Author Topic: Trump: "Who is our bigger enemy," Powell or China's Xi?  (Read 3236 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Trump: "Who is our bigger enemy," Powell or China's Xi?
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2019, 01:44:46 pm »
Maybe Trump shouldn't be listening to Pat Buchanan.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2019, 03:02:57 pm »
There has to be a better way to accomplish these goals without financially ruining a large number of Americans. 

And the national debt is "unsustainable" because of DC's penchant for massive spending.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Certainly I believe the President is absolutely correct, we cannot allow China to dictate our economy.  Yes we are all going to feel some pain in our wallets, but to completely destroy and wipe out people's 401k's, IRA's, retirement financial plans, is quite another.  A global recession is going to be felt here in the U.S., and many could face losing their jobs, losing their homes, etc., it's going to cost everyone except the top 1% who are wealthy like Trump; he's got enough money that it will never affect him or his family.  Families living paycheck to paycheck, retirees living on fixed incomes, and many others will face extreme hardship and could possibly not be forced into poverty.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2019, 04:21:18 pm »
An out-of-control Trump maligns his own Fed chairman
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/an-out-of-control-trump-maligns-his-own-fed-chairman
@mystery-ak

I just read Powell's entire speech given at Jackson Hole.  It is very long; he knows the entire history of the Federal Reserve and compares that history to today's monetary condition.  He appears to be super intelligent.
Here is what he said about trade via Trump without mentioning his name:

"We have much experience in addressing typical macroeconomic developments under this framework. But fitting trade policy uncertainty into this framework is a new challenge. Setting trade policy is the business of Congress and the Administration, not that of the Fed.  Our assignment is to use monetary policy to foster our statutory goals. In principle, anything that affects the outlook for employment and inflation could also affect the appropriate stance of monetary policy, and that could include uncertainty about trade policy. There are, however, no recent precedents to guide any policy response to the current situation. Moreover, while monetary policy is a powerful tool that works to support consumer spending, business investment, and public confidence, it cannot provide a settled rulebook for international trade. We can, however, try to look through what may be passing events, focus on how trade developments are affecting the outlook, and adjust policy to promote our objectives."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »
It’s a familiar formula. Trump is hoping that Powell will tire of the insults and rants, then resign, like Sessions did.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2019, 05:17:56 pm »
Thanks @Victoria33   Seems to me Mr. Powell knows his stuff when it comes to the economy.   Trump doesn't.  And Trump supposedly graduated from the Wharton School. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2019, 05:47:23 pm »
The biggest problem is Trump decided to open a trade war on multiple fronts. Whether he realizes it, or not, cooperation is required. Instead of reaching an agreement with the EU on trade first, he goes after Canada, Mexico, China, and the EU, nearly at the same time. This is why it’s difficult to secure cooperation on China and/or Iran.

Host Emmanuel Macron, France's president, and even British Prime Minister Boris Johnson also sounded the alarm about the dangers of Trump's escalating trade war with China.

"I am very concerned. The UK is at risk of being implicated in this. This is not the way to proceed," Johnson told reporters on the plane to the G7 summit in Biarritz.

"I want to see a dialling down of tensions."

-snip-

"This may be the last moment to restore our political community," he [EU Council President Donald Tusk] said. "The world needs our cooperation."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/protests-greet-g7-leaders-discuss-amazon-fires-trade-020344830.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:33 pm »
For some of us employement is heavily reliant on trade with China. If China cancels orders with Boeing, Kenworth, Caterpillar,  Fords and Chevy, you are all going to feel it.
-------------------------------
The Chinese have been cheating, lying and stealing since the Shang Dynasty of 1500 BC.
That is the issue and emphatically NOT size of the wallets of assorted multi-nationals.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2019, 08:47:05 pm »
This country was founded by men who loved liberty and were determined to have it regardless of the cost.  Now it seems that the order of the day is "How do I get another slice of meat on MY sandwich!" 

It's shameful!

Sacrifices of our founders.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2019, 09:25:16 pm »
This country was founded by men who loved liberty and were determined to have it regardless of the cost.  Now it seems that the order of the day is "How do I get another slice of meat on MY sandwich!" 

It's shameful!

@Bigun I thought that @Sanguine addressed that very directly over here: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,373126.msg2040358.html#msg2040358

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2019, 09:32:59 pm »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2019, 09:43:31 pm »

It's shameful!

Don't try to guilt me because I'm concerned about what I'm going to have to live on in my old age.    I made more than my share of sacrifices for others.   I worked long hours, gave up many an evening and weekend (and more than a few holidays) to get what I have.   Now that I'm old and have some health issues, it's time I worry about me. 

If you have so much money that you can afford to lose most of it to Trump's foolish trade war -- then fine by me.  But don't you dare try to lay a guilt trip on me for wanting to keep what little I have worked so hard for. 

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2019, 09:52:08 pm »
:yowsa: She sure did and I will tell her so @EdJames!

888high58888

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2019, 10:09:10 pm »
Don't try to guilt me because I'm concerned about what I'm going to have to live on in my old age.    I made more than my share of sacrifices for others.   I worked long hours, gave up many an evening and weekend (and more than a few holidays) to get what I have.   Now that I'm old and have some health issues, it's time I worry about me. 

If you have so much money that you can afford to lose most of it to Trump's foolish trade war -- then fine by me.  But don't you dare try to lay a guilt trip on me for wanting to keep what little I have worked so hard for.

Yeah, I'm there too, I worked very hard to get where I am.  And, I'm willing to give some to get a better outcome for my kids and grandkids.  Even for your kids and grandkids.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2019, 10:17:45 pm »
Yeah, I'm there too, I worked very hard to get where I am.  And, I'm willing to give some to get a better outcome for my kids and grandkids.  Even for your kids and grandkids.

Well, I don't have kids or grandkids, but if I did, I'd want them to work for what they have and be able to keep what they have in their old age.  Trump's trade war and other government shenanigans make that difficult, if not impossible.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2019, 10:21:39 pm »

@Applewood

Just the facts Mam! Nothing but the facts.  Any guilt you may feel is self-imposed.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2019, 10:22:08 pm »
Well, I don't have kids or grandkids, but if I did, I'd want them to work for what they have and be able to keep what they have in their old age.  Trump's trade war and other government shenanigans make that difficult, if not impossible.

"Work for what they want"?  First, they have to finish paying for us!  They're not the ones who have run up this enormous tab.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2019, 10:23:44 pm »
"Work for what they want"?  First, they have to finish paying for us!  They're not the ones who have run up this enormous tab.

:yowsa:  pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2019, 10:27:54 pm »
@Applewood

Just the facts Mam! Nothing but the facts.  Any guilt you may feel is self-imposed.

I don't feel any guilt at all. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2019, 10:30:05 pm »

You've got a poor attitude about this, @Applewood

During the Great War, nylon stockings took a back seat to parachutes, etc..

Our aunts put on coveralls while the men were fighting.

Not asking and not expecting that you should give any of your hard-earned money/wealth to others.

China has been stealing our intellectual property and through trade, has both hands on the scale. 

President Trump is making an effort to bring wealth back to the United States either with a fairer trade policy, or tariffs up the Ying-Yang!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2019, 10:36:11 pm »

'Whose fault is that?  Not mine or  yours.  The fault lies in our government which spends like drunken sailors.

(Apologies to all drunken sailors everywhere.)

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2019, 10:40:06 pm »
'Whose fault is that?  Not mine or  yours.  The fault lies in our government which spends like drunken sailors.

(Apologies to all drunken sailors everywhere.)

I beg to differ @Applewood, who was it that elected those people?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2019, 10:48:38 pm »
I beg to differ @Applewood, who was it that elected those people?

I didn't vote for Trump who signed all those spending spree bills.   

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2019, 10:53:01 pm »
I didn't vote for Trump who signed all those spending spree bills.

You think Trump is responsible for us having spent a large portion of our children's money before they were even born?

The president does not get to appropriate so much as a penny.  Surely you know that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:54:57 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2019, 11:07:25 pm »
You think Trump is responsible for us having spent a large portion of our children's money before they were even born?

The president does not get to appropriate so much as a penny.  Surely you know that.

But Trump signed off on those spending spree bills.  If he was so concerned about runaway spending, he would have vetoed those bills.

I used Trump as an example because despite Trump supporters' assurances that he would be different from the rest of those spendthrifts in DC -- he isn't.