Author Topic: Gillette ‘Shifting The Spotlight’ After Losing $8 Billion Amid ‘Toxic Masculinity’ Backlash  (Read 825 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Just a few weeks after Procter & Gamble reported a sobering $8 billion writedown, Gillette has officially called off its war on "toxic masculinity." The embattled brand has announced that it is now "shifting the spotlight from social issues to local heroes."

While the brand is admitting that it's reversing course on the social issues messaging, Gillette is presenting its new focus as simply a return to what it's always done. "We will continue to represent men at their best," Gillette said in a statement reported by News Corp Australia. Instead of the "social issues" focus, the brand will begin to highlight positive portrayals of "heroic" masculinity, as seen in its new ad starring Ben Ziekenheiner, an Australian firefighter and personal trainer.

Gillette's "toxic masculinity" mess began in January when the brand released an ad accusing men of "excusing bad behavior" and portraying traditional masculinity in an entirely negative and stereotypical light....

https://www.dailywire.com/news/50918/gillette-shifting-spotlight-after-losing-8-billion-james-barrett?%3Futm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwtwitter

*****rollingeyes*****

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I would like to know if the person who "blue lighted" that ad is still working for Gillette?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

Gillette lost me as a customer. This is just, "Oh, crap! We @#$%ed up!" Not, "We were stupid and wrong."
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Gillette lost me as a customer. This is just, "Oh, crap! We @#$%ed up!" Not, "We were stupid and wrong."

Yes, same here.

Offline verga

Well since I have a beard and don't use a razor...they lost vergette, who shaves her legs.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
People are creatures of habit. When they change habits, it takes a lot to get them to change back.
When they change for a reason, they might find something better.

Gillette shaved off 'the hair that bleeds'.

Recovery will take a long time.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Consumer product companies get PC or political at their peril.   May this fiasco be a lesson. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Slide Rule

Consumer product companies get PC or political at their peril.   May this fiasco be a lesson.

A lesson?

Nope.

Gillette was caught like a deer in headlights. The ads were intended to punish.
Learn anything? I highly doubt it. They believe this stuff and will retrench
again before the election.

It's been a long time since they sponsored Friday Night Fights and said those
words, Gillette Blue Blades.

Something from the used to be. P&G should sell this dog.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
People are creatures of habit. When they change habits, it takes a lot to get them to change back.
When they change for a reason, they might find something better.

Gillette shaved off 'the hair that bleeds'.

Recovery will take a long time.

This prompted me to sign up with Harry's, and I like the convenience.  So...Gillette has lost me for good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This prompted me to sign up with Harry's, and I like the convenience.  So...Gillette has lost me for good.

I was thinking of switching to Harry's from Dollar Shave Club since they were bought by a foreign company.  But I like their stuff and I hate change.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

Next quarter: heads rolling, cue the groveling apology by the new CEO...

All for naught...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I now peruse the shaving aisles for anything which does not say Gillette.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Gillette ‘Shifting The Spotlight’ After Losing $8 Billion Amid ‘Toxic Masculinity’ Backlash"

What are they "shifting" the "spotlight" at?
A dismal future of reduced earnings...?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"Get Woke, Go brokke."

Or the oncustomer is the one "stakeholder to NOT take for granted with their intended SJW "lessons."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln