Author Topic: Heat stress that killed thousands of salmon in Alaska is a sign of things to come, scientist warns  (Read 886 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Heat stress that killed thousands of salmon in Alaska is a sign of things to come, scientist warns | CBC News
Rhiannon Johnson · CBC News · Posted: Aug 24, 2019 4:00 AM ET |

Scientists suspect heat stress killed thousands of salmon in Alaska's Koyukuk River last month.

Wolf tracks leading up to a salmon carcass. Peter Westley of the University of Alaska Fairbanks says the animals probably walked up to the fish to smell it then left it without touching it. (Submitted by Peter Westley)

Scientists believe heat stress killed thousands of salmon in an Alaskan river last month.

From July 7 to 11, communities along the Koyukuk River experienced sustained air temperatures of over 30 C, well above the seasonal average highs of less than 20 C.

Shortly after the heat wave, locals began reporting an unusual number of dead chum salmon washing up on the banks of the river.

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/alaska-salmon-heat-deaths-1.5256288

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The Gaia worshipers only have one song on their playlist

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Thousands.  Does that mean anything in context?  I remember a report that in the one mile south of the Coralville Dam on the Iowa River there were an estimated 450,000 carp.  Killing "thousands" (or all of them) wouldn't even amount to a good start.

BTW, from the article...

Many chum salmon made it to their spawning grounds this year and it's not expected the deaths will have a drastic impact on the overall population.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

In the mean time... The PacNW and Northern Rockies are enjoying a cooler than normal summer... Here in MT, my yard is still green and growing, and for the first time in a decade, August was not 'Smoke Month'

So much for their assertions.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Thousands.  Does that mean anything in context?  I remember a report that in the one mile south of the Coralville Dam on the Iowa River there were an estimated 450,000 carp.  Killing "thousands" (or all of them) wouldn't even amount to a good start.

BTW, from the article...

Many chum salmon made it to their spawning grounds this year and it's not expected the deaths will have a drastic impact on the overall population.

And the survivors will breed a new generation that's more heat-tolerant...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In the mean time... The PacNW and Northern Rockies are enjoying a cooler than normal summer... Here in MT, my yard is still green and growing, and for the first time in a decade, August was not 'Smoke Month'

So much for their assertions.
Observing the same in North Dakota. We get rain almost daily, temps have not gone over the lower 90s, everything is still green. Looks like we'll get a second picking of Raspberries, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis