Author Topic: Trump: "Who is our bigger enemy," Powell or China's Xi?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump: "Who is our bigger enemy," Powell or China's Xi?
« on: August 23, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »
President Trump just aired further grievances against Chairman Jerome Powell, who delivered a speech in Jackson Hole this morning.

As usual, the Fed did NOTHING! It is incredible that they can “speak” without knowing or asking what I am doing, which will be announced shortly. We have a very strong dollar and a very weak Fed. I will work “brilliantly” with both, and the U.S. will do great...

....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel or Chairman Xi?

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 23, 2019

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/economy-china-jerome-powell/index.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Trump: "Who is our bigger enemy," Powell or China's Xi?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:11:26 pm »
Somebody remind me, who appointed Powell?

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:19:39 pm »
   Omarosa insisted he'd be the best Fed Chair ever.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:36:23 pm »
Dow down...375 and falling
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:38:52 pm »
Dow down...375 and falling

‘I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon.’

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914962529247232

Yes - after the market closes.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 04:06:00 pm »
Fed Chair Jerome Powell says he can’t fix trade war’s damage to the economy
https://www.vox.com/2019/8/23/20829708/jerome-powell-trump-trade?fbclid=IwAR1th-9JKvPK4FrnVsHY56WSFnaaD3MWCouUi322PTmq7mIPccvPj4JkaJk
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 04:31:40 pm »
Trump vows to respond to latest tariffs, calls for US companies to 'start looking for an alternative to China'
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458554-trump-vows-to-respond-to-latest-tariffs-calls-for-us-companies-to
Support the USO

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 04:33:54 pm »
With regard to this trade war, our bigger enemy is Trump.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 04:38:45 pm »
Support the USO

Offline LMAO

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 04:43:42 pm »

@edpc

:2popcorn:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 04:55:57 pm »
Dow down...375 and falling.

'As of now, it's down 407.  But we aren't supposed to be worried about that.  Even if our retirement plan goes belly up, it's a small sacrifice to make for the good of America. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 04:58:54 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 05:03:08 pm »
I don't believe Trump's orders have any legal effect. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »

Trump has already set up Mr. Powell to take the fall if the economy goes south.  This is  standard operating procedure with Trump.  If anything goes wrong, it will always be someone else's fault.  Trump is never to blame. 

I guess President Truman's sign, "The Buck Stops Here" has been misplaced.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »

He can tweet all he wants.  Bottom line is China announced a tariff hike on $75 billion of U.S. products; that is in addition to the initial tariffs implemented. They are also imposing import duties on U.S. cars and parts.

It is difficult to find things that are made in China or contain parts made in China.  The cost of this trade war is being absorbed by the U.S. consumer.  China isn't backing down and isn't going to back down.  Europe and Japan acknowledge the unfair trade practices, but acknowledgements and resolutions are two different things. 

Obviously the 'talks' between Trump and Xi haven't gone so well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:11:43 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 05:18:58 pm »
Trump has already set up Mr. Powell to take the fall if the economy goes south.  This is  standard operating procedure with Trump.  If anything goes wrong, it will always be someone else's fault.  Trump is never to blame. 

I guess President Truman's sign, "The Buck Stops Here" has been misplaced.

It isn’t just Mr. Powell he’s looking to take the blame

This president and the former president share a lot of similar traits
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 05:26:28 pm »
The reality is this, if Trump wants to win reelection he better stop this stupid trade war. People vote with their pocketbooks and now 401k. If they see their retirement go away or shrink they will not vote for Trump period.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 05:31:16 pm »
He can tweet all he wants.  Bottom line is China announced a tariff hike on $75 billion of U.S. products; that is in addition to the initial tariffs implemented. They are also imposing import duties on U.S. cars and parts.

It is difficult to find things that are made in China or contain parts made in China.  The cost of this trade war is being absorbed by the U.S. consumer.  China isn't backing down and isn't going to back down.  Europe and Japan acknowledge the unfair trade practices, but acknowledgements and resolutions are two different things. 

Obviously the 'talks' between Trump and Xi haven't gone so well.

Rest assured we are watching a thing of beauty.... China's so damn used to buying our "leaders" their heads (and economy) are exploding over this.  Trump's been saying for days he doesn't want a deal with China right now....so China's trying to make POTUS blink.  Really.   :laugh: 

Civil unrest in Hong Kong, a declining economy and looming hyperinflation …. China is in trouble. The only ones who can help China out are the American media, NTers and leaders financially tied to China ….  you know, the dregs. 

Best. Election. EVAH.   :patriot:

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Online corbe

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 05:41:45 pm »
Rest assured we are watching a thing of beauty.... China's so damn used to buying our "leaders" their heads (and economy) are exploding over this.  Trump's been saying for days he doesn't want a deal with China right now....so China's trying to make POTUS blink.  Really.   :laugh: 

Civil unrest in Hong Kong, a declining economy and looming hyperinflation …. China is in trouble. The only ones who can help China out are the American media, NTers and leaders financially tied to China ….  you know, the dregs. 

Good to know where I fit into your Blame Game @Right_in_Virginia
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 05:50:27 pm »

1. I will vote for Trump in 2020
2. I'm not financially tied to China.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 06:00:32 pm »

1. I will vote for Trump in 2020
2. I'm not financially tied to China.

Ditto @kevindavis

Offline LMAO

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 06:17:52 pm »

And things may work out in the end were China blinks  and things settle down and Trump claims a major victory

Could also very easily go the other way

We will see

Barry Goldwater

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 06:23:23 pm »
Well, I won't vote for Trump in 2020 an I'm sure the companies in which I have stock have ties to China.  Probably much of the "stuff" I have is made in China, or some parts are made in China. 

So I guess I'm an enemy of the state.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 06:25:25 pm »
And by the way, the Dow is now down 512 points.