Author Topic: Study Shows Oil, Natural Gas Generated $152.3B for California's Economy  (Read 942 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Oil and natural gas industry activity in California generated $152. 3 billion of economic activity in 2017, representing 2.1% of the state's gross product, according to a statewide study sponsored by the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. (LAEDC).

The study used the most recent annual data, and found that producers generated $21.6 billion in state and local tax revenues, including $96 million in assessments that went to the Department of Conservation's Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources.

In terms of jobs, wages, tax revenues and contributions to the state economy, the oil and gas sector "makes a significant contribution," said LAEDC Senior Economist Shannon Sedgwick, the lead author of the 160-page report prepared by the Institute for Applied Economics.

"Many other California industries rely upon the state's oil and gas industry and its production, downstream processing and products as an input in their production and provision of services," Sedgwick said.

The report's authors also acknowledged the challenges still facing the industry today, such as price volatility, regulatory overreach, economic growth changes dampening demand, environmental activism, community support, geopolitical unrest and emerging alternative sources of energy.

California has some of the most aggressive decarbonization goals in the country. It’s also established a 100% alternative energy mandate that requires utilities to procure all their electricity from zero-carbon sources by 2045. Some cities are even banning natural gas.
https://www.naturalgasintel.com/articles/119441-study-shows-oil-natural-gas-generated-1523b-for-californias-economy

I note that there's some fishiness in the size of these figures as they appear overblown.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Study Shows Oil, Natural Gas Generated $152.3B for California's Economy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 01:00:46 pm »
I note that there's some fishiness in the size of these figures as they appear overblown.

"Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure!"  Comes to mind.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 09:36:29 pm »
39 million residents most of which are on residential natural gas (wonder if the stats show propane/LPG users too? Derived from oil/nat gas). Plus the oil production in the Bakersfield area plus the oil refineries in the state (Richmond, San Pedro areas) producing "CA only" gasoline for 39 million people. I think $152 billion is "doable". 

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:38:38 pm »
39 million residents most of which are on residential natural gas (wonder if the stats show propane/LPG users too? Derived from oil/nat gas). Plus the oil production in the Bakersfield area plus the oil refineries in the state (Richmond, San Pedro areas) producing "CA only" gasoline for 39 million people. I think $152 billion is "doable".

Lots of oil pumpers along US 101 north of San Luis Obispo and along SR 46 between Paso Robles and Lost Hills. The offshore platforms in the Santa Barbara area are still there and producing. Oil has been big in CA longer than I've been around. As you mentioned, there are several major refineries in the Richmond-Martinez area. If we ever got sane governance in California there would probably be an oil boom here.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 08:55:38 am »
463,000 bopd  (2018) Puts California in seventh place among the oil producing States,a bit of a slide in the past few years in the rankings (a combination of more production elsewhere, and less in California). That does not include the midstream/downstream part of the industry, nor Natural Gas. (Midstream is the pipeline, transportation, and processing part, downstream is the wholesale/retail of refined products. All involve transportation, and jobs range from truck driver delivering to your local gas station to the propane bottles for your barbecue grille to roughnecks and drill bits. There are a tremendous number of service companies involved in the oil industry, and with all the various (and to many of us, unusual) requirements placed on the industry in California, the amount of revenue generated in all aspects could be huge. They do not enjoy a geological situation conducive to horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing that many of the mid continent basins enjoy, so they have to work a little harder for the oil and gas there, which means more wells, and that translates to more service company involvement, and greater related revenues.

For instance, in North Dakota, a typical Bakken/Three Forks production pad will have eight wells drilled on a 1280 acre spacing (Two square miles), each with about 9500 ft. of producing wellbore in the target formation, usually four wells in the Middle Bakken and four in the Three Forks. That means there are some 76,000 ft. of wellbore in producing intervals, to be hydraulically fractured, and the results have shown initial production rates of as high as over 10,000 barrels of oil per day, from just one well. (The average is something over 1,000 BOPD).
In a vertical well, it is an unusually good formation that will have productive intervals over 100 ft, and it would take 760 wells to match one well pad in ND if that is the case. Because of that, imagine moving the rig to drill each of those 760 wells, to different and unique locations, with all the earthwork and access road construction, and eventually gathering infrastructure needed to collect the produced oil and store it for transport.

What we noticed in North Dakota, was that with the advent of pad wells and walking rigs (which move by themselves from wellbore to wellbore on the pad without having to be dismantled and rigged up on the next wellhead) the amount of service company revenue for rig movers and earth construction diminished considerably (with 4 wells the new norm before a rig move was needed, 75% of the rig moving market went away). Similarly, the costs/revenues from constructing drilling locations dropped, and gathering infrastructure was simplified, with a single road for access, pipeline hookups simplified, etc. With advancements in drilling technology, the time needed to drill a well was reduced significantly as well. (Yes, we were/are blessed, and we know it, but one man's blessing requires significant adjustments for another). So, to make an already long story shorter, the service company revenues fell overall in many areas, here.

As to whether the numbers seem credible, across all areas of the industry and related revenues. I can't say for California, but there is a great deal more to the industry and the number of offshoot jobs that accompany it than just a drilling rig or a frac crew and a few truck drivers.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »
The reason I said the numbers seem high is the math they quote does not add up.

They say $152.3 billion is 2.1% of the state GDP.  Since the state GDP is roughly $3 trillion, that is 5%.
http://www.dof.ca.gov/Forecasting/Economics/Indicators/Gross_State_Product/

Making an error like that tends to throw doubt on other numbers.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington