Author Topic: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread  (Read 29936 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Fall 2019 / winter 2020 football season thread
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2019, 03:56:49 pm »
Meanwhile, in the NFL, the playoffs begin Saturday.

Our local Texans face the Bills at 3:30 central time, on Saturday.
It will be the return of J.J. Watt.
We’re at home, but I am still nervous.
Bills are good, and the Texans haven’t made it out of the 1st round in a long time.
They’ve never made it out of the 2nd round, or to a conference championship yet.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2019, 05:08:51 pm »
The Wildcard games are sometimes the best games of the playoffs.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2019, 05:10:28 pm »
  :amen:

Most of the games leading up to the Super Bowl tend to be better than the Super Bowl itself.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2019, 05:13:37 pm »
  :amen:

Most of the games leading up to the Super Bowl tend to be better than the Super Bowl itself.

True that.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2020, 01:25:20 am »
And just when I thought Buffalo sports teams had run out of ways to disappoint western New York... there was tonight's Bills-Texans matchup.

Ouch doesn't even begin to describe it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2020, 02:05:38 am »
And just when I thought Buffalo sports teams had run out of ways to disappoint western New York... there was tonight's Bills-Texans matchup.

Tough loss.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2020, 02:54:40 pm »

I have to admit, I kind of like the way it turned out.
Then again, I live about 15 minutes away from NRG stadium, so...........

I thought the Texans were going to lose.
They weren't showing any consistency, or any semblance of preparation.
I figured the Bill O'Brien was about to coach his last game here.

Watson is a special guy.
I put him in the Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes category.
Also, I don't think the Texans win if J.J. Watt doesn't play.
He only had one sack, but he was double teamed a lot, which always helps to free up someone

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2020, 03:08:42 pm »
I have to admit, I kind of like the way it turned out.
Then again, I live about 15 minutes away from NRG stadium, so...........

Weekend was a mixed bag.  1st a Saints fan, and then the Texans.   

Was utterly shocked at Brees yesterday.  Never seen him that bad in the post season game.  Of course, they were bit again at the end with OT TD push off non-call.  2 consecutive years that the zebras have prematurely ended the Saints season.

And was nicely surprised at the Texans.   Down 16-0 even with a few minutes left in the 3rd quarter?  I had written them off.  They also got a huge breake not having to play Baltimore next week. 

Wanna bet tears are being shed at the Commish's office.  Both Brees and Brady go down in the wild card round.  No GOAT's allowed.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2020, 04:24:38 pm »
Not a good day for 40+ year old QBs (including the Eagles' QB who replaced Wentz).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2020, 04:31:03 pm »
Not a good day for 40+ year old QBs (including the Eagles' QB who replaced Wentz).

Idiot Aikman brought up the point that Brees looked tired, but forgot he missed 5 weeks for a thumb injury.  So much for fatigue.

Even great QB's like Brady and Brees can have off days.  All you can hope is that these days don't happen in January .
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2020, 04:45:25 pm »
Weekend was a mixed bag.  1st a Saints fan, and then the Texans.   

Was utterly shocked at Brees yesterday.  Never seen him that bad in the post season game.  Of course, they were bit again at the end with OT TD push off non-call.  2 consecutive years that the zebras have prematurely ended the Saints season.

And was nicely surprised at the Texans.   Down 16-0 even with a few minutes left in the 3rd quarter?  I had written them off.  They also got a huge breake not having to play Baltimore next week. 

Wanna bet tears are being shed at the Commish's office.  Both Brees and Brady go down in the wild card round.  No GOAT's allowed.   :cool:

Saints were my NFC Super Bowl pick.
I'll have to re-evaluate that now.
I am a Texans fan, but I picked Baltimore in the AFC.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:59:08 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2020, 04:46:58 pm »
(including the Eagles' QB who replaced Wentz).

No thanks to that thug Clowney, who should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:52 pm »
That was crazy, that play that was called back, rightfully, where the Viking player fumbled it into the air and the Saint picked it up and ran it in for a TD, all called back, the Viking players knee had hit the ground.  All the same, I've hardly watch the NFL this season.

Ravens - Niners seem to be the clear favorites.  Best records... probably the best teams. I've said that from before the playoffs and then, Ravens being better than SF.  That's my fairly neutral view, I expect NO to win.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2020, 06:18:12 pm »
Did I tell you that the Wildcard games are the best games of the playoffs??   wink777  GREAT football weekend.  Not a dull game in the bunch.

Four close, interesting games.  I was thrilled to see the Patriots and Saints lose (sorry for fans here, but I can't forget that the Saints defense tried to kill Brett Favre a few years back), and didn't really care with the other two games, other than hoping the Bills might go one game farther just for history's sake.  (I'm a Browns' fan.  I always root for losers!  happy77).

As for the reffing....... as always, if your team loses you think it's not fair, but all in all reffing balances itself out and the right team wins.

Definitely happened this weekend.

Four good games!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2020, 06:36:14 pm »
I can’t remember seeing a better half of offense than that ran by LSU., in their win against Oklahoma.
Maybe early Run-and -shoot teams, but not in a big game like this. Not against a high ranked opponent.
Just magnificent to watch.
the SEC has now learned Big12 offense.

Woe to rest of NCAA
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2020, 06:41:10 pm »

As for the reffing....... as always, if your team loses you think it's not fair, but all in all reffing balances itself out and the right team wins.

Saints playoff games for two consecutive years have ended on a bad ref "non-call"

Sorry, if I fall to see how this is a "balancing out" .

Offline musiclady

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2020, 11:10:35 pm »
Saints playoff games for two consecutive years have ended on a bad ref "non-call"

Sorry, if I fall to see how this is a "balancing out" .

This year the non-call was clearly a matter of opinion.

I seriously doubt that the folks in the NY office we’re biased towards the Vikings.

Pretty much nobody is biased towards the Vikings!  happy77

Very rarely if ever does reffing change the outcome of the game.

Btw, last year’s non call might be the exception.

It was terrible!

« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2020, 09:00:15 pm »
This year the non-call was clearly a matter of opinion.

I seriously doubt that the folks in the NY office we’re biased towards the Vikings.

Pretty much nobody is biased towards the Vikings!  happy77

Very rarely if ever does reffing change the outcome of the game.

Btw, last year’s non call might be the exception.

It was terrible!
How could you possibly know that?

Sports is a lot of a game of momentum. A bad call can change the momentum severely.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline musiclady

« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2020, 02:24:22 pm »

Sports is a lot of a game of momentum. A bad call can change the momentum severely.

I'm not arguing with you again. 

I don't like being insulted and called names because someone disagrees with a well-thought out, legitimate perspective (Or in some cases doesn't even know or care what that perspective actually is).

:seeya:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2020, 07:03:45 pm »

Her understanding of the impact of officating in all sports must be a little light.  From balls and strikes, to uneven holding calls, to what constitues a foul in basketball, to contact calls in the NHL.....   The zebras hold the game in their hands, much due to judgement, or lack of.

I just didn't feel like arguing with her.  Notice she said you insulted her? I sure didn't see it. Name calling?  Where was that?    People that touchy shouldn't be in sports discussions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:06:19 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »
Her understanding of the impact of officating in all sports must be a little light.  From balls and strikes, to uneven holding calls, to what constitues a foul in basketball, to contact calls in the NHL.....   The zebras hold the game in their hands, much due to judgement, or lack of.

I just didn't feel like arguing with her.  Notice she said you insulted her? I sure didn't see it. Name calling?  Where was that?    People that touchy shouldn't be in sports discussions.

My understanding of the impact of officiating in sports is not "light."  It is just different from yours.

As for the insults, read earlier posts when he went on for days arguing with what I didn't say and insulting me repeatedly because he misread what I said.

I'm on this thread because I love football and have my whole life..... back to the days when I watched Jimmy Brown on a black and white Philco.  I'm not here to say anything profound, but to have fun.  (This is not fun).

I will repeat my view, shared by many, that reffing doesn't change the results of most of the games when the losers are griping.  If you look at it objectively, the bad calls usually go both ways and don't change the game overall.

The case of the Saints last year was one of the few cases where bad reffing changed the outcome of the game.  It was awful.

This year's no-call was not.

That is my OPINION.

Take it, or leave it......... but don't say my understanding is "light."

It is not.

@catfish1957

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2020, 02:47:25 am »

It's actually worse than that.

She refuses to call this play a bad non-call and claims I am arguing and insulting her for pointing this fact out.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,374037.msg2109690.html#msg2109690

Once you exhibit the level of support for a team that you refuse to acknowledge what even other fans of the team say is a flagrant violation, you change from a sports fan to a rabid sports fan.

@catfish1957

Online mountaineer

« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2020, 02:51:08 am »
Geez, let it go. Let's  talk about the NFL playoffs or Monday's NCAA game.

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2020, 02:56:12 am »
Geez, let it go. Let's  talk about the NFL playoffs or Monday's NCAA game.
Sorry, but I have difficulty letting stupid or illogical comments go easily.

Back on topic, I believe LSU will win with the better team and incentive (as well as essentially being home team). 

The only reservation I have is that Clemson passed a tough test against OSU while LSU coasted.

At times, close games are the mark of toughness and Clemson certainly proved that against a very good team in OSU when its back was up against the wall.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:58:09 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2020, 01:20:12 pm »
ESPN seems to be "all in" for Clemson and their QB, completely dismissing LSU's talent. I wonder why. They seem to do this with every big game.