Author Topic: UK's Johnson tells Trump: Lower your trade barriers to seal UK deal  (Read 485 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
BIARRITZ, France (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson used a pre-G7 summit phone call to U.S. President Donald Trump to demand he lower trade barriers and open up parts of the U.S. economy to British firms, citing a wide range of markets from cars to cauliflowers.

The two spoke on Friday ahead of the meeting of world leaders in the French resort of Biarritz, where they are expected to talk up the prospect of a bilateral trade deal once Britain leaves the European Union.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/uks-johnson-tells-trump-lower-213758656.html

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: UK's Johnson tells Trump: Lower your trade barriers to seal UK deal
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 01:38:50 pm »
Johnson listed what he said were restrictions or tariffs on shower base units, wallpaper, fabric, cars, railway carriages, pork pies, cauliflowers, micro-brewery beer, insurance, public procurement contracts, bell peppers, wine and rulers.

If these items are the best GB has to offer, economically, they had better damn well stay in the EU.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:41:44 pm »
Johnson listed what he said were restrictions or tariffs on shower base units, wallpaper, fabric, cars, railway carriages, pork pies, cauliflowers, micro-brewery beer, insurance, public procurement contracts, bell peppers, wine and rulers.

If these items are the best GB has to offer, economically, they had better damn well stay in the EU.

Well, I for one would certainly love to see the tariffs lowered/removed on shower base units, pork pies, and rulers....

Who wouldn't?

:shrug:

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 01:44:45 pm »
Well, I for one would certainly love to see the tariffs lowered/removed on shower base units, pork pies, and rulers....

Who wouldn't?

:shrug:

Plus, their warm beer.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 04:34:14 pm »
I'm always saying that the price of rulers is too high and we need more competition in the ruler market.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 07:21:20 pm »
@edpc

You obviously do not know the sheer joy of Melton Mowbray pork pies.  They are absolutely wonderful dish, which I first encountered when a postdoc at McGill in Montreal corresponded in time with Marks & Spencer's brief foray into North America.  Since then, having spent a good bit of time in the UK when my daughter had a job at the University of York, I renewed my fondness for them.  Being able to buy them in the States would be a great boon.

As for the Brits' "warm beer", it's served cellar temperature, not warm, and the point is having beer that tastes so good it doesn't have to be served ice cold to be palatable, which they accomplish at least as well as our craft brewers.  Being able to pick up some Red Feather or Doom Bar on this side of the pond would be grand.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 09:24:30 pm »

Plus, their warm beer.

And their orthodontic devices.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 09:37:01 pm »

Everywhere I go people are knocking down the doors to get some of that British wine......

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »
Everywhere I go people are knocking down the doors to get some of that British wine......

When I was a kid, I remember a demand for their metal.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 12:14:11 am »

Yes, dentistry is not one of the Brits' fortes.  On the other hand, British Repair and Protect Sensodyne toothpaste actually works, while the American version sold under the same name is worthless.  (Did an ABA single case study on myself to prove that.) Fortunately, unlike Melton Mowbray pork pies, one can get the British product via Amazon from resellers in the UK.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.