Author Topic: Trump called NRA chief to tell him universal background checks are off the table: report  (Read 1510 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump called NRA chief to tell him universal background checks are off the table: report
By Chris Mills Rodrigo - 08/20/19 06:04 PM EDT

President Trump called National Rifle Association (NRA) CEO Wayne LaPierre on Tuesday to tell him that universal background checks for gun purchases are off the table, The Atlantic reported.

The decision to oppose an initiative that has strong support in public polling signals an apparent backtracking by the president from initial comments he made following two mass shootings earlier this month in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, that left 31 dead.

Trump at the time indicated support for legislation on “meaningful background checks,” saying the issue was not a question of the NRA or political partisanship.

“On background checks, we have tremendous support for really common-sense, sensible, important background checks,” Trump told reporters on Aug. 9 following the shootings.

However, Trump reportedly no longer supports the initiative.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458169-trump-called-nra-chief-to-tell-him-universal-background-checks-are
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A good start toward reelection, if true. Now keep an eye on the other hand....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

This is one time that I actually am glad that he backpedaled, but like you say ... keep an eye on the other hand.  I'm hoping that his staunch supporters are holding his feet to the fire and telling him to keep his hands off the 2A.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Good.  Expanded background checks are a bandaid in search of a wound that doesn't exist.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

That's right.

Hegelian dialectic...

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Bad move.  Most gun sales require background checks;  there's no reason not to close the loophole for private sales. 

If the gun lobby were smart, it would offer to trade agreement on sensible stuff like background checks in exchange for concealed carry reciprocity.    That's how "compromise" is typically effected in D.C. -  I get something that I want in exchange for you getting something that you want.   No problem with that in situations where, as here, taxpayers aren't getting screwed.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

Bad move.  Most gun sales require background checks;  there's no reason not to close the loophole for private sales. 

That is NOT true.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39

If I want to sell my .45 ACP 1911 to my 21 year old son for $100.  Why should I be forced to go to a gun store and have them do a NICS check on him that will cost him at least $125?

The "loophole" is a myth created by the anti gun left and mindlessly repeated by people like you ad nauseam.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline roamer_1

I will not comply. And I doubt many others will either.

What Uncle don't know can't hurt you.

Offline thackney

If I want to sell my .45 ACP 1911 to my 21 year old son for $100.  Why should I be forced to go to a gun store and have them do a NICS check on him that will cost him at least $125?

The "loophole" is a myth created by the anti gun left and mindlessly repeated by people like you ad nauseam.

I do not support universal background checks.  I do not support requiring NICS checks for private sales.

That said, if you are paying $125, you are paying WAY TOO much.

I get this service for an internet purchase for $20.

https://www.primaryarms.com/in-store-pickup

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

Trump wants stronger background checks, then he doesn't, then he does.

Trump wants payroll tax cuts, then he doesn't, the he does.

Constant mind changing, hedging, dodging, drama, will he or won't he, tune in again tomorrow. 

Am I the only one tired of this dam reality tv show and wish it were canceled?
'

Offline roamer_1

Am I the only one tired of this dam reality tv show and wish it were canceled?
'

I have been tired of it since before it even started.   :whistle:

Offline GrouchoTex

Interesting that they want background checks for legal gun ownership, but don't seem too concerned about requiring them for illegal entry into the country.
Photo i.d. required to buy firearms, but not to vote.

Screwed up system we have here.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Interesting that they want background checks for legal gun ownership, but don't seem too concerned about requiring them for illegal entry into the country.
Photo i.d. required to buy firearms, but not to vote.

Screwed up system we have here.

Extremely screwed up.  Especially when you think about how these new restrictions that people want to apply takes away or severely limits a persons ability to defend themselves from the illegals that the gun control folks want to let just walk right in.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Extremely screwed up.  Especially when you think about how these new restrictions that people want to apply takes away or severely limits a persons ability to defend themselves from the illegals that the gun control folks want to let just walk right in.
It's more insidious than that.

TO obtain a firearm I have to produce photo ID and be subjected to a background check (or have been subjected to one). I have to fill out paperwork, under penalty of perjury for wrong answers, to obtain the firearm. At most, well used, for good or evil, that firearm might be the tool to take a few lives.

Yet the same people who assert a host of restrictions on that firearm is good, consider the idea of producing a photo ID to vote to be "racist" and a host of other evil things.

Problem is, while a firearm can be used kill individuals in the wrong hands, the vote can be used to kill a country.

Yep, a screwed up system indeed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mrclose

Bad move.  Most gun sales require background checks; there's no reason not to close the loophole for private sales. 

There is a very good reason!
Any law that is passed by the Government on gun ownership is an infringement and UNCONSTITUTIONAL!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mrclose

Yes, I said ... ANY law!  :yowsa:
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self