Author Topic: China announces it seeks 'calm' end to trade war, as markets tank and currency hits 11-year flatline  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

China announces it seeks 'calm' end to trade war, as markets tank and currency hits 11-year flatline
Fox News, Aug 26, 2019, Gregg Re

A currency trader watches monitors at the foreign exchange dealing room of the KEB Hana Bank
headquarters in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, Aug. 26, 2019.

China signaled on Monday it was now seeking a "calm" end to its ongoing trade war with the U.S., as Asian markets crumbled and China's currency plummeted to an 11-year low following the latest tariffs on $550 billion in Chinese goods announced last Friday by the Trump administration.

News of the possible opening in negotiations came shortly after President Trump threatened to declare a national emergency that would result in American businesses freezing their relationships with China. Trump's tariff barrage on Friday was a response to China imposing its own retaliatory tariffs on $75 billion in U.S. goods.

At the Group of Seven summit in France on Sunday, White House officials rejected suggestions the president was wavering and insisted that his only regret was not implementing even more tariffs on China. Trump wrote on Twitter that world leaders at the G-7 were "laughing" at all the inaccurate media coverage of the gathering.

In response, Chinese Vice Premier Liu He told a state-controlled newspaper on Monday that "China is willing to resolve its trade dispute with the United States through calm negotiations and resolutely opposes the escalation of the conflict," Reuters first reported, citing a transcript of his remarks provided by the Chinese government. Liu is China's top trade negotiator.

Speaking at a technology conference in China, Liu added: “We believe that the escalation of the trade war is not beneficial for China, the United States, nor to the interests of the people of the world."

“We welcome enterprises from all over the world, including the United States, to invest and operate in China,” Liu said. “We will continue to create a good investment environment, protect intellectual property rights, promote the development of smart intelligent industries with our market open, resolutely oppose technological blockades and protectionism, and strive to protect the completeness of the supply chain.”

More: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/china-announces-it-seeks-end-to-trade-war-as-markets-tank-and-currency-hits-11-year-flatline

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:55:55 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Show no mercy until China stops shipping fentanyl.  No mercy at all.

Offline aligncare

Dare I suggest it? Looks like it’s China that blinked.  :yowsa:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
News of the possible opening in negotiations came shortly after President Trump threatened to declare a national emergency that would result in American businesses freezing their relationships with China. Trump's tariff barrage on Friday was a response to China imposing its own retaliatory tariffs on $75 billion in U.S. goods.

Except that at the end of July, they had already agreed to resume talks in early September, which will, again, go nowhere.

U.S. and Chinese trade negotiators plan to meet again in early September, as the latest round of negotiations ended with few signs of concrete progress.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-31/china-u-s-resume-trade-talks-amid-trump-s-rip-off-accusation
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

Dare I suggest it? Looks like it’s China that blinked.  :yowsa:

That seems to be the consensus of what is being reported.  Meanwhile ... futures are up almost 200 pts. :)
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Show no mercy until China stops shipping fentanyl.  No mercy at all.

Definitely a problem that is escalating; In 2015, United States border agents seized approximately 200 pounds of fentanyl among other synthetic opioids. In comparison, in 2014 they seized around 8 pounds.

Key Points:

Fentanyl gets smuggled into the US from Mexico, Canada and China
    Fentanyl is usually produced and trafficked out of China
    Fentanyl was created in 1959 as an anesthetic and pain reliever

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/fentanyl-addiction/where-does-fentanyl-come-from/#gref

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

Great respect for the fact that President Xi & his Representatives want “calm resolution.” So impressed that they are willing to come out & state the facts so accurately. This is why he is a great leader & representing a great country. Talks are continuing!

2:30 AM - 26 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1165919483191599104

Definitely a problem that is escalating; In 2015, United States border agents seized approximately 200 pounds of fentanyl among other synthetic opioids. In comparison, in 2014 they seized around 8 pounds.

Key Points:

Fentanyl gets smuggled into the US from Mexico, Canada and China
    Fentanyl is usually produced and trafficked out of China
    Fentanyl was created in 1959 as an anesthetic and pain reliever

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/fentanyl-addiction/where-does-fentanyl-come-from/#gref

More here @libertybele   http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,373253.0.html

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

Great respect for the fact that President Xi & his Representatives want “calm resolution.” So impressed that they are willing to come out & state the facts so accurately. This is why he is a great leader & representing a great country. Talks are continuing!

2:30 AM - 26 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1165919483191599104

The Stradivarius is out of the case.   Again!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
August 26, 2019
China blinks on trade, wants ‘calm’ talks
By Thomas Lifson

The corporate media will never admit it, but President Trump has masterfully lined-up support for America’s pressure on China, and China has blinked and now wants “calm” talks.  Reuters reports:

China is willing to resolve its trade dispute with the United States through “calm” negotiations and resolutely opposes the escalation of the conflict, Vice Premier Liu He, who has been leading the talks with Washington, said on Monday. (snip)

Liu, speaking at a tech conference in southwest China’s Chongqing, said nobody benefited from a trade war.

“We are willing to resolve the issue through consultations and cooperation in a calm attitude and resolutely oppose the escalation of the trade war,” Liu, who is President Xi Jinping’s top economic adviser, said, according to a government transcript.

“We believe that the escalation of the trade war is not beneficial for China, the United States, nor to the interests of the people of the world,” he added.

U.S. companies are especially welcome in China, and will be treated well, Liu said.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/08/china_blinks_on_trade_wants_calm_talks.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This is what we used to get
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline aligncare

I claim first use of ‘China blinked’ on this forum earlier this morning.  333cleo

Offline aligncare

Lol! Love the analogy.

Did I or did I not predict the President's performance would be a thing of beauty to behold?  @DCPatriot  88devil

Offline Mod5

Offline libertybele

Did I or did I not predict the President's performance would be a thing of beauty to behold?  @DCPatriot  88devil

Yes you did. Not a done deal yet and let's hope that the 'negotiations' continue in our favor.

Offline verga

Just when I start to think he has gone too far or said too much, the other side blinks.  :yowsa:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Yeah! And I'm sure WE will hear about it endlessly!   ****slapping
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

Melissa Cheok
@mkcheok

JUST IN: China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang says has no info on phone calls to U.S. cited by Trump, adding later “I can tell you clearly that I haven’t heard of such a thing”

* Says China will protect itself on trade if U.S. persists with current approach

2:41 AM · Aug 26, 2019·Twitter Web App

Seems like the only thing that is being played are the dupes who believe this call actually existed.

Beijing denies Trump's claim that China called US officials to restart talks

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/08/26/trump-us-china-trade-phone-calls-beijing-response-squawk-box.html

"Call Or No Call?" Mnuchin Explains What "Really" Happened

Reporter: "Did you mean to say that there was also a call last night [with China] or was there not actually a call?"

Steve Mnuchin: "There were discussions that went back and forth, and let's just leave it at that."

Trump [interrupting]: "Last night. And before last night."

[snip]

We give the last word to Jim Cramer, who waltzed onto CNBC's set this morning and proclaimed:

"You can claim that the president's a liar, but the futures are up, so I don't care..."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08-26/call-or-no-call-mnuchin-explains-what-really-happened
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:49:20 pm by edpc »

Offline skeeter

Melissa Cheok
@mkcheok

JUST IN: China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang says has no info on phone calls to U.S. cited by Trump, adding later “I can tell you clearly that I haven’t heard of such a thing”

* Says China will protect itself on trade if U.S. persists with current approach

Seems like the only thing that is being played are the dupes who believe this call actually existed.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/08/26/trump-us-china-trade-phone-calls-beijing-response-squawk-box.html

Reporter: "Did you mean to say that there was also a call last night [with China] or was there not actually a call?"

Steve Mnuchin: "There were discussions that went back and forth, and let's just leave it at that."

[snip]

We give the last word to Jim Cramer, who waltzed onto CNBC's set this morning and proclaimed:

"You can claim that the president's a liar, but the futures are up, so I don't care..."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08-26/call-or-no-call-mnuchin-explains-what-really-happened

Of course this has nothing to do with the main point of this thread. Which is China appears to be blinking.

Why is it when we have good news some people look so hard for ways to change the subject?

Offline edpc

Of course this has nothing to do with the main point of this thread. Which is China appears to be blinking.

Did you even bother reading the entire linked story, beginning the post? Probably not. Let me help you with the relevance....

Trump said Monday that officials from China called U.S. officials and expressed interest to "get back to the table,” The Wall Street Journal reported. He called the discussions a “very positive development.”

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why is it when we have good news some people look so hard for ways to change the subject?
There are a few here who always see the glass half empty.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline aligncare

Melissa Cheok
@mkcheok

[snip]

You’re a sad case. More than three years hundreds of your criticisms, barbs and blind alleys about Trump have proven wrong, yet you persist. Ever consider just changing sides? It’s real nice here on the conservative, winning side.

Offline edpc

There are a few here who always see the glass half empty.

There are plenty of lemmings, as well.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

There are plenty of lemmings, as well.

You are a sick individual, you know that.

@EdJames
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.