Author Topic: First death linked to vaping reported in Illinois  (Read 1194 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
First death linked to vaping reported in Illinois
« on: August 24, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »
First death linked to vaping reported in Illinois

A patient has died after developing a severe respiratory disease due to vaping in the first such death in the US, say health officials.

It comes as experts investigate a mystery lung disease across the US that is linked to use of e-cigarettes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said there were 193 "potential cases" in 22 US states.

Many of the cases involve vaping THC, the main active compound in cannabis, CDC experts said.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49452256

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: First death linked to vaping reported in Illinois
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 03:01:02 pm »
My first guess would be that it was something related to improper cleaning of the device, not that I've seen one within 5 feet of me. Kind of like Legionnaire's Disease in HVAC systems.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 03:08:47 pm »
My first guess would be that it was something related to improper cleaning of the device, not that I've seen one within 5 feet of me. Kind of like Legionnaire's Disease in HVAC systems.

Good thought and probably true.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 03:23:09 pm »
There is no evidence of an infectious disease - such as a virus or bacteria - being responsible.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 04:35:35 pm »
There is no evidence of an infectious disease - such as a virus or bacteria - being responsible.

I haven't been following this - just heard of it a day or two ago. Another avenue to investigate would be whatever chemicals were in the liquid, especially whatever would be in common among the known cases.

My view of vaping at present: regular cigarettes have nicotine, which is addictive, and tars, which can cause cancers; vaping has nicotine, which is addictive, but no tars. So vaping seems less harmful, and akin to nicotine gums and patches (which are OTC). What this situation - the several people who problems as well as the guy who died - opens up is question of the various chemicals mixed in the liquid (flavoring, THC or whatever it is) whose effects are not known.

Not that I think my views are all that momentous ... my opinion and a tenner will get you a fancy latte' and change at a Dutch Bros Coffee store.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 06:12:18 pm »
That someone died of vaping in Illiinois is not a big deal. The real concern is whether the state govt was able to not let a crisis go to waste and find a way tax it somehow.
The Republic is lost.

Online berdie

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »

I tend to agree with your theory. However, when I was quitting smoking...I vaped. It eventually made me cough and my chest hurt.  My device was kept clean. So it maybe a combination of unclean devices and the liquid put in them. Plus, a person actually inhales more "smoke" than they do with cigarettes.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:15:59 am »
Vaping is bad for oral health, too.
Why vaping could give you cavities
If you aren't already diligently brushing and flossing your teeth every day, your Juuling habit could have serious consequences for your mouth.
    By    Danielle Kosecki
July 11, 2019 9:44 AM PDT

You might already know that vaping comes with many health risks, including an increase risk for having a seizure or developing heart disease. But that list of health issues just keeps growing. New York periodontist Scott Froum, D.D.S. started noticing a troubling trend among his patients -- those who used e-cigarettes (aka vaporizers) experienced significant tooth decay.   ...

Anecdotal stories don't definitively prove vaping makes your teeth rot, but they shouldn't be dismissed outright either. Most experts agree that although e-cigarettes generally contain fewer toxins than tobacco cigarettes, that doesn't mean they're harmless. And after reviewing the evidence on how propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and nicotine -- the three most common ingredients in e-cigarettes -- can affect oral health, Froum thinks there's cause for concern.

Propylene glycol, a liquid alcohol that's often used in food processing because of its ability to mix well with flavoring ingredients, can lead to dry mouth, which (when chronic) can cause cavities and gum disease. PG also breaks down into acetic acid, lactic acid and propionaldehyde -- all of which are known to deteriorate tooth enamel and soft tissues.

Research also shows that when teeth are exposed to vaping aerosol that contains a mix of vegetable glycerin and flavorings, they carry four times more bacteria than teeth that haven't been exposed.   ...
More at CNET
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 05:41:17 am »
Vaping is bad for oral health, too. More at CNET
Cookies, Ice Cream, Apple Pie... Bad oral hygiene is the biggie for causing cavities. But blaming tobacco (and now vaping) is a hot new attack angle. What do I see when I look at the guy in the commercial without any front teeth? A hockey player...

But let's pick out one thing and blame it for all the ills in humanity.

I don't vape, never did, but for Pete's sake, this singling out one of myriad possible factors or contributing factors to attack as being THE factor is just Bull.
All it does is leads to ignoring other factors to the point that real risk assessment isn't possible.
Worked in a Uranium mine and had lung cancer? Musta been the asbestos in your linoleum, or maybe the cigarettes you smoked.
(Who has the deepest pockets/what fits the narrative/what will make Pharma (replacement therapy) and the lawyers (on contingency fees, plus expenses) the most money?)

With all the "science" being thrown at us over Climate Change, and having observed the whole "Tobacco has no medical use" narrative, even as people quitting cigarettes (which were effectively a low dose antidepressant) take even more harmful drugs, I am ever skeptical of those who have built careers for fun and profit over the antitobacco jihad.
I long for the days when they just said they didn't like the smell.

Interesting, though is the de-emphasis on the vape being used to smoke oils containing THC, the whole time that there is the big putsch to legalize recreational pot. Maybe pot might have some 'side effects' that are deleterious to health, too, (ya think??), but gubmint has it's eyes on big tax bucks and control of the Lotus-eating masses. (Recall soma from Brave New World?)

Think about it. For some, Brave New World and 1984 were horror stories of hideous futures to be avoided.
Others saw them as epiphanies of a different sort, and kluged them together in their master plans, their goals for the future of humanity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 11:30:05 am »
Cookies, Ice Cream, Apple Pie... Bad oral hygiene is the biggie for causing cavities.
You don't have to convince me. I live in Appalachia.  :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 04:07:54 pm »
You don't have to convince me. I live in Appalachia.  :whistle:
I have been there. Went to college in the Shenandoah Valley, worked in Bath County VA. Great people overall, but if you don't take care of the teeth, they go to hell in a handbasket.

Blame moon pies and soda pop.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 04:38:33 pm »

I tend to agree with your theory. However, when I was quitting smoking...I vaped. It eventually made me cough and my chest hurt.  My device was kept clean. So it maybe a combination of unclean devices and the liquid put in them. Plus, a person actually inhales more "smoke" than they do with cigarettes.

I find a good number of scents are irritating, and constant or long-term irritation of the bronchi and lungs is not a healthy thing.

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 04:53:29 pm »
   IMHO, this is big tobacco propaganda.

Disclaimer: I quit vaping last year, still on Analogues.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 04:56:53 pm »
Cookies, Ice Cream, Apple Pie... Bad oral hygiene is the biggie for causing cavities. But blaming tobacco (and now vaping) is a hot new attack angle. What do I see when I look at the guy in the commercial without any front teeth? A hockey player...

But let's pick out one thing and blame it for all the ills in humanity.

I don't vape, never did, but for Pete's sake, this singling out one of myriad possible factors or contributing factors to attack as being THE factor is just Bull.
All it does is leads to ignoring other factors to the point that real risk assessment isn't possible.
Worked in a Uranium mine and had lung cancer? Musta been the asbestos in your linoleum, or maybe the cigarettes you smoked.
(Who has the deepest pockets/what fits the narrative/what will make Pharma (replacement therapy) and the lawyers (on contingency fees, plus expenses) the most money?)

With all the "science" being thrown at us over Climate Change, and having observed the whole "Tobacco has no medical use" narrative, even as people quitting cigarettes (which were effectively a low dose antidepressant) take even more harmful drugs, I am ever skeptical of those who have built careers for fun and profit over the antitobacco jihad.
I long for the days when they just said they didn't like the smell.

Interesting, though is the de-emphasis on the vape being used to smoke oils containing THC, the whole time that there is the big putsch to legalize recreational pot. Maybe pot might have some 'side effects' that are deleterious to health, too, (ya think??), but gubmint has it's eyes on big tax bucks and control of the Lotus-eating masses. (Recall soma from Brave New World?)

Think about it. For some, Brave New World and 1984 were horror stories of hideous futures to be avoided.
Others saw them as epiphanies of a different sort, and kluged them together in their master plans, their goals for the future of humanity.

I was in a logging truck the other day.  The engineer and the technician running the reel were both vaping.  The entire truck stayed in a fog.  I HATED it!  The scent was overpowering not to mention, I really don't care to inhale what they are vaping.  I have no problem with vaping, just don't do it around me.  :o)

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 04:58:49 pm »
I was in a logging truck the other day.  The engineer and the technician running the reel were both vaping.  The entire truck stayed in a fog.  I HATED it!  The scent was overpowering not to mention, I really don't care to inhale what they are vaping.  I have no problem with vaping, just don't do it around me.  :o)
Most outfits would at least vent the truck or do it outside. I haven't been in a logging truck for a couple of years. (MWD pretty much did away with open hole W/L, at least up this way.)

C S Lewis