Author Topic: Trump says administration looking 'seriously' at ending birthright citizenship  (Read 3935 times)

Offline thackney

Trump says administration looking 'seriously' at ending birthright citizenship
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458276-trump-says-administration-looking-seriously-at-ending-birthright
 08/21/19

Trump says administration looking 'seriously' at ending birthright citizenship
© Getty Images
President Trump on Wednesday said his administration is once again seriously considering an executive order to end birthright citizenship months after several lawmakers cast doubt on his ability to take such action.

"We're looking at that very seriously," Trump told reporters as he left the White House for Kentucky. "Birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land — walk over the border, have a baby, congratulations, the baby's now a U.S. citizen."

"We are looking at birthright citizenship very seriously," he added. "It’s, frankly, ridiculous."

The president proposed ending the practice that grants citizenship to those born in the United States during his 2016 presidential campaign. He revived the idea last year, saying he would sign an executive order to enact the change.

Numerous lawmakers, including several Republicans, quickly pushed back on the idea and argued Trump lacked the authority to make such a change using an executive order. They cited that birthright citizenship is a right enshrined under the 14th Amendment....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Absalom

Suspect Plasterers and Painters will have plenty of restoration work
to do in the WH, given all the crap Trumpet throws against the walls.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
There is only one form of birthright citizenship in the USA and that is of those born in the country to parents who are themselves citizens.

https://www.14thamendment.us/birthright_citizenship/original_intent.html
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Suspect Plasterers and Painters will have plenty of restoration work
to do in the WH, given all the crap Trumpet throws against the walls.

We know you have a serious problem with Trump, but do you have an opinion about birthright citizenship?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I hope this is possible.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I hope this is possible.

Me too!  It is being abused by many countries and is a cottage industry for China and others.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline verga

Enough is enough.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Enough is enough.

:yowsa: It has gone well beyond enough IMHO.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Well, then, just DO it.
It SHOULD HAVE been done in early 2017.

But in any case, do what you have to do, and then "see it through" the court fight to follow, "all the way to the top".

It's about time we FORCED the Supreme Court to rule definitively on this issue.

Bill Cipher

So Trump is going to amend the Constitution? 

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
There is only one form of birthright citizenship in the USA and that is of those born in the country to parents who are themselves citizens.

888high58888

Offline libertybele

:shrug:  Certainly by now he realizes that this would take an amendment to the Constitution and certainly by now he realizes that  an amendment would be highly unlikely.  Right?

Trump again says he is 'very seriously' looking to end birthright citizenship

Eight months after first raising the idea, President Trump on Wednesday said his administration is again “very seriously” looking into ending the practice of conferring U.S. citizenship on anyone born in the United States.

“We’re looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby — congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen,” Trump told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House. “It’s frankly ridiculous.”

In October, on the eve of the 2018 midterm elections, Trump said he believed he could end birthright citizenship by executive order, claiming it was not part of the U.S. Constitution, and predicting the question would ultimately be settled by the Supreme Court.

The legal consensus is that birthright citizenship is guaranteed by the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. It reads: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States.”.........

“You cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order,” then-House Speaker Paul Ryan said at the time. “As a conservative, I’m a believer of following the plain text of the Constitution. And I think in this case the 14th Amendment’s pretty clear.”.........

.........Trump also falsely claimed that the United States is the “only country in the world” to follow the practice when, in fact, more than 30 countries grant citizenship to anyone born within their borders..............

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-very-seriously-end-birthright-citizenship-193525289.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So Trump is going to amend the Constitution?
Activist Judges  do it all the time.  What is right  what is wrong.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Bill Cipher

Activist Judges  do it all the time.  What is right  what is wrong.

Yeah.  Right.  So now you’re simply going to throw out the Constitution because it’s Trump who’s involved.  How very conservative of you. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Yeah.  Right.  So now you’re simply going to throw out the Constitution because it’s Trump who’s involved.  How very conservative of you.
You travel on one way, don't you?

Where in the Constitution is the birthright privilege written?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Bill Cipher

You travel on one way, don't you?

/snicker

There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

We could start this by looking at the 14th Amendment, Section 1.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The first sentence, at first blush seems pretty clear that the act of being born makes one a Citizen.  The tricky part I've seen examined elsewhere is underlined.  Is a person here illegally "subject to the jurisdiction thereof?"  The context I saw it in was in reference to infants of Diplomats from other countries being specifically not within the jurisdiction of the US.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

The first sentence, at first blush seems pretty clear that the act of being born makes one a Citizen.  The tricky part I've seen examined elsewhere is underlined.  Is a person here illegally "subject to the jurisdiction thereof?"  The context I saw it in was in reference to infants of Diplomats from other countries being specifically not within the jurisdiction of the US.

The United States did not limit immigration in 1868 when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified. Thus there were, by definition, no illegal immigrants and the issue of citizenship for children of those here in violation of the law was nonexistent. Granting of automatic citizenship to children of illegal alien mothers is a recent and totally inadvertent and unforeseen result of the amendment and the Reconstructionist period in which it was ratified.

Post-Civil War reforms focused on injustices to African Americans. The 14th Amendment was ratified in 1868 to protect the rights of native-born Black Americans, whose rights were being denied as recently-freed slaves. It was written in a manner so as to prevent state governments from ever denying citizenship to blacks born in the United States. But in 1868, the United States had no formal immigration policy, and the authors therefore saw no need to address immigration explicitly in the amendment.

Senator Jacob Howard worked closely with Abraham Lincoln in drafting and passing the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which abolished slavery. He also served on the Senate Joint Committee on Reconstruction, which drafted the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. In 1866, Senator Jacob Howard clearly spelled out the intent of the 14th Amendment by stating:

"Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country."

This understanding was reaffirmed by Senator Edward Cowan, who stated:

"[A foreigner in the United States] has a right to the protection of the laws; but he is not a citizen in the ordinary acceptance of the word..."

The phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" was intended to exclude American-born persons from automatic citizenship whose allegiance to the United States was not complete. With illegal aliens who are unlawfully in the United States, their native country has a claim of allegiance on the child. Thus, the completeness of their allegiance to the United States is impaired, which therefore precludes automatic citizenship.

From the link I posted on this thread earlier today @Cyber Liberty.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Thank Yew, @Bigun!  I didn't see your post, it was quite some time ago I read about the argument!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Thank Yew, @Bigun!  I didn't see your post, it was quite some time ago I read about the argument!

Yew are most welcome @Cyber Liberty.  Be sure to read what the two senators quoted above said very carefully.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 03:13:41 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

To me, the "and" makes it clear that just being born here is not enough.  Otherwise they'd have said "or".

Is a person here illegally "subject to the jurisdiction thereof?"  No.  They are citizens of their home country, as is their child.  If that were not true, then the US govt could not require its citizens to pay taxes even if they live and work abroad.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
In before @Jazzhead has time to do the emotional plea of "but what about all those illegals that have already done it, what will happen to them?"...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline verga

@Bigun, thank you I missed this as well.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

In before @Jazzhead has time to do the emotional plea of "but what about all those illegals that have already done it, what will happen to them?"...
Simple, send them packing.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald