Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian is at Category 2 strength on the way up the East coast...updated  (Read 14658 times)

Offline mountaineer

Those dogs are Bahamian Potcakes.  Great dogs, they are calm and very intelligent.  https://www.dogster.com/dogbreed/potcake
Never heard of them, but would love to have one!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I was curious so I found a photo.  Nice looking dog, and very attentive:

Offline LadyLiberty

I have seen tweets from people in Freeport who claim that Freeport itself is not completely destroyed.  Also someone posted a video showing the departures terminal at the airport is intact -- damaged but intact -- and they are starting to clean it up.  I would be more worried about cleaning debris off of the runway so that supplies could be brought in, but perhaps they are doing that, too. That departure terminal will be a good place to stage relief supplies when the runway is operational. 

The dialysis center there has reopened and this picture of people lining up in Freeport as stores start to reopen was tweeted by CNN:

And then there are the fruitcake tweets.  The Chinese have invested over $3B on Grand Bahama Island to build a shipping hub that services the Caribbean area.  They've got their tentacles all over the region, building roads, hotels, and other investments.  Their Grand Bahama shipping hub has been destroyed.  The fruitcakes are saying that the hurricane was something ordered by Trump and controlled to stall over Grand Bahama as an action of asymmetrical warfare.  One tweeter even said they won't believe the hurricane even happened until they see a dead body.

Offline mountaineer

Hoping to hear back from friends living near Wilmington, NC. Looks like they'll be getting a lot of rain, and 55-75 mph wind, with gusts to 90 mph.  :0001:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

@LadyLiberty

Last I heard, the runways were under water and our military had cleaned off one runway in an effort to get supplies.  This is why many aid agencies were having trouble getting supplies in.  They had to wait for the airport runways to be cleaned off. 

And as for the cranks spouting conspiracy theories -- well, it seems like every tragedy brings them out.  Look at some of the theories I read on this site after the shootings in Texas a few days ago. 

Offline LadyLiberty

There is a rescue organization on Grand Bahama Island that gathers up the strays, spays and neuters, and then ferries them to the US where another group coordinates their adoption, so it is possible to get one. They have lots of street smarts and are sweet, calm dogs, but very interactive with their humans. I saw pics from the shelter on twitter earlier today.  I don't know how many dogs they had before Dorian, but they had between 70 - 79 of the dogs survive (don't remember the exact number).  They had a similar number of cats that survived as well.

Offline LadyLiberty

@LadyLiberty

Last I heard, the runways were under water and our military had cleaned off one runway in an effort to get supplies.  This is why many aid agencies were having trouble getting supplies in.  They had to wait for the airport runways to be cleaned off. 

And as for the cranks spouting conspiracy theories -- well, it seems like every tragedy brings them out.  Look at some of the theories I read on this site after the shootings in Texas a few days ago.

The flooded runways that we have been seeing on Grand Bahama are no longer under water, there are videos on twitter.  Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:16:36 pm by LadyLiberty »

Offline Applewood

Hoping to hear back from friends living near Wilmington, NC. Looks like they'll be getting a lot of rain, and 55-75 mph wind, with gusts to 90 mph.  :0001:

Prayers up for your friends.  My brother and sister-in-law were supposed to travel to Myrtle Beach sometime this week.  On the way, they usually stop somewhere in NC to visit my brother's godson and his family,  Been trying to reach my brother with no luck.  I hope he and his wife are still at home and that his godson and family are safe.

Prayers up for everyone in Dorian's path.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:01:38 pm by Applewood »

Offline Applewood

The flooded runways that we have been seeing on Grand Bahama are no longer under water, there are videos on twitter.

That's good to hear.  Now aid can get through to those who desperately need it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The flooded runways that we have been seeing on Grand Bahama are no longer under water, there are videos on twitter.  Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
That makes you wonder why anything that could be flown out wasn't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

That makes you wonder why anything that could be flown out wasn't.

Money, and where are you going to fly to?  With the intensity of the hurricane heading the way of the Bahamas and it's projected forecast known far in advance, I have wondered why large ocean liners, cruise ships, etc., weren't sent in to evacuate Abacos?? Keep in mind though that the Bahamas are not U.S. territory, nor a British territory and are their own country.

Also, no one predicted that it would become a CAT 5.  Though past hurricanes have usually stalled over the area, no one could have predicted the exact duration of the hurricane before it moved on.  Hurricanes are unpredictable.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:51:22 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

Hurricane Dorian makes landfall over Cape Hatteras, North Carolina

Hurricane Dorian packing powerful winds and dangerous storm surges, made its first landfall in the United States over North Carolina's Outer Banks on Friday morning.

The Category 1 storm reached Cape Hatteras at 9 a.m. as it skimmed along North Carolina's coast at about 14 mph with maximum sustained winds of 90 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/hurricane-dorian-now-category-1-buffets-north-carolina-s-coast-n1050586

Offline kidd

Getting rain and wind from one of the outer bands here north of Hartford

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Getting rain and wind from one of the outer bands here north of Hartford

How bad is it suppose to get there?......stay safe!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Looks like a laptop keyboard thrown in the picture.    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Money, and where are you going to fly to?  With the intensity of the hurricane heading the way of the Bahamas and it's projected forecast known far in advance, I have wondered why large ocean liners, cruise ships, etc., weren't sent in to evacuate Abacos?? Keep in mind though that the Bahamas are not U.S. territory, nor a British territory and are their own country.

Also, no one predicted that it would become a CAT 5.  Though past hurricanes have usually stalled over the area, no one could have predicted the exact duration of the hurricane before it moved on.  Hurricanes are unpredictable.

Anyone who owns a plane should know just how fragile they are--and they are. These aren't even warplanes, they're general aviation, and while they are engineered to take some stresses, even a hardcore tropical storm isn't on that list. It takes relatively little to do thousands of dollars in damage. As for where to fly to, go west....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Top weather agency memo warned staff not to contradict Trump on his Dorian forecast for Alabama
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/top-weather-agency-memo-warned-staff-not-to-contradict-trump-on-his-dorian-forecast-for-alabama
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Top weather agency memo warned staff not to contradict Trump on his Dorian forecast for Alabama
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/top-weather-agency-memo-warned-staff-not-to-contradict-trump-on-his-dorian-forecast-for-alabama

Geography just a'int DJT's strong suit.  Hope the storm misses Greenland.   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Trump sequitur: a non-sequitur response that reorients the topic at hand to Donald Trump

(Stolen from Twitter)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Trump sequitur: a non-sequitur response that reorients the topic at hand to Donald Trump

(Stolen from Twitter)

Like an Abbott and Costello skit..... :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Geography just a'int DJT's strong suit.  Hope the storm misses Greenland.   :silly:

If it hits maybe we can get it at a better price... :pop41:
Support the USO