General Category > Politics/Government

Trump postpones meeting with Denmark's leader over Greenland comments

(1/8) > >>

mystery-ak:
By Brett Samuels and Brandon Conradis - 08/20/19 07:58 PM EDT

© Getty Images

President Trump on Tuesday announced he was postponing a planned meeting with the prime minister of Denmark after she shot down his talk of possibly purchasing Greenland, an autonomous Danish territory.

"Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time," Trump tweeted.

"The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future!" he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458179-trump-says-hes-postponing-meeting-with-denmarks-leader-over-greenland

skeeter:
I fully accept that buying Greenland could be a good thing for the US but I don’t understand this at all.

TomSea:
After the bust of Russia in selling Alaska, it just doesn't seem prudent, that Denmark, a small country would ever sell Greenland. Who knows what the future may be? Perhaps, it will be more inhabited in the future. One would really have to pay a very handsome amount for it and I have no idea.

corbe:
Trump cancels Denmark trip after PM says Greenland isn't for sale

Dareh Gregorian

1 hr ago

President Donald Trump is calling off an upcoming trip to Denmark after its prime minister rebuffed his interest in buying Greenland, a Danish territory, the White House announced on Tuesday.

"Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time," Trump tweeted.

Trump was invited on an official state visit by the Queen of Denmark. White House Deputy Press Secretary Judd Deere confirmed later on Tuesday the entire trip was off.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-cancels-denmark-trip-after-pm-says-greenland-isnt-for-sale/ar-AAG5gX0?ocid=ientp

Absalom:

--- Quote from: TomSea on August 21, 2019, 12:46:07 am ---After the bust of Russia in selling Alaska, it just doesn't seem prudent, that Denmark, a small country would ever sell Greenland. Who knows what the future may be? Perhaps, it will be more inhabited in the future. One would really have to pay a very handsome amount for it and I have no idea.

--- End quote ---
------------------------------------------------
Can we get real for a moment?
Greenland's land mass is 835,000 sq. mi. and is rich in energy resources, as geologists have proven.
Denmark's land mass is 17,000 sq. mi. while it burns its limited coal and imports LNG.
Additionally, Greenland has become increasingly autonomous this century alone
while Denmark has neither the financial resources nor engineering expertise to exploit those resources.
Betting here is that the Danes are NOT the deciders in this matter!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version