively, defensively or special teams, and the chances that they’ll freeze are practically nil.

Barring a catastrophic injury to Justin Fields, I don’t think anyone can beat them.

LSU looks awfully good.
I wouldn't bet against them.
Should be a fun game to watch, should it come down to those 2.

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 02:24:48 pm »

Then you likely were not around watching the '69 Buckeyes.  My room-mate was from Ohio so we watched them all the time.  As good as any team ever, and I think better than the current team. 

They only played 9 games that year, but the first 8 were won by an average of 47-9 vs this year's team average of 50-12.  This is back in the days when Big 10 football was ALWAYS low scoring.

Read the writeup about their QB back then Rex Kern.  Turnovers kill, as Woody Hayes told them.

And Wisconsin is ranked higher than the '69 Michigan team

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2013/11/a_record-long_win_streak_and_p.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline musiclady

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 03:36:20 pm »
Then you likely were not around watching the '69 Buckeyes.  My room-mate was from Ohio so we watched them all the time.  As good as any team ever, and I think better than the current team. 

They only played 9 games that year, but the first 8 were won by an average of 47-9 vs this year's team average of 50-12.  This is back in the days when Big 10 football was ALWAYS low scoring.

Read the writeup about their QB back then Rex Kern.  Turnovers kill, as Woody Hayes told them.

And Wisconsin is ranked higher than the '69 Michigan team

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2013/11/a_record-long_win_streak_and_p.html

I was definitely around and watching the 69 Buckeyes.

They were great.  Absolutely fantastic.

This team is better. 

And, taking a chance here....... Day is looking to be a better coach than Hayes.  He makes adjustments better.  He's more consistent.

God bless Woody, but many a year, he kept doing the same thing when it wasn't working.

Frustrated the heck out of me.

(Edited to add:  The Buckeyes already beat Wisconsin handily..... and they're better now than they were then).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:37:43 pm by musiclady »

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2019, 06:10:22 pm »
I was definitely around and watching the 69 Buckeyes.

They were great.  Absolutely fantastic.

This team is better. 

And, taking a chance here....... Day is looking to be a better coach than Hayes.  He makes adjustments better.  He's more consistent.

God bless Woody, but many a year, he kept doing the same thing when it wasn't working.

Frustrated the heck out of me.

(Edited to add:  The Buckeyes already beat Wisconsin handily..... and they're better now than they were then).
We will just have to see.  I have never seen a team though as inevitable to be national champs than '69 Ohio St and yet they still lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2019, 06:15:14 pm »
Cowboys lose again!  WOO HOO !!!!

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-