Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian is at Category 2 strength on the way up the East coast...updated  (Read 14915 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Applewood
@Cyber Liberty

It is 2:18 am, central time.  I just saw the various paths it could take and two of those paths show it crossing Florida and passing into the gulf.  Gulf waters are hotter than where it is now; I do not want it in the gulf and threatening Texas.

It's been said of Hurricanes in the Gulf:  Somebody's gonna get hurt.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline berdie

I'm getting ready for it.  Even though it will be a huge dud.

I always think one should take care of the necessities. (I'll keep that storage idea in my disaster list. :laugh:)

Offline Applewood

@Applewood
@Cyber Liberty

It is 2:18 am, central time.  I just saw the various paths it could take and two of those paths show it crossing Florida and passing into the gulf.  Gulf waters are hotter than where it is now; I do not want it in the gulf and threatening Texas.

@Victoria33

Best case scenario for you I guess would be if Dorian makes landfall on the eastern side of Florida and moves  north.  Wherever it makes landfall, hopefully, it will weaken.

Wherever Dorian hits, I figure we in PA will get rain out of it. Rain is something we don't need here.  We've had plenty all summer.  But I guess compared to the damage Dorian will cause elsewhere, rain is nothing. 

Prayers for our members who are or may be in Dorian's path.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

It's been said of Hurricanes in the Gulf:  Somebody's gonna get hurt.

Did you know Camille killed more people in Virginia than along the Gulf Coast?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Florida governor declares state of emergency ahead of hurricane
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/459201-florida-governor-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-hurricane

Desantos doing a CYA.   It is all the rage these days.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Did you know Camille killed more people in Virginia than along the Gulf Coast?

I was rather young at the time, but isn't Camille the yardstick against which other Hurricanes are measured?  The deal with the Gulf is it's warmer, and surrounded on all sides by populated land.  They're all dangerous at landfall, Gulf or otherwise.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Desantos doing a CYA.   It is all the rage these days.

I've worked with several FL cities and counties on disaster prep/recovery.  The SoE opens some doors (like authorizing travel/overtime, etc).  Declaring a couple days early allows them to get resources in place while the sun's still out and the gas stations are open.

That said, does CYA fit somewhere in a politicians thinking?  I guess it's possible that's true, too.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Hurricane Dorian moves away from Puerto Rico, with Florida now in its sights
Sun Sentinel, Aug 28, 2019, 8:08 PM ET

All of Florida now is in Hurricane Dorian’s forecast zone as it travels away from Puerto Rico. Landfall on Labor Day as a Category 3 is increasingly likely, according to the National Hurricane Center’s 8 p.m. Wednesday weather update.

And somewhat ominously for South Florida, the predicted storm track continues to edge south.

“Dorian is forecast to strengthen into a powerful hurricane during the next few days over the Atlantic waters,” the center said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/fl-ne-hurricane-dorian-track-florida-20190828-4e5wysuk7nfrnikslra2buohxi-story.html

Georgia preparing for coastal evacuations as Hurricane Dorian nears
Washington Examiner, Aug 28, 2019, 7:40 pm ET

Georgia is preparing for coastal evacuations as Hurricane Dorian approaches the southeastern United States.

State officials held a press conference Wednesday evening, hours after Dorian reached hurricane strength and passed by the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp stressed that it is "very difficult" to project just where the storm may head in the coming days, and therefore, his administration is preparing for a number of possibilities. "We are already weighing considerations on how to potentially handle evacuation scenarios, including evacuations out of Florida into Georgia inland from Georgia's coast and what that may mean for traffic on our roadways throughout the Southeast," he said.

Kemp said discussions on how to deal with "vulnerable populations," including elderly, hospital populations, homeless people, and inmates. He also said preparations include communicating with the federal government and neighboring states.

More:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/georgia-preparing-for-coastal-evacuations-as-hurricane-dorian-nears

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Hurricane Dorian moves away from Puerto Rico, with Florida now in its sights
Sun Sentinel, Aug 28, 2019, 8:08 PM ET

All of Florida now is in Hurricane Dorian’s forecast zone as it travels away from Puerto Rico. Landfall on Labor Day as a Category 3 is increasingly likely, according to the National Hurricane Center’s 8 p.m. Wednesday weather update.

And somewhat ominously for South Florida, the predicted storm track continues to edge south.

“Dorian is forecast to strengthen into a powerful hurricane during the next few days over the Atlantic waters,” the center said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/fl-ne-hurricane-dorian-track-florida-20190828-4e5wysuk7nfrnikslra2buohxi-story.html

Shit.  It's turning South.

@Right_in_Virginia  Thanks for the sticky!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Sounds like a typical Weather Report for both places I've lived in Arizona:  "It might rain, unless it doesn't.  Be Prepared!"
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

Sounds like a typical Weather Report for both places I've lived in Arizona:  "It might rain, unless it doesn't.  Be Prepared!"

It's like the g-damned Hippy Dippy Weatherman around here. 

Offline Victoria33

@Cyber Liberty
@The Ghost

Every model, at 9:10 pm, central time, shows it going across Florida and into the Gulf.  Two weather systems block it from going north.  The gulf water is hotter than the ocean water and that means it will get much stronger and may go into Texas.

If that happens, I am sure you, Ghost, will gladly drive me (since you sold my car) from north of Dallas down to my townhouse which would likely be in the path of Dorian if it comes into Texas.  We can have lovely conversation for over three hours on our way down 45 to get there.  Since you lived in Texas, you already know how to get there.  Thanks so much for your offer of "Driving Miss Marcella" on another thread.   :bighug:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Latest from Levi:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
This is a link showing the highs in the gulf and eastern US for the next 3 days. 
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/national_forecast/natfcst.php?day=1] [url]https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/national_forecast/natfcst.php?day=1[/url]

Most spaghetti models are predicting it to turn north. 

Offline Applewood

Hey, don't knock Al Sleet.  At least he was accurate.  "Tonight's forecast:  dark."

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Puerto Rico is in great shape with Hurricane Dorian taking a largely different route than anticipated. Thank you to FEMA, first responders, and all, for working so hard & being so well prepared. A great result! The bad news, Florida get ready! Storm is building and will be BIG!

3:58 AM - 29 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1167028669988126722

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Hurricane Dorian looks like it will be hitting Florida late Sunday night. Be prepared and please follow State and Federal instructions, it will be a very big Hurricane, perhaps one of the biggest!

4:03 AM - 29 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1167030041303310336

Offline Applewood

In other words, Dorian is going to be YUGE!

Offline thackney

Hurricane Dorian may reach Category 4 strength before hitting Florida
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/hurricane-dorian-may-reach-category-4-strength-before-hitting-florida

All of the models show it growing in strength significantly.

It is going to be a rainy night in Georgia, eventually.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Victoria33

We have at least one member living in Florida.  If this storm gets to a 4, there will be major damage.  Prayers up for everyone in Florida.

Offline Applewood

We have at least one member living in Florida.  If this storm gets to a 4, there will be major damage.  Prayers up for everyone in Florida.

:amen: