Author Topic: Mitch McConnell warns Dems not to change filibuster: 'You'll regret this'  (Read 349 times)

Offline corbe

Mitch McConnell warns Dems not to change filibuster: 'You'll regret this'

By Stephen Dinan   - The Washington Times - Thursday, August 22, 2019 

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell warned Democrats Thursday against doing away with the filibuster, saying they may not be happy with the unintended consequences.

He was pushing back against a vocal push by liberal activists, Democratic presidential candidates and even prominent former senators who say it’s time to do away with the defining feature of the Senate.

“I hope the saner voices among Democrats can help their compatriots see reason,” Mr. McConnell wrote in an op-ed in The New York Times.

Though the Constitution doesn’t mention the filibuster, Mr. McConnell said it flowed “directly downstream from our founding tradition” of careful deliberation, rather than efficiency of action.

“If that tradition frustrates the whims of those on the far left, it is their half-baked proposals and not the centuries-old wisdom that need retooling,” he said.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/22/mitch-mcconnell-warns-dems-not-change-filibuster/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No Mitch.

It's YOU who should have tossed the [anti-Constitutional] filibuster onto the ash heap of history.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Art I, Sect 5:

2: Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings

aka the filibuster is Constitutional
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.