Author Topic: Our diets are fueling flames in the Amazon  (Read 684 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Our diets are fueling flames in the Amazon
« on: August 25, 2019, 03:44:45 pm »
By Shahir Masri, opinion contributor — 08/25/19 11:00 AM EDT

The Amazon has made headlines this month as fires rip across the region. While this is the dry season for the area, during which fires are common, fires have nonetheless reached unprecedented highs this season — up 80 percent compared to last year. As the Amazon burns, the world has lit up with despair and outrage, with hashtags such as #PrayForTheAmazon going viral.

As the fires and emotional uproar continue, one naturally wonders "who is to blame?" Of course, the obvious cause is "human ignition," as these fires are mostly due to farmers and ranchers using flames to clear forests and shrublands (a common practice in tropical regions). However, the underlying reason for farming-related fires is also important to pursue.

Some news reports point to climate change, as hotter and drier temperatures have contributed to the increased flammability of landscapes not only in Brazil, but all over the world. Others point to Brazil's new far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, who champions the exploitation of the Amazon for economic gain and who’s government has scaled back efforts to fight illegal logging, ranching and mining — thus emboldening more farmers, ranchers, and land-grabbers to clear forestlands.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/458719-our-diets-are-fueling-flames-in-the-amazon
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Our diets are fueling flames in the Amazon
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 03:52:16 pm »
By Shahir Masri, opinion contributor — 08/25/19 11:00 AM EDT

The Amazon has made headlines this month as fires rip across the region. While this is the dry season for the area, during which fires are common, fires have nonetheless reached unprecedented highs this season — up 80 percent compared to last year. As the Amazon burns, the world has lit up with despair and outrage, with hashtags such as #PrayForTheAmazon going viral.

As the fires and emotional uproar continue, one naturally wonders "who is to blame?" Of course, the obvious cause is "human ignition," as these fires are mostly due to farmers and ranchers using flames to clear forests and shrublands (a common practice in tropical regions). However, the underlying reason for farming-related fires is also important to pursue.

Some news reports point to climate change, as hotter and drier temperatures have contributed to the increased flammability of landscapes not only in Brazil, but all over the world. Others point to Brazil's new far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, who champions the exploitation of the Amazon for economic gain and who’s government has scaled back efforts to fight illegal logging, ranching and mining — thus emboldening more farmers, ranchers, and land-grabbers to clear forestlands.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/458719-our-diets-are-fueling-flames-in-the-amazon

Reading the article,  the US doesn't really import Brazilian beef,  but we're to blame... somehow.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:30:42 pm by Sanguine »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 04:06:16 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 04:54:26 pm »
I had the hiccups last night. They were caused by Donald Trump, America, and Global Warming.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 06:17:46 pm »
Reading the article,  the US doesn't really import Brazilian beef,  but we're too blame... somehow.
It's all part of the anti-meat babble of late.
I recall hearing on the radio how some guy at the UN wants us to cut our meat consumption to a burger and a half per week to fight climate change.
Note, also, the number of 'meatless" food ads, meat substitute burgers, even the outfit that had the ad that said "Where's the beef?" is touting a no-meat "burger" in teevee ads.
It's coordinated.

While research often claims there are no known major effects on male health or fertility, compare the American male population of 50 years ago with today's young men, the latter with a much higher exposure to the phytoestrogens in soy and make up your own mind. 

I have been a carnivore from my youth.
I'll take more red meat over desert, any time.
Never mind the tofu.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 06:19:58 pm »
Total load of bovine fecal matter.

That's three minutes I'll never get back.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 06:25:11 pm »
I had one of my own home-grown tomatoes for lunch. Pretty sure Brazil had nothing to do with it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 06:29:38 pm »
It's their rain forest.
If they want to burn it, that's up to them, but last I heard troops were being mobilized to fight wildfires there.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 06:34:18 pm »
It's their rain forest.
If they want to burn it, that's up to them, but last I heard troops were being mobilized to fight wildfires there.

Does anyone have the actual acreage involved?

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 06:36:06 pm »
I had one of my own home-grown tomatoes for lunch. Pretty sure Brazil had nothing to do with it.

Yabut was it one of those dangerous beefsteak tomatoes?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:38:35 pm »

Man, them are good! I remember sitting on my grandma's porch, in a hot summer's day... Beefsteak tomato in one hand, salt shaker in the other...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 06:39:50 pm »
It was, and it was magnificent.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdJames

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 06:43:47 pm »
Man, them are good! I remember sitting on my grandma's porch, in a hot summer's day... Beefsteak tomato in one hand, salt shaker in the other...

That is all that you need!

Offline EdJames

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 06:44:19 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 07:05:25 pm »
Does anyone have the actual acreage involved?
Well, a couple of articles I checked were laced with panicky jibber jaber, but no numbers for this year, only the typical "In the last 50 years..." which is a typical time stretch designed to inflate the numbers.
About as close as I have been able to get to any figures is this:

Meanwhile, as of August 16, a NASA analysis suggested that "total fire activity across the Amazon basin has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years". NASA noted that the Amazon spreads across several countries.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/amazon-burning-190823082046821.html

Here are the side effects I predict:

Increased agricultural and mining activity (better accessibility in some areas, and exposure of resources).

Archaeological discoveries, previously masked by foliage, some new finds will come to light after the fires burn out. These, too, will be more accessible by air (helo), and if significant enough, airstrips or roads may be built to access them further.

Nutrients will wash down the Amazon, eventually reaching the ocean and causing an increase in the phytoplankton count offshore, increasing oceanic oxygen production, and the soil in the rain forest will have new growth, also generating O2. There will be increased turbidity in tributaries until this happens, from runoff and erosion of soil.
More varied environments (non canopy jungle) will cause greater variation in habitat, and that will be filled by organisms which are best adapted to that habitat, increasing localized faunal biodiversity. (yeah, I thought that was a good thing)

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 07:22:08 pm »
Well, a couple of articles I checked were laced with panicky jibber jaber, but no numbers for this year, only the typical "In the last 50 years..." 

Yeah... Kinda what I have been seeing too - No real numbers, just liberal reporters running around with their hair on fire.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 08:12:08 pm »
Our diet for what? I would guess that more acres of Rainforest are lost to Biofuel crops than food crops or beef cattle.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 08:33:51 pm »
Reading the article,  the US doesn't really import Brazilian beef,  but we're too blame... somehow.
The guy is one of those true believers.  When you read his articles, they are all about doom and gloom and climate alarmism.

https://www.shahirmasri.com/articles.html

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 10:31:22 pm »
Yeah... Kinda what I have been seeing too - No real numbers, just liberal reporters running around with their hair on fire.
The Summer of the Shark, all over again. Except this time, it's being driven by social media hysteria on top of regular media.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 06:55:38 am »
The Summer of the Shark, all over again. Except this time, it's being driven by social media hysteria on top of regular media.
Social Media have become a powerful source of disinformation and misinformation. The articles I looked at trying to find information on just how many acres were burning failed miserably in delivering hard information, even as of any specific date. Instead they used plumped up numbers covering 50 years to make the current problem look like something to be hysterical about, and dodged the question of just how many acres (or hectares or square miles//kilometers) are or were on fire this year.

Let's all panic about something we can't see, have no first hand knowledge of, and no hard data on, and blame it on ranchers and farmers and evil industry, and don't leave out the "Wesa gonna diee!" part.

Phooey. It's a press release for Earth First or something like it, timed to coordinate with the UN saying you can't have a McDouble a week without threatening the planet with overheating.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 09:44:08 am »
I think we’ll take a pass on eating the Virtue Diet and stick with the normal human diet, thank you very much.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:56 pm »
Let's all panic about something we can't see, have no first hand knowledge of, and no hard data on, and blame it on ranchers and farmers and evil industry, and don't leave out the "Wesa gonna diee!" part.

That's the problem alright... For a bit of perspective, it is not uncommon for Montana to lose a quarter-million acres of forest per year to fire. I am sure one could cobble together the same sort of story up here, with plenty of pictures to go along.

And by the way, it is ALWAYS the farmers, ranchers, and eeevil industry...

Thanks, I will wait to hear from the folks that live there.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 08:21:03 pm »

Aided by Big Food/Big Pharma, that sees the writing on the wall that the Keto Diet is about to eat into their profits.