General Category > Politics/Government

Liz Cheney calls on Trump to reject peace deal offer in Afghanistan

(1/7) > >>

corbe:
Liz Cheney calls on Trump to reject peace deal offer in Afghanistan

by Susan Ferrechio

August 21, 2019 09:34 AM

Rep. Liz Cheney called on President Trump to reject a peace deal with the Taliban in Afghanistan, arguing in an op-ed that it would be tantamount to losing the war to al Qaeda, the Taliban and the Islamic State.

“We should not withdraw U.S. forces based on a political timetable that grants concessions to the Taliban and allows the terrorists to maintain safe havens from which they can plan and train for future attacks in the West,” the representative from Wyoming, and daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, wrote in the Washington Post.

The Trump Administration is negotiating the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, where they have been fighting a war since 2001, when her father served with President George W. Bush and the two were responding to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks that were orchestrated by Afghanistan-based al Qaeda.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/liz-cheney-calls-on-trump-to-reject-peace-deal-offer-in-afghanistan

Sanguine:
And, staying there for 20 years and sending men and women over there to bleed for us is "winning the war"?

txradioguy:
I've never understood why we're negotiating with the Taliban.  That's like Israel trying to negotiate for peace with the Muslim Brotherhood.

txradioguy:

--- Quote from: Sanguine on August 21, 2019, 02:17:31 pm ---And, staying there for 20 years and sending men and women over there to bleed for us is "winning the war"?

--- End quote ---

We haven't really tried to win anything there.  If we would actually use the full force of our military...there wouldn't be a Taliban to negotiate with.

Sanguine:

--- Quote from: txradioguy on August 21, 2019, 02:31:03 pm ---We haven't really tried to win anything there.  If we would actually use the full force of our military...there wouldn't be a Taliban to negotiate with.

--- End quote ---

I dunno, TRG.  I tend to fall back on Winston Churchill's opinion here:

--- Quote --- “Financially it is ruinous. Morally it is wicked. Militarily it is an open question, and politically it is a blunder.”
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version