Author Topic: Suspect held in shootout near US-Mexico border; Texas trooper 'critical' but stable  (Read 1056 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Suspect held in shootout near US-Mexico border; Texas trooper 'critical' but stable
 By Stephen Sorace | Fox News

A Texas state trooper was in critical but stable condition early Sunday after being shot while approaching a driver who had fled from a crash scene not far from the U.S.-Mexico border, authorities said.

Further information on the trooper’s condition, along with his name, was not immediately available.

The trooper was shot multiple times late Saturday and rushed to an Edinburg hospital, where he underwent surgery and was “fighting for his life,” Hidalgo County Sheriff Eddie Guerra wrote on Twitter. Edinburg is about 64 miles northwest of Brownsville in the state's border region.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/suspect-held-in-shootout-near-us-mexico-border-texas-trooper-stable-but-critical

Major story, I"m not sure if anyone posted this yet? Could go into National news.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
"The suspect, identified as Victor Alejandro Godinez, evaded immediate capture but was taken into custody early Sunday in the Edinburg area, authorities said. Police later confirmed that Godinez is a U.S. citizen and resident of Edinburg."

Hope the trooper recovers.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes, hoping the trooper recovers. 

rangerrebew

Suspect Arrested in Shooting of Texas Trooper Fighting for His Life
By Tom Ozimek
April 7, 2019 Updated: April 7, 2019

A suspect is in custody following the shooting of a Texas trooper during an attempted traffic stop.

Victor Alejandro Godinez, 24, has been arrested, according to multiple law enforcement and government sources, after initially evading capture and sparking a manhunt.

Godinez is suspected of involvement in an incident in Edinburg on Saturday, April 6, in which a Department of Public Safety (DPS) trooper was shot.

The trooper, who has not been identified, was rushed to an area hospital where authorities said he remains in critical condition.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/suspect-arrested-in-shooting-of-texas-trooper-fighting-for-his-life_2869823.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:16:57 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Since ol' Victor's nationality is not addressed, it might be a strong indication he isn't an American. :pondering:

Offline Mod2

Topics merged.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Here's the latest I could find as to the trooper's condition:

Trooper still in hospital; Rangers lead investigation

EDINBURG — A Texas Department of Public Safety trooper who was shot Saturday night remains hospitalized, Edinburg Police Chief Cesar Torres said Monday.

The chief held a brief news conference to update the community on the investigation into the shooting of trooper Moises Sanchez, 48, who is stable but in critical condition at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance. He released little new information beyond what DPS shared in the hours following the shooting, which occurred shortly before 9 p.m. Saturday.

The Texas Rangers, the investigative arm of DPS, are leading the investigation.

Victor Alejandro Godinez, 24 of Edinburg, was taken into custody...

https://www.themonitor.com/2019/04/08/texas-rangers-lead-investigation-dps-trooper-police-shooting/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I was looking online to see if there is an update on Trooper Sanchez and his family.  There isn't, but there is a GoFundMe page for the trooper:  https://www.gofundme.com/troopersanchez.  I find it heartening that it is managed by the Hidalgo County Teenage Republicans. 

Trooper Sanchez:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
DPS Trooper Sanchez dies after surgery

BY MARK REAGAN AND MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ | STAFF WRITERS

Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Moises Sanchez has died following complications from surgery this week stemming from gunshot wounds he sustained in April. He was 49.

State Sen. Juan “Chuy” Hinojosa, D-McAllen, confirmed his death via Facebook Saturday afternoon.

“Today our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Trooper Sanchez who has made the ultimate sacrifice for our families. I also appreciate the healthcare teams that cared for Trooper Sanchez while he fought bravely and courageously these past four months. May he Rest in Peace and be in Heaven. Semper Fi to a former Marine,” Hinojosa said....

https://www.themonitor.com/2019/08/24/state-senator-dps-trooper-sanchez-dies-surgery-complications/

So sad.  He had seemed to be getting better.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Rest in peace  Trooper Sanchez! You earned that.  And I pray that your untimely death will not be for nothing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Terrible. LEOs put their lives at risk every day.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
So sad.  He had seemed to be getting better.

Rest in peace.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

And the perp they chased down and apprehended has plead 'not guilty'.

Man Accused of Shooting State Trooper Pleads Not Guilty

EDINBURG – The man accused of shooting a state trooper in April went before a judge Wednesday.

Victor Alejandro Godinez was arraigned and pled not guilty to his three charges of attempted capital murder.

Judge Letty Lopez set a pretrial hearing for Aug. 22.

Godinez allegedly shot Trooper Moises Sanchez after fleeing from a crash site.

https://www.krgv.com/news/man-accused-of-shooting-state-trooper-pleads-not-guilty/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington