Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian is at Category 2 strength on the way up the East coast...updated  (Read 14882 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Daniel Scavino Jr. 5 hrs ·
President Trump and VP Pence received a briefing on #HurricaneDorian earlier today in the Oval Office...

[Side note:  I like and appreciate that POTUS includes Pence in nearly everything.  This will serve Pence (and us) well if/when he chooses to run for President.]

Online Right_in_Virginia

Hurricane Dorian forecast to strike Florida overnight into Tuesday as Category 4: Live updates
ABC News, Aug 30, 2019, 11:38 AM ET

Dangerous Hurricane Dorian is strengthening and forecast to make landfall on Florida's east coast overnight into Tuesday as a Category 4 storm.

Now forecast to approach Florida with winds of 140 mph, Dorian, should it make landfall at those wind speeds, would become just the ninth hurricane to do so, dating back to 1851.

The latest forecast shows Dorian making landfall Monday night into Tuesday morning between Vero Beach and Fort Lauderdale, but different models show the hurricane taking different paths after landfall.

Most models are predicting Dorian will make a sharp turn north.

If Dorian continues on that track, Orlando and Jacksonville may see heavy rain, gusty winds and significant flooding. Dorian would then move north to coastal Georgia and South Carolina, where rain, storm surge and flooding is a threat.

Other models forecast a path across Florida, into the Gulf of Mexico and then by the Panhandle.

More:  https://abcnews.go.com/US/dorian-9th-hurricane-140-mph-winds-strike-florida/story?id=65287842

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Dorian Becomes a Major Hurricane and Could Strike Florida as a Cat 4
By weather.com meteorologistsless than an hour ago

Dorian Is Now a Major, Cat 3 Hurricane
Dorian has strengthened into a major Category 3 hurricane in the Atlantic. Meteorologist Kait Parker has the latest information.

At a Glance
  • Dorian is now a Category 3 major hurricane moving through the western Atlantic Ocean.
  • A hurricane watch has been issued for the northwestern Bahamas.
  • Dorian will threaten parts of the Bahamas and the southeastern U.S. over Labor Day weekend.
  • The most likely scenario is a track near the Florida Peninsula late in the weekend, but exact details will change.
  • Residents from the northern Gulf Coast to Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas should monitor forecasts closely.
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2019-08-30-hurricane-dorian-florida-southeast-bahamas-forecast
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump's prized Winter White House Mar-a-Lago resort is in the direct path of Hurricane Dorian, to the amusement of dark-humored Twitter trolls

Mar-a-Lago, Trump's resort that sits on the barrier island of Palm Beach, may be hit by Hurricane Dorian
    Memes flooded social media, 'asking' the storm to damage parts of the estate
    One talk show host tweeted that the resort will likely not suffer any damage but the surrounding poor areas will be damaged
    Trump received a $17 million insurance payment for hurricane damage to the resort in 2005

By Associated Press and Mary Kekatos For Dailymail.com

Published: 13:48 EDT, 30 August 2019 | Updated: 15:12 EDT, 30 August 2019

President Donald Trump's prized Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida is potentially sitting directly in the path of Hurricane Dorian, which is forecast to become an extremely destructive storm.

The resort, which is currently closed for the summer, is on the wealthy barrier island of Palm Beach.

During the cooler months, Trump visits the property frequently and has held several high-level meetings there with world leaders.

According to the National Hurricane Center's most recent track for Dorian, Mar-a-Lago is right in the crosshairs of a possible Category 4 storm with winds of almost 140mph when it hits on Monday.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7411903/Trumps-prized-Mar-Lago-resort-path-Hurricane-Dorian-amusement-Twitter-trolls.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Gee, I hope my tax dollars go to repairing Donald Trump's property.  Yeah, that'll show him!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dorian strengthens to Category 4 hurricane
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/459511-dorian-strengthens-to-category-4-hurricane

National Hurricane Center
@NHC_Atlantic
#Dorian has strengthened to an extremely dangerous category 4 hurricane.  For details go to:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT5+shtml/310027.shtml

WTNT65 KNHC 310027
TCUAT5

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052019
830 PM EDT Fri Aug 30 2019

...DORIAN STRENGTHENS TO A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE...

Data from the NOAA Hurricane Hunters indicate that Dorian has
strengthened to an extremely dangerous category 4 hurricane with
maximum sustained winds near 130 mph (215 km/h). This increase in
intensity will be reflected in the forecast issued at 1100 pm EDT
(0300 UTC).

SUMMARY OF 830 PM AST...0030 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.3N 71.0W
ABOUT 400 MI...645 KM E OF THE NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS
ABOUT 575 MI...925 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Cangialosi/Latto
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:53:56 am by Cyber Liberty »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Winds 130 MPH, moving only 10MPH.  This one is going to dump a lot of rain wherever it hits.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@The Ghost, are you in a good place in case this storm comes after you?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@The Ghost, are you in a good place in case this storm comes after you?

@Sanguine  I am always in a good place! 333cleo

But yeah, like I said before, this thing is going north.  The Fake weather people are punking everyone for ratings.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine  I am always in a good place! 333cleo

But yeah, like I said before, this thing is going north.  The Fake weather people are punking everyone for ratings.

I'm gonna hold you to that.

Online Wingnut

I'm gonna hold you to that.
No problem. :cool:  The European models are always better predictors. They agree with my assessment of the track after Sunday.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No problem. :cool:  The European models are always better predictors. They agree with my assessment of the track after Sunday.

Well, I'm glad it's you, and not me soaking up all that Hurricane experience.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
We will know by Sunday. Only 2 of 12 tracks on weather.com have the thing going North.
Best of Luck to everyone.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I swiped this from Bookface....

I don't know where or when.
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

Well, I'm glad it's you, and not me soaking up all that Hurricane experience.
I identify with hurricanes.  :whistle:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
We will know by Sunday. Only 2 of 12 tracks on weather.com have the thing going North.
Best of Luck to everyone.

Major track shift at 11:00 pm CDT advisory.  Worst case scenario IMO.  Forecast track has it as a Cat 4 storm approaching, then hugging the coast northward toward, N. Florida, Ga, and then possibly the Carolinas.

Conceivabiliy, the entire coast from Miami to Charleston could see hurricane force wind, with this track.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:59:30 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This seems called for:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races

It's all fine and well to point out and criticize the sometimes over-hyper and dire news coverage of these storms or when the forecasters get it all wrong. But on the other hand, it wasn’t really all that long ago when people had little to no warning.

Of course the great Galveston Hurricane comes to mind - people were told that a hurricane would never hit Galveston because the curve of the Gulf Coast protected it and we all know what happened, but also the 1938 New England hurricane. I watched a documentary about the 1938 storm not long ago.

At the time, it was accepted that hurricanes coming that far north would either weaken over cold water or turn sharply out to sea well before hitting New England.

At the time there were no satellites or Doppler radar or hurricane hunter planes or computer modeling and often the only reports came from ships at sea, but there was often a delay in those reports and if the ships steered far enough away from the storm, reports were few if any.

28 year-old rookie Charles Pierce was standing in for two veteran meteorologists. Pierce was more of a new breed of scientific weather forecaster who analyzed high and low pressure fronts rather than relying on past history and often intuition and old fashioned gut instinct as his older peers did.   He concluded that the storm would be squeezed between a high-pressure area located to the west and a high-pressure area to the east, and that it would be forced to ride up a trough of low pressure into New England. He was overruled by the veteran meteorologists and no hurricane warning was issued. Only a few hours later hurricane force winds started lashing the New England coast, and then the storm surge came. Over 600 people died. Over a dozen children and their bus driver died when their school bus got swept away trying to cross a narrow causeway when a big storm surge came. Of course now days, based on modern forecasts, people would get a warning and schools would have been closed, etc.

Of course a dire prediction of a storm when it doesn’t come to pass or isn’t as bad as foretasted can lull one into a false sense of security or piss one off when plans are changed.

My husband and I went on a golf vacation to Myrtle Beach the week of Christmas and New Year’s, I think it was 1999. Mid-week we saw dire forecasts of a major east coast blizzard – potentially the "storm of the century" hitting the day before our vacation was to end and through which we would be driving home from SC to Maryland. Long story short, the storm never materialized and back home, on the day the great blizzard was supposed to be happening, it was near 50 degrees and sunny. I was sorely pissed because leaving a day early meant not going to Charleston. I missed out on our day trip but if the forecast would have been correct and we didn't leave a day early, ahead of the storm, we might have end up stranded on I-95 somewhere between DC and Baltimore in a blizzard. Not my idea of a fun way to end a vacation.

Then on the other hand I remember the Blizzard of 1983 when the weather forecast was for a little light snow – a dusting to an inch. 28+ inches later with hurricane force winds, thunder snow, temps in the single digits, phone and power disruptions and being stuck at work for the next 36 hours, sleeping on a hard floor with nothing but my coat for a bed, crackers and potato chips from the snack machine to eat and missing my own surprise birthday party (well there wasn’t really a party per se but my then fiancée, future husband and out best friends who were stuck at their home had a party anyway and called me at work to let me know, when they could finally get a call out because the phone system was in chaos and jammed  – they were going to attempt to rescue me but Ray’s 4-wheel drive got stuck at the end of his driveway). I remember as the snow kept falling and becoming heavier and heavier, the weather guy on WBAL radio kept changing the forecast – “one to two inches”, then “3-4”, then “4-6” and so and so on until when nearly 20 inches had fallen and the wind was causing major drifts , and I’ll never forget it, he said “we really don’t know how much snow we are going to get but it’s going to be a whole lot”. LOL!

But when they get it right they get it right. For instance, the Blizzard of January 2016. A predication of 30+ inches of snow was spot on. 32 inches fell where I lived and my Toyota Yaris was completely covered in snow, the only way to see my car was there was that the very top of the antenna was sticking up out of the snow drift. But for that storm, I was working an office job and took my laptop home, my boss insisted we not try to come to work if the roads were bad, so I could work as necessary and I stocked up on food and supplies a few days ahead of the storm, and it was a good thing I did because it took me 3 days after the storm finally ended to finally dig my car out. And despite the hype and people thinking it was all hype, the predictions on Superstorm Sandy, especially the storm surge for Lower Manhattan the surrounding areas was also very accurate.

My point is, I’d rather be warned and to prepare even if turns out to be a false alarm rather than to have no idea of what is possibly coming and not be at all prepared.

YMMV
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
My point is, I’d rather be warned and to prepare even if turns out to be a false alarm rather than to have no idea of what is possibly coming and not be at all prepared.

YMMV

Well put.  I don't want to give anyone any false hopes, but often model trends can continue after subsequent runs.  And if the latest shift is any indication of that, this could.....  REPEAT could ...    be a Fish storm.  But till then, I'd treat this as the monster that the NHC describes, and prepare accordingly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Victoria33

Am hearing tonight, it may get to a 5, is close to that now.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Well put.  I don't want to give anyone any false hopes, but often model trends can continue after subsequent runs.  And if the latest shift is any indication of that, this could.....  REPEAT could ...    be a Fish storm.  But till then, I'd treat this as the monster that the NHC describes, and prepare accordingly.

The thing is that most storm preparations, if planned ahead, esp. if you live in a hurricane zone, or for that matter anywhere or for any emergency - bottled water, batteries, candles, canned or other non-perishable food, a basic disaster plan, it isn't wasted.

When the forecast for the 2016 blizzard looked like a real possibility- 30 plus inches and high winds, possible power outages, I filled my gas tank, made sure my Rx's for my HBP were filled, I bought a case of water and Gatorade, instant coffee (I had gas cooking and even if the power went out I could still light the stove with a light or match as long as the gas was on) batteries and a new flashlight in case of a power outage and some food that didn't need necessarily need refrigeration or power to cook and eat. I lived in an apartment at the time so things like a generator or a snow blower were not possible, but I could prepare for a few days of inconvenience in case I couldn't get out for a couple of days.

If the storm never came, none of the things I got in preparation would have be wasted.

The thing is that after a disaster, you never hear people complain that they were over prepared. What you hear are the people who choose to ride it out after being told to evacuate or people who were not prepared and after the fact, wish they had, often saying "I really didn't think it was going to be this bad".

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

The thing is that after a disaster, you never hear people complain that they were over prepared. What you hear are the people who choose to ride it out after being told to evacuate or people who were not prepared and after the fact, wish they had, often saying "I really didn't think it was going to be this bad".

Wisdom.    pointing-up

Offline Applewood

@Neverdul

I'm one of those who scoffs at spaghetti models and all the hype, but I was reading a couple of lists of worst hurricanes in terms of loss of life and property damage.  Seems many of the worst storms occurred at times when there was no technology to predict storms nor the means to communicate to the average person that a storm was coming.  What frosted me about Katrina was that everyone knew she was approaching, but no one in NO was prepared.  We had a population so dependent on government, it couldn't or wouldn't think to get the *bleep* out.  And the tragedy that followed was blamed on President Bush.

So in this instance with Dorian, I'm ok with all the hoopla.  Only thing I don't like is, whenever Dorian hits or wherever, news outlets will have some poor soul standing outside in the wind and rain to tell us that -- yes, it's windy and rainy outside.  Not too many things scare me, but when I see some reporter hanging on for dear life, I actually fear he/she is going to get killed.  I guess the news media won't stop this foolish and dangerous practice till one of their reporters dies.