Author Topic: China retaliates against the US with tariffs on $75B worth of American goods  (Read 2537 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The trade war between the U.S. and China escalated further Friday as China announced a new set of tariffs on American products.

The China State Council announced Friday that it would impose tariffs ranging from 5% to 10% on an additional $75 billion in U.S. goods, according to state media outlet Global Times.

The new tariffs are poised to go into effect in stages, with the first round beginning Sept. 1 and the second Dec. 15.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-retaliates-against-us-tariffs-130427545.html;_ylt=AwrE190M6l9dvHEApydx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--#
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline kidd

In 2017, US exports were $2350 billion. $75 billion is 3% of this.

This is a gesture

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
China's bark is worse than its bite.  They suck.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

China's bark is worse than its bite.

Midwestern farmers that sell soybeans and pork disagree.

Offline edpc

USTR Statement on Section 301 Tariff Action Regarding China

Washington, DC - Today, China announced it will impose unjustified tariffs targeting U.S. products.  In response to China’s decision, and in order to achieve the objectives of the China Section 301 investigation, President Trump has instructed the United States Trade Representative (USTR) to increase by 5% the tariffs on approximately $550 billion worth of Chinese imports.  For the 25% tariffs on approximately $250 billion worth of Chinese imports, USTR will begin the process of increasing the tariff rate to 30%, effective October 1 following a notice and comment period.  For the 10% tariffs on approximately $300 billion worth of Chinese imports that the President announced earlier this month, the tariffs will now be 15%, effective on the already scheduled dates for tariff increases on these imports.

https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/press-releases/2019/august/ustr-statement-section-301-tariff

Offline libertybele

Those that are seeing their 401k's, IRA's tank would also strongly disagree.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

bullshit.  you are out of touch.  but keep believing.

Online Wingnut

Those that are seeing their 401k's, IRA's tank would also strongly disagree.
  you are clueless.  uneducated and  a knee jerk trump hater.

Offline corbe

Don't be so modest @The Ghost
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

Don't be so modest @The Ghost

Don't bogart that joint @corbe

Offline corbe

Way too late for that advice @The Ghost
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

bullshit.  you are out of touch.  but keep believing.

Right. They are paying out billions in farm aid, because I am out of touch.    *****rollingeyes*****

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

China loses much more than we do.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,361257.msg1971147.html#msg1971147
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

But I left that person cursin', nursin' seven broken bones
And he only broke ah three of mine, that makes me the winner.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline edpc

BFD. The overall GDP doesn’t pay the mortgage or the loans on equipment for farmers. They want to sell their products, not get federal aid from the American taxpayers.

National Farmers Union condemns new tariffs: 'Trump is making things worse'

“Instead of looking to solve existing problems in our agricultural sector, this administration has just created new ones. Between burning bridges with all of our biggest trading partners and undermining our domestic biofuels industry, President Trump is making things worse, not better.”

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/trade/458641-national-farmers-union-condemns-new-tariffs-trump-is-making-things-worse

Offline Hoodat

Yet we still lose.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Those that are seeing their 401k's, IRA's tank Fluctuate up and down, would also strongly disagree. ought to think longer term.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Yet we still lose.
Everytime you purchase something you give up wealth.

You can twist that also to say you lose.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

You can twist that also to say you lose.

No, you exchange a store of wealth for actual wealth.  Money is not the end goal, it's simply a convenient way to facilitate trade without direct barter.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

No, you exchange a store of wealth for actual wealth.  Money is not the end goal, it's simply a convenient way to facilitate trade without direct barter.
Just to demonstrate how this can be twisted, when I pay my taxes, how is that 'actual wealth'?

Just to demonstrate how this can be twisted, when I pay my taxes, how is that 'actual wealth'?

That's being taxed, not making a purchase.

That's being taxed, not making a purchase.
From your own definition, I have a convenient way of storing wealth that is my money that is being used to pay my taxes.

If I did not transfer that to what you call 'actual wealth', then did my wealth go up or down after I paid my taxes?

Also, when I purchase a stock that goes down, did my 'actual wealth' stay the same or go down as well?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:07:17 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

From your own definition, I have a convenient way of storing wealth that is my money that is being used to pay my taxes.

If I did not transfer that to what you call 'actual wealth', then did my wealth go up or down after I paid my taxes?

Also, when I purchase a stock that goes down, did my 'actual wealth' stay the same or go down as well?

Obviously, when you are taxed, you lose wealth (or at least a potential claim on future wealth if you pay in cash).  But that's different from the statement that, "Everytime you purchase something you give up wealth".  If one properly understands trade, and assuming the trade is voluntary, the proper statement would be, "Every time you purchase something you gain wealth" since if you weren't better off from the trade you wouldn't make it in the first place.

If you purchase a stock that goes down, your actual wealth remains the same, just as it would if the stock went up.  Your potential wealth has changed, or at least it is likely to once you sell.

Offline Hoodat

Not true.  If I use $100,000 in cash to purchase a $100,000 house, my net worth remains the same.

The gist here is that the US should set policy based on what helps Americans - not on what hurts China, or Mexico, or Canada, or whomever.  Revenge politics is detrimental to our bottom line.  I really don't give a damn on how unrestricted trade policy is "unfair".  The bottom line is whether Americans benefit with zero regard on how it affects foreign countries.  And the bottom line here is that placing taxes on American consumers through tariffs hurts Americans.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Obviously, when you are taxed, you lose wealth .  .  .

Which is why I oppose tariffs since they force me to pay more for an item than I would have paid without the tariff.  And if you tax something, you get less of it.  Econ 101.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-