Author Topic: Evil in Plain Sight: Are Liberal Americans Becoming Increasingly Ignorant or Immoral?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline roamer_1

Your comment about "bastard children being rare" is maybe the biggest crock of crap I have ever seen posted.

You are welcome @sneakypete , to prove me wrong, but you will fail.

It was not only NOT rare 100+ years ago,it was WELCOME,even if rarely talked about in "polite company". ESPECIALLY in small communities in remote areas,where male strangers traveling through often received VERY "warm welcomes" by local wives because the locals recognized they NEEDED the "fresh outsider blood" injected (no pun intended) into their community to keep from becoming a tribe of drooling idiots.

Nah. Total bullshit. By local maidens, I might admit - of a certainty, young women looked to leverage their situation by way of the allure of strangers... Stories abound with that moral warning. And while there were no doubt affairs - again, the stories of our fathers abound - but all of that distracts from the norm - That norm being a man and a woman in matrimony, till death. Even yet you will find it the norm - Just masked by the statistics of the popular culture.

In my family, on both sides, going back as far as history affords, there are but three divorces - An aunt on my father's side, an uncle on my mother's side, both in the last generation, and my own. It just wasn't done, and should not be done now.

There was also the problem of farmers who might be impotent or sterile needing babies in order to have strong young bodies to help with the farm labor. It took an insane amount of labor to farm prior to mechanization,and the more children you had,the more land you could put under the plow,cattle you could milk,etc,etc,etc.

Your mischaracterization of such events stand against you. There is little to base the claim on sterile farmers... Infant and child mortality were high - or higher than now - And sure, there was a benefit in a big family (even as it remains today), but the adoptions to which you refer that emptied the orphanages of the cities, were governed by the churches with regard to placement, and that placement, by and large, was not for the benefit of the adopting parents, but rather a charity that was extended, and a good thing. 

There was also the question of sudden infant death syndrome,as well as childhood diseases and accidents.

...Standing outside of your point, promoting fornication and bastardy...

Hell,back in the late 1800's people in the rural western areas of the US were organizing trains to bring orphans from the big eastern cities out west to be adopted to work the farms for childless parents.

Right, except in the supposition of childless parents. No doubt some would be childless, but that was not the point of the adoption.

Truth to tell,there were a LOT more "bastards" born before 1970 in industrialized nations than there are today.

You will find that statistically impossible to prove. What you will find along those lines is a lot of 7 and 8 month old deliveries, within the bonds of marriage... Folks messin around and getting caught by a pregnancy generally did the right thing and got married - sometimes with a shotgun as an incentive. You will also find early widowhood, and children orphaned by fate.

You forget the social implications of your position - A woman alone with a bastard child had no recourse, and little in the way of means. Even as it is today, though the popular culture will not admit it. And a bastard child was unable by law to claim inheritance. And in a time when family was everything, being without family was nearly a death sentence, and likely to result at least in abject poverty.

I almost guffawed at the hilarity of your position... All one would need to do is look at the comparative drain upon society, now and then... There is no single other thing dragging down our society like the cost in single parent families and bastard children. By far and away, that is the major cause and cost of our welfare system, and entirely different from before, by orders of magnitude.

Bastard children have always been there, all the way along, sure. but in nowhere near the magnitude we suffer today. Likewise divorce - but statistically minute in comparison.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@roamer_1

You are completely delusional. According to your OWN superstitions,the first child born was a Bastard because Adam and Eve weren't married.

Not to mention a guy named Jesus,whose mother was married to a man who was not his father.

Your dogma keeps biting you in the ass.

No need to respond because you will have nothing of value to say.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

You are completely delusional. According to your OWN superstitions,the first child born was a Bastard because Adam and Eve weren't married.

Not to mention a guy named Jesus,whose mother was married to a man who was not his father.

Your dogma keeps biting you in the ass.

No need to respond because you will have nothing of value to say.

LOL! True to form @sneakypete ... your ignorance of the Bible is showing.

As to my delusion, look to the record - The statistics are there.

Online berdie

You are welcome @sneakypete , to prove me wrong, but you will fail.

Nah. Total bullshit. By local maidens, I might admit - of a certainty, young women looked to leverage their situation by way of the allure of strangers... Stories abound with that moral warning. And while there were no doubt affairs - again, the stories of our fathers abound - but all of that distracts from the norm - That norm being a man and a woman in matrimony, till death. Even yet you will find it the norm - Just masked by the statistics of the popular culture.

In my family, on both sides, going back as far as history affords, there are but three divorces - An aunt on my father's side, an uncle on my mother's side, both in the last generation, and my own. It just wasn't done, and should not be done now.

Your mischaracterization of such events stand against you. There is little to base the claim on sterile farmers... Infant and child mortality were high - or higher than now - And sure, there was a benefit in a big family (even as it remains today), but the adoptions to which you refer that emptied the orphanages of the cities, were governed by the churches with regard to placement, and that placement, by and large, was not for the benefit of the adopting parents, but rather a charity that was extended, and a good thing. 

...Standing outside of your point, promoting fornication and bastardy...

Right, except in the supposition of childless parents. No doubt some would be childless, but that was not the point of the adoption.

You will find that statistically impossible to prove. What you will find along those lines is a lot of 7 and 8 month old deliveries, within the bonds of marriage... Folks messin around and getting caught by a pregnancy generally did the right thing and got married - sometimes with a shotgun as an incentive. You will also find early widowhood, and children orphaned by fate.

You forget the social implications of your position - A woman alone with a bastard child had no recourse, and little in the way of means. Even as it is today, though the popular culture will not admit it. And a bastard child was unable by law to claim inheritance. And in a time when family was everything, being without family was nearly a death sentence, and likely to result at least in abject poverty.

I almost guffawed at the hilarity of your position... All one would need to do is look at the comparative drain upon society, now and then... There is no single other thing dragging down our society like the cost in single parent families and bastard children. By far and away, that is the major cause and cost of our welfare system, and entirely different from before, by orders of magnitude.

Bastard children have always been there, all the way along, sure. but in nowhere near the magnitude we suffer today. Likewise divorce - but statistically minute in comparison.

I agree with your stance. Even as recently as the 1960's divorce was uncommon and girls that got pregnant in high school or in later life were shunned...or got married.

These things are accepted now. No biggie.

Online berdie

@Bigun

BTW,respond if you want,but I can't guarantee that I will answer. I only visit this board now when I am bored,and plan to post only rarely.

I have noticed you haven't been posting and wondered if you were o.k. @sneakypete . You've always been very kind to me and a lot of your posts are very heart felt and insightful. Why are you angry?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:39:55 pm by berdie »

Offline roamer_1

I agree with your stance. Even as recently as the 1960's divorce was uncommon and girls that got pregnant in high school or in later life were shunned...or got married.

These things are accepted now. No biggie.

@berdie
I asked my old man about that very thing, later in life, before he passed away...
He too was a hellion in his youth...

Considering my own rebellion, in the late 70's and 80's, when 'lovin' was literally free and easy, I asked him how that worked in his day...

He said, about the same way... except there where a whole lot less women to choose from for the purpose of that particular exercise.

In his high school, there were a very few girls who would 'put out', and nobody brought them home to meet mamma.

I also discussed such things with Old Man Clarke - A local feller I got to know pretty good. He came across on a wagon as a small child, and saw the first car and the first plane to grace our little valley... He laid the roadbed for the locomotives to come here, and remembered logging with horses rather fondly...

As a young buck, his choices were the straight and narrow, or the whores across the tracks, and the diseases they came with...

The descent into madness is profound, and can be tracked.

Online berdie

@berdie
I asked my old man about that very thing, later in life, before he passed away...

Considering my own rebellion, in the late 70's and 80's, when 'lovin' was literally free and easy, I asked him how that worked in his day...

He said, about the same way... except there where a whole lot less women to choose from for the purpose of that particular exercise.

In his high school, there were a very few girls who would 'put out', and nobody brought them home to meet mamma.

I also discussed such things with Old Man Clarke - A local feller I got to know pretty good. He came across on a wagon as a small child, and saw the first car and the first plane to grace our little valley... He laid the roadbed for the locomotives to come here, and remembered logging with horses rather fondly...

As a young buck, his choices were the straight and narrow, or the whores across the tracks, and the diseases they came with...

I think the old saying was, a nice girl to marry a not nice girl to have fun with. Heck that saying isn't all that old in my world!!

Offline roamer_1

I think the old saying was, a nice girl to marry a not nice girl to have fun with. Heck that saying isn't all that old in my world!!

@berdie
That's right. And it only stands to reason. It is hard to find faithfulness among the faithless... By the very definition, good faith in a marriage contract requires virtue that is wasted upon those who discount it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@berdie

Tracked it to Here. Perhaps you missed it @roamer_1.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Dunno. Nice girls do, too, just not for the whole town.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Tracked it to Here. Perhaps you missed it @roamer_1.

As a vehicle thereof, true, @Bigun , but a people that can be convinced of the value of communism has already lost it's virtue. The apple was not the point back there in Eden...nor was the temptation... It was the character of the people that allowed it.

It is hard for me to approach this issue without religion, which is the cover of the Book that holds our ethic... So I will just leave it to de Toqueville, who spoke our doom succinctly:

"I sought for the key to the greatness of America in her harbors...; in her fertile fields and boundless forests; in her rich mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and institutions of learning. I sought for it in her democratic Congress and in her matchless Constitution. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." -Alexis de Tocqueville

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
As a vehicle thereof, true, @Bigun , but a people that can be convinced of the value of communism has already lost it's virtue. The apple was not the point back there in Eden...nor was the temptation... It was the character of the people that allowed it.

It is hard for me to approach this issue without religion, which is the cover of the Book that holds our ethic... So I will just leave it to de Toqueville, who spoke our doom succinctly:

"I sought for the key to the greatness of America in her harbors...; in her fertile fields and boundless forests; in her rich mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and institutions of learning. I sought for it in her democratic Congress and in her matchless Constitution. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." -Alexis de Tocqueville

Whoop!  There it tis!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
My father often referred to my brothers and I as "you little bastards". And there for a few years I was sure my name was Jesus Christ.

My BIL just did the Ancestry DNA thing and found out the man who raised him wasn't his father. He would have preferred going to his grave NOT knowing that.

A man moves to a new neighborhood and is getting all of his stuff moved in when the doorbell rings. He answers the door to find a big, burly guy chewing tobacco wearing a greasy tank top. "Welcome to the neighborhood!" The visitor says and shakes the mans hand. "Say, later I am having a party and since you are new, you should drop by....there's gonna be a lot of eating, drinking, fighting and fu*****." The man says "Great, that sounds like fun! What should I wear?" The fat neighbor replies..."it don't matter, it's just gonna be me and you"

seeyaluvyabye

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley