Author Topic: My Childhood Schooling In The Soviet Union Was Better Than My Kids’ In U.S. Public Schools Today  (Read 449 times)

Online mountaineer

My Childhood Schooling In The Soviet Union Was Better Than My Kids’ In U.S. Public Schools Today
Ask the people in our immigrant community why we moved to the United States, and hear again and again: 'For the kids.' Yet here we are, failing them in one of the most important ways.
By Katya Sedgwick
August 27, 2019

Now that back-to-school season is in full swing, let me tell you about the single most pressing unmet need of my ethnic minority community: education. Like other Russian-speaking Jews, I am forever thankful to this country for taking me in and for giving me liberty. Yet when I talk to people in our community about their wishes and anxieties, they always express discontentment with U.S. schools.

“How is it,” some ask, “that we are all engineers, but our children can’t do basic math?”  ...

After she talks about the differences in teaching math, language and literature, she turns to propaganda

That brings me to my last point: propaganda. American students get the same “politinformation hours” we did in the Soviet Union. They study Newsela, for instance, a kiddy news website with a heavy-handed left-wing spin. It’s easy to identify, but American kids are ill-equipped to resist it. Without the canon, and with diminishing influence of monotheism, without the streamline logic of mathematics, what is there to protect the children from the noxious influences of propaganda?

he proposed California ethnic studies curriculum has made waves recently. The plan, rife with Islamism, antisemitism, and a whole bunch of other hatreds, has been put on ice after complaints of Jewish groups. Of course it was antisemitic — it can’t not be.

The curriculum will be revised to include the Holocaust references and some other Jewish themes. It’s a good start, but none of it addresses the underlying problem with that neo-Soviet agenda: the divisive demagoguery, the substance-free jargon, and the requirement of performative activism. All of this is pushed on children who are already well-roundly miseducated.   ...  Read complete article at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org