Author Topic: Today in Austin:  (Read 367 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Today in Austin:
« on: August 23, 2019, 02:21:18 am »
Email by Alice Tripp 8/22/2019
Legislative Director
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA state affiliate
100 yrs and growing

I wanted to provide information about today's meeting, since the press and others, as usual, are creating their own reality regarding Governor Abbott's first Round Table discussion after El Paso and TSRA's involvement.

Round Table discussions are just that, discussions; and the goal is discovering what existing laws are on the books that are not being fully utilized, or completely disregarded and might have impacted the murder of innocent Texans.

Today's Round Table was the similar to the one I attended last summer with the exception of the entire El Paso delegation being present. This group led off asking questions of the person representing TSRA, Mike Cox.

Mike has been a member of our Legislative Committee for many years, he was a former Republican Co. chairman, a gubernatorial appointee for School Safety Center, and the instructor who presents the LTC program within the Capitol.   He is well known, well informed, well liked, and well respected.

Mike is in every way a professional and about as pro-gun and conservative as you can get.

At today's Round Table the El Paso delegation asked Mike about changes to Texas gun laws.   I'll leave the list and details to Mike but his answer was NO, NO, and NO.     You see this delegation had filed many anti-gun bills, which were fought down during session. 

Mike Cox has the logic and complete understanding of why new law is not required.   This country, this state has mountains of existing gun law being ignored or under prosecuted. 

In closing, know that Mike Cox is now the Legislative Director of TSRA.   My retirement is scheduled for August 31st.

It's been 11 sessions and 21 years.   I am first of all a gun owner, collector, and a hunter.   I have a gun for every task including personal protection. 

It's been my pleasure to serve.

You will hear more about the Round Table discussions from Mike and remember, this is an information gathering process, there is no special session. 

The next scheduled Round Table will be held in El Paso.

TSRA is honored, as always, to have a place at the table to off-set Texas Gun Sense .

Tell Your US Senators and Congressmen No New Gun Control Laws