Author Topic: Yellowstone 'supervolcano' eruption would be catastrophic, NYT op-ed says  (Read 929 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Yellowstone 'supervolcano' eruption would be catastrophic, NYT op-ed says
By Brie Stimson | Fox News

The eruption of a “supervolcano” underneath Yellowstone National Park would be like nothing humanity has ever seen, according to an op-ed from The New York Times.

There are 20 supervolcanoes on Earth that represent that greatest natural threat to human life, writes 'End Times' author Bryan Walsh.

The Yellowstone supervolcano is an eight out of eight on the Volcanic Explosivity Index but has only erupted three times in the last 2.1 million years. The last eruption was 640,000 years ago.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/science/yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption-would-be-like-nothing-humanity-has-ever-seen-nyt-op-ed

Bill Cipher

So, is it threatening to erupt any time soon?

Offline dfwgator

Wherever I go I hope there's rum!

Offline Joe Wooten

Offline rustynail

Then what?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And, then again, it could not explode, or it could explode and be non-catastrophic.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My father grew up near the Wyoming-Montana border, east of Yellostone Park.

I have been there many times. The area is sparsely populated, so if an eruption did take place, the closeby life  losses would be relatively small.

There is a big push to sell parcels on the Shoshone River west of Cody going up the canyon to the park.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline berdie

It could happen or it could not happen any time soon.

Heck, I could walk out to check the mail and get hit by a Fed Ex truck...or not.

Offline Joe Wooten

I have been there many times. The area is sparsely populated, so if an eruption did take place, the closeby life  losses would be relatively small.

There is a big push to sell parcels on the Shoshone River west of Cody going up the canyon to the park.

Maybe it will explode when all the Glitterati who have paces in Jackson Hole are there for vacations...... :yowsa:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Who knows what the population will be like when it erupts again, maybe in a couple of thousand years, but the USGS expects it to affect four states with pyroclastic flows and the entire Earth with ash and it's cooling effects. https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-would-happen-if-a-supervolcano-eruption-occurred-again-yellowstone?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

Irregardless, this is just the current 'OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE' fear mongering stories in the cycle of globull warming, flooding, earthquake, superstorm, asteroid strike, etc.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:46:50 pm by GtHawk »