Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez: The Electoral College Is a ‘Scam’  (Read 848 times)

Online libertybele

Ocasio-Cortez: The Electoral College Is a ‘Scam’
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:50:57 pm »
The electoral process is outlined in the Constitution; perhaps she should actually read it before she makes such ridiculous claims.  Sad thing is; liberals believe her.  I wonder if she'll be of the same opinion once Hispanics outnumber Whites in a few years?

Ocasio-Cortez: The Electoral College Is a ‘Scam’

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.) on Monday called the U.S. Electoral College “a scam” that negatively affects minorities.

“We’re coming to you live from the Electoral College,” the New York Democrat said in a video on Instagram, which featured her driving along a sparsely populated highway in what appears to be a desert somewhere in the western part of the country. “Many votes here, as you can see. Very efficient way to choose leadership of the country. I mean I can’t think of any other way, can you?”

The freshman congresswoman went on to cite a New York magazine story titled, “Here’s Every Defense of the Electoral College — and Why They’re All Wrong.”.....

......“Due to severe racial disparities in certain states, the Electoral College effectively weighs white voters over voters of color, as opposed to a ‘one person, one vote’ system where all our votes are counted equally,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “Could you imagine if we had this kind of democracy-altering ‘fairness’ provision for literally any other group? If we weighed, for example, black and indigenous voters more because of unfairness?”

“Facts are facts America,” said the 29-year-old progressive, who represents parts of the Bronx and Queens. “The Electoral College has to go.”.............

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ocasio-cortez-electoral-college-scam-193639269.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

Re: Ocasio-Cortez: The Electoral College Is a ‘Scam’
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:02:36 pm »
“Facts are facts America,” said the 29-year-old progressive  ...
who has never accepted any actual fact.
Someone tell her the electoral college allows transgendered to compete on its women's swimming team, maybe she'll approve of it then.  happy77
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:07:55 pm »
If only boobs were brains, Sandy-O, the bartender from the Bronx would be.... oh hell she'd still be doing Stoop bongs and Jello shots...
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 10:27:37 pm »
The owners of those fields feed that arrogantly ignorant (Brit T-Word). And the Electoral College was designed to hinder city-twits and -tw%&s from exploiting and oppressing the people who feed them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:28:18 pm »
....“Due to severe racial disparities in certain states, the Electoral College effectively weighs white voters over voters of color, as opposed to a ‘one person, one vote’ system where all our votes are counted equally,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “Could you imagine if we had this kind of democracy-altering ‘fairness’ provision for literally any other group? If we weighed, for example, black and indigenous voters more because of unfairness?”

...ah....I guess she hasn't heard of Illinois and how Chicago decides our Prez candidate..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:33:48 pm »
It sounds like she thinks there aren't enough farmers of color to sway the rural vote.  I guess that cotton thing scarred them for generations.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 12:47:03 am »
Wow is she full of shit.  There’s enough manure there to fertilize your average farm. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 12:52:36 am »
The bartender's dishonesty is second only to her stupidity.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 01:45:28 pm »
Guess What System AOC Is Now Calling Racist
Beth Baumann

@eb454
|
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 10:10 PM

Progressive darling Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) has made it very clear that she doesn't like America as is. She has radical ideas that would dramatically change America, down to our very core. She's stated she wants to abolish Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). She wants to abolish the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). And now, she wants to abolish the Electoral College, the very system that was put in place to protect rural Americans from being outvoted by larger, more populous states.

On Monday, AOC posted an Instagram Live video explaining why she believes the Electoral College is a "scam."

"We're coming to you live from the Electoral College," Ocasio-Cortez said as she recorded an empty desert highway. "Many votes here as you can see. Very efficient way to choose leadership of the country. I mean, I can't think of any other way, can you?"

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/08/20/aoc-wants-to-abolish-a-system-that-protects-rural-americans-n2551989
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 02:02:42 pm »
Communists, like AOC, think that elections are "Bourgeois", and that they have a mandate from the "Masses" (whoever the Hell they are)

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 02:13:27 pm »
I don't know what sort of straw man arguments New York Magazine set up for the Electoral College (the better to knock them down).

I am rather certain that they did not employ the only one that matters: the purpose of the Electoral College is and was to prevent our constitutional republic from devolving into a majoritarian democracy dominated by high-density urban populations, at the expense of large, more sparsely-populated states upon whose freedom and economic vitality those concentrated populations otherwise depend.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 02:15:39 pm »
I don't know what sort of straw man arguments New York Magazine set up for the Electoral College (the better to knock them down).

I am rather certain that they did not employ the only one that matters: the purpose of the Electoral College is and was to prevent our constitutional republic from devolving into a majoritarian democracy dominated by high-density urban populations, at the expense of large, more sparsely-populated states upon whose freedom and economic vitality those concentrated populations otherwise depend.

A small-d democrat will tell you the sparsely-populated states don't deserve protection, because they are sparsely populated. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 02:25:21 pm »
A small-d democrat will tell you the sparsely-populated states don't deserve protection, because they are sparsely populated.

Except that such states also provide a hugely disproportionate share of the food and energy upon which urban elites depend. Otherwise, how would they be able to continue stuffing their faces in insanely expensive restaurants, while mocking and insulting ordinary Americans?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 02:29:11 pm »
Except that such states also provide a hugely disproportionate share of the food and energy upon which urban elites depend. Otherwise, how would they be able to continue stuffing their faces in insanely expensive restaurants, while mocking and insulting ordinary Americans?

You speak with the voice of the Founders....kudos!  An example of why we small-r republicans understand that small-d democrats are willing to plunder.
I will NOT comply.

Offline verga

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 03:23:21 pm »
I am back to thinking her main job is to make Biden look smarter.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 05:45:15 pm »

If anyone could pull that mighty task off it would be Sandy-o, the bartendress from the Bronx.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:58:59 pm by The Ghost »

Online berdie

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 08:31:41 pm »
Well, I was wondering where Always Occasionally Crazy had been....why she had been so quiet.

I thought maybe she had her feelings hurt because the other two kooks were getting so much attention.

Oh well, another hope dashed.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 10:22:30 pm »
I am heartened by the quality of the comments in Yahoo. What is lost on AOC and others is the EC is only one part of how we govern ourselves under a "representative republic". We are not a "democracy."

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 02:13:47 am »

It's working.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 02:18:34 am »
I am heartened by the quality of the comments in Yahoo. What is lost on AOC and others is the EC is only one part of how we govern ourselves under a "representative republic". We are not a "democracy."

Only 1 of 1,000 things she has wrong about the Constitution.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 01:22:10 pm »

I've heard that directly from a leftist before.
I said "Why would you want only the top 10 population centers in the US picking the President every 4 years?"
The answer was,"Why not, if that is where the people live?"

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 01:31:31 pm »
Democrats only worry about the "tyranny of the majority" when they aren't in the majority. I'd like to think that we conservatives worry about the "tyranny of the majority" all of the time.

O/T, but my BIL made it a point to remind me that I changed his mind about the EC last year. After hearing my arguments for the EC, he saw the light. I basically posited the same arguments we see on TBR.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 08:11:47 pm »