Author Topic: Renewing your Driver's License - a cautionary tale  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Renewing your Driver's License - a cautionary tale
« on: August 28, 2019, 02:15:38 pm »
I thought some of you might appreciate this - BEFORE you try to renew your DL.

In my effort to be efficient, I decided to renew my driver's license even though it's a bit early, because I learned last time if you wait too late, you can't do it online.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I went online to Texas.gov, followed many links and finally got to the "Renew License" link.  Yaay.  I worked through the various pages and links, provided the all of the obscure information they asked for and hit the "Submit" button.  "You are not eligible to renew online."

Oh.  I went back to the "Confirm your eligibility" page and it did say that I was eligible to renew online.  Emailed the help people.  3 days later they responded and said that since I renewed online last time I had to do it in person this time.  I didn't renew online last time, but they didn't bother to respond to that argument.

So, I downloaded and filled out the DL-47 form that I would need to take with me. I downloaded the form DL-57 that they insisted I read and I did.  If you have an active DL that's all you need to prove your residency and that's what I needed to prove.  I made an appointment online and, DL-47 in hand I drove 50 miles to the big DPS office.  (Which I finally found, but that's another story.) 

The place was packed, but a very nice lady was triaging the ever enlarging line of people and forms.  "What are you here for?" "I'm here to renew my DL, and I made an appointment and here is my completed form."  "Let me have your passport or original birth certificate".  ....uh, what?

As I was brushed aside, the lady behind me stepped up and got the same surprise information and turned and left.  Not happy at all.

So, I finally got a supervisor to talk to.  She seemed amazed that I somehow didn't know that I should have brought these items with me. "It's a new law; didn't you see anything on TV?" 

Shot almost an entire day.

Got home and was venting about it and it turns out my brother, whose birthday is close to mine just went through the same thing.  As did my active-duty-stationed-out-of-state son when he was visiting earlier.    9999hair out0000

Got up yesterday determined to make them renew my license.  Drove to a closer office that is only open four 1/2 days/week.  They were there and open.  I had my passport, birth certificate and form DL-47 in hand.  Take a number.  Sat talking to the nice ladies next to me who had taken the morning off to come in and renew.  They'd been there a couple of hours.  "Did you bring you passport or birth certificate?"  "No, why?"  When their number was finally called they went into the office and we could all hear the discussion.   They will have to come back another day with the proper documentation.   **nononono*

When it was my turn, I went in and talked to the very nice but very harried woman, who it turns out, is the only one in the office. She said, yes, it's a new law, all the DPS offices are backed up with lines out the door, and you should have gotten a letter telling you what to bring.  I agreed with her that I should have gotten something to tell me that.

But - I did get my license renewed.  It should arrive in the mail sometime in the next few months, and it will have a gold star on it to indicate that I have submitted all of the proper documentation.  Not real sure about that gold star stuff.

Offline corbe

Re: Renewing your Driver's License - a cautionary tale
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 02:24:48 pm »
   Mental Note: Find BC before December.  Thanks @Sanguine
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 02:33:04 pm »
   Mental Note: Find BC before December.  Thanks @Sanguine

They still let you have a driver's license @corbe ??

:silly:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 02:54:04 pm »
Correction - it's a DL-43, not 47.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 02:59:35 pm »
They still let you have a driver's license @corbe ??

:silly:

It is Texas, after all, before this law everyone (except my ol lady) had a DL here.  Incidentally they also threw out that law last Legislative session (unpaid fines=no DL) so I suspect she'll be legal in a week or two,  8888crybaby and leave me for greener pastures.  @EdJames
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 03:08:55 pm »
   It is Texas, after all, before this law everyone (except my ol lady) had a DL here.  Incidentally they also threw out that law last Legislative session (unpaid fines=no DL) so I suspect she'll be legal in a week or two,  8888crybaby and leave me for greener pastures.  @EdJames

Bummer.  You'll have to interview for a replacement.....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 08:51:11 pm »
I like this law as it appears to be an attempt by the state to weed out illegals from obtaining a DL.

Seems a pain for a citizen who already had one and is simply renewing, but there must have been some laxity at times at the DPS so Texas decided to shore up tighter the process.

A list of what else they ask for follows:

The Texas Department of Public Safety asks applicants for an ID or driver's license to provide the following information, according to its website:

U.S. citizenship or evidence of lawful presence in the U.S.
Texas residency
Proof of identity
A social security number
A Texas vehicle registration and proof of insurance.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 09:01:14 pm »
The Texas Department of Public Safety asks applicants for an ID or driver's license to provide the following information, according to its website:

Texas residency
Proof of identity
A social security number

A list of what they will accept for documentation:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-32.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 09:53:43 pm »
When I turned in my TX DL for a FL DL I had to jump thu hoops to get it done.   My wife.... no problem.  She was born in the damn state and they even gave her back her old DL number from 1989 when we moved out of the state.   AS for me, I was persona non grate...  as usual.    It is hard being white these days.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 10:21:00 pm »
@Sanguine

Thanks for posting this. I went to the TX Dept. of Motor Vehicles website and there is a new law (rule) pertaining to age. If you are 79 or older, you cannot renew your license on line anymore.  You must go in person when your license expires.

Also, the clerk (called a "representative", CSR) renewing your license will evaluate what you say and if the clerk thinks your mental state is questionable, you cannot renew your license.  Here is what happens:

"A driver license office representative (CSR) will evaluate your responses provided at the time of your renewal regarding your medical history to determine if any additional testing is required."

"The Department does not have different licensing standards due to age (from me: what is this then if not a different standard?) , however it is our responsibility to ensure all licensed drivers are in good physical and medical condition, have the ability to operate a motor vehicle safely, and can follow all Texas traffic laws and rules. You will only be required to take a driving test or obtain additional information from your physician if, after being evaluated (by the CSR), it is determined that you may not be able to safely operate a motor vehicle. You can read more about this process on the Texas Medical Evaluation Process for Driver Licensing page."

As for me, I had been renewing on line, but reached the limit for that three years ago, and had to go in.  That office was on a second floor and the line wound around corners all over the second floor.  I stood in that line for about 45 minutes until I got inside the office, and had to wait about 15 minutes before a chair was available.  Maybe it was 30 min. before I actually got to the "CSR".  A birth certificate or passport was not required in 2017, my license was used to be my identity.  In six years when I have to go back, will take birth certificate.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 10:39:22 pm »
@Sanguine
 In six years when I have to go back, will take birth certificate.

In six years maybe you should consider something like "Driving Miss Marcella"....  as a wiser choice than a DL.   :cool:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 10:43:42 pm »
In six years maybe you should consider something like "Driving Miss Marcella"....  as a wiser choice than a DL.   :cool:
@The Ghost

My eyesight is 20/20 with glasses.  I am also sane enough to write this to you.  How is your eyesight and we already know your mental state is "iffy". :yowsa:

Online Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 10:51:27 pm »
@The Ghost

My eyesight is 20/20 with glasses.  I am also sane enough to write this to you.  How is your eyesight and we already know your mental state is "iffy". :yowsa:

If you were my mother I would sell your car!  888mouth

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 10:54:28 pm »
@The Ghost

Now,  that was a righteous slapdown!

****slapping

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 10:56:41 pm »

Those Blue Hairs are definitely a problem in Texas, always txting w/driving.

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 11:01:30 pm »
   In your next life @The Ghost she will be and they'll be 'hell to pay'.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 11:05:24 pm »
@Sanguine

I recently renewed my license in Maryland...the new, required, "REAL-ID".

Shortly thereafter, I read that Maryland was one of the States cooperating with the DHS and NSA or DNI regarding computer facial recognition.

The photo they take of you is used in the master database.

So...keep your heads down, out there!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 11:14:24 pm »
I always hated to have to renew my driver's license as I would have to come clean and pay off all my outstanding traffic tickets and outstanding warrants.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 11:24:51 pm »
I like this law as it appears to be an attempt by the state to weed out illegals from obtaining a DL.

Seems a pain for a citizen who already had one and is simply renewing, but there must have been some laxity at times at the DPS so Texas decided to shore up tighter the process.

A list of what else they ask for follows:

Texas residency
Proof of identity
A social security number

Got mine. Wasn't about to wait for the deadline - there will be no more accurate representation of hell on earth than the inside of any CA DMV during the month of September 2020.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 12:10:05 am »
The AZ website I use to renew is very clear on the subject:  Old license, BC or Passport to get a Real ID.  I have to go in person for renewal anyway, because I'm a codger.  Otherwise, it's a non-National ID.  Both versions are offered.  I saw this when I logged in to change our address when we moved.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 12:54:54 am »
@Sanguine

I recently renewed my license in Maryland...the new, required, "REAL-ID".

Shortly thereafter, I read that Maryland was one of the States cooperating with the DHS and NSA or DNI regarding computer facial recognition.

The photo they take of you is used in the master database.

So...keep your heads down, out there!    :laugh:

I'm just glad I had make-up on and my hair brushed! 

Online Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 12:55:52 am »
I'm just glad I had make-up on and my hair brushed!

With the Violet highlights?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 12:57:17 am »
@Sanguine

Thanks for posting this. I went to the TX Dept. of Motor Vehicles website and there is a new law (rule) pertaining to age. If you are 79 or older, you cannot renew your license on line anymore.  You must go in person when your license expires.

Also, the clerk (called a "representative", CSR) renewing your license will evaluate what you say and if the clerk thinks your mental state is questionable, you cannot renew your license.  Here is what happens:

"A driver license office representative (CSR) will evaluate your responses provided at the time of your renewal regarding your medical history to determine if any additional testing is required."

"The Department does not have different licensing standards due to age (from me: what is this then if not a different standard?) , however it is our responsibility to ensure all licensed drivers are in good physical and medical condition, have the ability to operate a motor vehicle safely, and can follow all Texas traffic laws and rules. You will only be required to take a driving test or obtain additional information from your physician if, after being evaluated (by the CSR), it is determined that you may not be able to safely operate a motor vehicle. You can read more about this process on the Texas Medical Evaluation Process for Driver Licensing page."

As for me, I had been renewing on line, but reached the limit for that three years ago, and had to go in.  That office was on a second floor and the line wound around corners all over the second floor.  I stood in that line for about 45 minutes until I got inside the office, and had to wait about 15 minutes before a chair was available.  Maybe it was 30 min. before I actually got to the "CSR".  A birth certificate or passport was not required in 2017, my license was used to be my identity.  In six years when I have to go back, will take birth certificate.

I saw that @Victoria33!  I'm glad you found that out before you went in.  The lines are not completely awful right now, but I understand that they may become so.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 01:08:03 am »
I saw that @Victoria33!  I'm glad you found that out before you went in.  The lines are not completely awful right now, but I understand that they may become so.

The lines at the DMV offices around Phoenix really sucked (hours to get a plate), but I don't know what they're  like in the small-ish town I'm in now.  I assume staying away from the 1st and 15th of the month would be wise.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 05:00:01 am »
There is federal law that has been requiring every state to issue enhanced drivers licenses. It first hit me in 2006. I had to renew my dl then and was required to bring my birth  certificate (clearly stated in my renewal notice).  I saw person after person sent away because they did not have the proper documentation. When I renewed in 2012, I was able to do it online. I had to renew again in late 2018 and they no longer required anything but wanted a passport if I had one, but I did have to renew in person since they will only allow online renewal every other time. When I received my new dl in the mail, it was the federally required enhanced license. There is a deadline for the states to meet the federal doc residents, I am in TX and we are in compliance.  I think there are only a couple of statew that are not, but depending on when you renewed your dl it may or may not be enhanced. My husband's is not, but it would have been if he wouod have renewed only six days later.

Warning: if you don't have an enhanced dl, after a certain date it will not be accepted as an id for a domestic flight, you will actually need a passport to fly domestic.