Author Topic: Many Genes Influence Same-Sex Sexuality, Not a Single ‘Gay Gene’  (Read 1053 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/many-genes-influence-same-sex-sexuality-not-a-single-gay-gene/ar-AAGvVTt?ocid=spartanntp

by Pam Belluck
August 28, 2019

An ambitious new study — the largest ever to analyze the genetics of same-sex sexual behavior — found that genetics does play a role, responsible for perhaps a third of the influence on whether someone has same-sex sex. The influence comes not from one gene but many, each with a tiny effect — and the rest of the explanation includes social or environmental factors — making it impossible to use genes to predict someone’s sexuality.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think it's more congenital than genetic.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
So basically after running their results through as many gay friendly groups as possible all they can say is there is no "Gay Gene" but perhaps there is thousands of genes that could factor into something they can't prove (or come close to proving).

What the did find was often gayness was associated with being nutso....

In a finding that could be especially sensitive, the researchers found that whether someone ever engaged in same-sex sexual behavior showed genetic correlations with mental health issues, like major depressive disorder or schizophrenia, and with traits like risk-taking, cannabis use, openness to experience and loneliness.

Then again the spin control.... after running it through all the alphabet soup groups is this...

They emphasized that the study does not suggest that same-sex sexual behavior causes or is caused by these conditions or characteristics, and that depression or bipolar disorder could be fueled by prejudicial social experiences.

IOWs... it ain't anything but humans misbehaving and regretting that others know it for what it is.

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline PeteS in CA

Reuters reported this study rather differently:

No 'gay gene', but study finds genetic links to sexual behavior

Five of the genetic markers were "significantly" associated with same-sex behavior, the researchers said, but even these are far from being predictive of a person's sexual preferences.

"We scanned the entire human genome and found a handful - five to be precise - of locations that are clearly associated with whether a person reports in engaging in same-sex sexual behavior," said Andrea Ganna, a biologist at the Institute of Molecular Medicine in Finland who co-led the research.

He said these have "a very small effect" and, combined, explain "considerably less than 1% of the variance in the self-reported same-sex sexual behavior."

This means that non-genetic factors - such as environment, upbringing, personality, nurture - are far more significant in influencing a person's choice of sexual partner, just as with most other personality, behavioral and physical human traits, the researchers said.
The results, published in the journal Science on Thursday, found no clear patterns among genetic variants that could be used to meaningfully predict or identify a person's sexual behavior, the researchers said.

My emphasis. I take the last sentence I quoted to mean that even those 5 variants that have some association with homosexual behavior of often found in men or women who are not homosexual.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

Reuters reported this study rather differently:

No 'gay gene', but study finds genetic links to sexual behavior

My emphasis. I take the last sentence I quoted to mean that even those 5 variants that have some association with homosexual behavior of often found in men or women who are not homosexual.

1% is vanishingly small, and normally within the margin of error... So 'many genes' or not, the result is inconclusive at best, and more likely insignificant.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
1% is vanishingly small, and normally within the margin of error... So 'many genes' or not, the result is inconclusive at best, and more likely insignificant.

Exactly.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I think it's more congenital than genetic.
@Sanguine

synonyms:
inborn · inherited · hereditary · in the blood · in the family · innate · inbred · constitutional · built-in · inbuilt · ingrown · natural · native · original · inherent · unlearned

------

reads a lot closer to nature, than nurture.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

synonyms:
inborn · inherited · hereditary · in the blood · in the family · innate · inbred · constitutional · built-in · inbuilt · ingrown · natural · native · original · inherent · unlearned

------

reads a lot closer to nature, than nurture.

I agree with that.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 'Gay Gene' Is a Total Myth, Massive Study Concludes
https://www.livescience.com/no-single-gene-makes-someone-gay.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Now it's peer pressure, "All the cool kids are doing it",  especially with young girls.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The 'Gay Gene' Is a Total Myth, Massive Study Concludes
https://www.livescience.com/no-single-gene-makes-someone-gay.html

Just like no single gene determines eye color.  This study is anti-science.

Offline SirLinksALot

The writer ( and regular debate protagonist of conservative author Bill Buckley ), GORE VIDAL was gay himself.

He however, refused to be called homosexual and insisted that we are all potentially bi-sexual.

Writing for an edition of Esquire magazine in 1969, he wrote:

We are all bisexual to begin with. That is a fact of our condition. And we are all responsive to sexual stimuli from our own as well as from the opposite sex. [...] regardless of tribal taboos, homosexuality is a constant fact of the human condition and it is not a sickness, not a sin, not a crime [...] Homosexuality is as natural as heterosexuality. Notice I use the word 'natural,' not normal.

This for me, explains why a lot of gay activists want schools to "educate" children to "find" their own innate sexuality. They want company. The more, the better.