Author Topic: Governor under fire for letter asking supporters to ‘defend Texas’ from illegal immigration  (Read 911 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Marina Starleaf Riker Aug. 22, 2019

Days after a gunman opened fire at an El Paso Walmart and killed 22 people in the deadliest attack targeting Latinos in modern U.S. history, some Texans opened their mailboxes to find a fundraising letter from Gov. Greg Abbott’s campaign.

Dated Aug. 2, the day before the massacre, the letter began: “If we’re going to DEFEND Texas, we’ll need to take matters into our own hands.”

The letter asks for urgent donations so Abbott can fight illegal immigration, which he contends will cause a political and economic “disaster” if not stopped. He blames Democrats in Congress for refusing to tackle immigration reform and the media for failing to report on the “innocent young Americans” who are murdered by people who should’ve “never been in our country in the first place.”

The “ national Democrat machine” is trying to turn Texas blue, he said.

“Unless you and I want liberals to succeed in their plan to transform Texas — and our entire country — through illegal immigration, this is a message we MUST send,” the letter states.

Under normal circumstances, this is typical language in fundraising letters from GOP campaigns in recent years, several political experts said.

But some Texans say the letter has alarming connotations in the aftermath of the El Paso tragedy, an attack executed by a man accused of driving 10 hours to shoot Latinos. The Texas Democratic Party on Thursday denounced the letter as “racist, anti-Latino and anti-Immigrant,” saying Abbott’s toxic rhetoric was no different than President Donald Trump’s.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/local/article/Governor-s-fundraising-letter-asks-supporters-14371847.php

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Total and utter BS and another hit piece from the whore Cron
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I will never understand why anyone bothers to read the Houston Comicial these days.  I wouldn't line my birdcage with it for fear of polluting the minds of my birds.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

Yes, the Chronicle leans left, no doubt.
But, the headline is a bit misleading, as always.

This from the article, so they aren't 100% drinking the kool-aid here (well, maybe 80%):

Texas Republican analyst Adryana Aldeen, who immigrated to the U.S. from Mexico, agreed. She said she’s known Abbott for years; he’s married to a Latina; and she sees him as one of the most respected leaders in Texas.

“This is a regular fundraising letter that is focusing on defending Texas because that's the message of the governor,” Aldeen said, who blamed Democrats for failing to come to the table on immigration reform.

When asked about the most important problem facing both the state and country, the most common responses among Republicans are immigration and border security, said James Henson, director of the Texas Politics Project, which conducts the University of Texas/Texas Tribune polls.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I understand his concerns, and I share them, but as it sits today citizens of CA can legally migrate to TX.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline skeeter

I understand his concerns, and I share them, but as it sits today citizens of CA can legally migrate to TX.

CA was turned blue in the same manner - through immigration, illegal and otherwise.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:52:00 pm by skeeter »

Offline aligncare

CA was turned blue in the same manner - through immigration, illegal and otherwise.

And they did it all while the California Republican Party slept through the silent invasion. Political activists built their coalitions and organized their radical base in preparation for their power grab right under their noses.

They were quite effective. So successful were they in transforming Sacramento, that now the only place you can see a California Republican is a picture on the Fish and Wildlife Service endangered species list.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Exactly what is the alternative the Chron is proposing if we do not protect out state from invaders?

Let them take it over?

If it was me, there would be armed troops at the border ready to shoot any who should not be here, just like I would do if my own house was broken into.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:57:04 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Victoria33

@The Ghost

Church friend Ghost, until 1995 when they went out of business, The Houston Post was my newspaper of choice.  They were much more conservative then the Chronicle.  There was a writer at the Post who covered Houston sport teams, football, baseball, etc.  One day I sent him a message (psychological in nature) about a football player.  He put that in his article and started sending me sport material asking me for comments.  I became a "regular"  in his articles.

He was still there writing in 1995 when the paper closed.  I wished at the time it was the
Chronicle that folded, not the Post.

Offline Victoria33

@The Ghost

Governor Abbott, in his wheelchair, can outrun any Democrat.

When he was Texas Attorney General, he hired Ted Cruz to be his main litigator.  It was Cruz who took cases to the US Supreme Court and he won most of them.  One was to keep the Ten Commandments in stone on the grounds of the legislature and he won that, the Ten Commandments are still there.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A lot of people into gun control also want open borders.  IOW, liberals.

Open borders kills many more people than mass shootings, not to understate how serious mass shootings are but a proper perspective is needed.

Open borders has anyone who can do it coming in illegally and a lot of drugs too, that harm Americans, if not kill them.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Growing up, my folks subscribed to both the Post and the Chronicle. When I went on my own I only subscribed to the Post, which is now sorely missed.

Was that Sports writer Dale Robertson? I thoroughly enjoyed his column, except for one year,  he wrote about the very spot I had been hunting in the Crockett National Forest. That opening weekend there were so many yahoos in the woods, I never went back.

Now thinking back, it wasn't Robertson, it was Joe Doggett that did it.

Offline aligncare

Growing up, my folks subscribed to both the Post and the Chronicle. When I went on my own I only subscribed to the Post, which is now sorely missed.

Was that Sports writer Dale Robertson? I thoroughly enjoyed his column, except for one year,  he wrote about the very spot I had been hunting in the Crockett National Forest. That opening weekend there were so many yahoos in the woods, I never went back.

Doggett did it. There’s a song in that somewhere.

Offline GrouchoTex

@Victoria33
@Elderberry

I used to deliver the Houston Post.
I did it for about 6 months.
My route was south of the Gulfgate mall area.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

When Bob Brister and Joe Doggett covered fishing and hunting for the Comical you saw a steady diet of photos taken of deer that had been harvested many years previously and the same with fish.  I would bet money that most of the actualy writing was also plagerized.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien