Author Topic: Florida Man Lost His 2A Rights, Thanks To Red Flag Laws And Mistaken Identity  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Why do you accuse me of advocating a position because it will "benefit lawyers' pocketbooks"?   Are you incapable of conducting a discussion in good faith?

:happyhappy:

Look who's talking!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
It is better than taking no action and letting a dangerous individual keep his firearms and bring them to bear to shoot up a family or school.

That's different than the case we're talking about here.  There was no imminent danger no one was going to be harmed.

And has been pointed out since you decided to bring TRO's to a Red Flag discussion these kinds of restraining orders are abused on a regular basis with false accusations and allegations just because someone doesn't like someone else.

And here you are...defending the abuses...justifying a "delay" of due process as a "necessary evil".   

BTW...who gets to determine how long my 4th Amendment rights are "delayed"?

The world is not perfect.  Sometimes, in an emergency,  you have to diffuse the situation first,  and sort it all out later. 

That's a line used in every cop show on tv...right before the judge tosses the case because the defendants due process rights were "delayed".

Bravo.

I continue to be surprised at the reflexive opposition to red flag laws.   Among the "gun control" measures being currently touted,  they alone are directed at the nut who fires the gun, not just guns in general.   The old saw is that guns don't kill people, people kill people.   Well,  fine - but then you resist even measures targeted at the people who kill people,  just because they involve the precious subject of guns.

It's not reflexive counselor...it's a group of people here who have a better grasp of the Second Amendment than you do.  It doesn't take a JD to understand what is Constitutional and what isn't.

"tis much more Prudence to acquit two Persons, tho’ actually guilty, than to pass Sentence of Condemnation on one that is virtuous and innocent." - Voltaire

You want to punish the masses the millions of legal gun owners to stop what?  Less than 1 percent of the population who might do something wrong with a gun?

Tell me counselor...how do any of these laws or limitations on my right to keep and bear arms do anything al all to stop criminals from using guns?  How would they have prevented that six time convicted felon drug dealer in Philly from shooting six cops.

Answer me that.

Selfishness, pure selfishness.   

On your part...yes it most certainly is.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

I continue to be surprised at the reflexive opposition to red flag laws.   Among the "gun control" measures being currently touted,  they alone are directed at the nut who fires the gun, not just guns in general.   The old saw is that guns don't kill people, people kill people.   Well,  fine - but then you resist even measures targeted at the people who kill people,  just because they involve the precious subject of guns. 

No they are not @Jazzhead , they are pointed at guns too with even more specificity, leaving the nutcase free as a bird.

And then all you need to do is control the decider - Who it is that determines the danger - and then suddenly rubber-stamped confiscation is a reality.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:50:17 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline verga

I try not the read your drivel but his requires a direct response, because you are a special kind of stupid.
Every single state (Read: EVERY SINGLE STATE) has involuntary confinement laws, do you understand that EVERY state. There is no need for a federal law of any kind. Combine those with your precious TRO's and life is good. It is not responsible gun owners fault if other people are too chicken shit to use them and we should not be punished for their cowardice. So for once do the smart thing and shit down and STFU.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It is better than taking no action and letting a dangerous individual keep his firearms and bring them to bear to shoot up a family or school.   

The world is not perfect.  Sometimes, in an emergency,  you have to diffuse the situation first,  and sort it all out later.   

You seem to be missing that posting any threat to engage in such nefarious acts is a crime in and of itself.
Making credible threats to engage in such mayhem is a crime. Conspiring with anyone else to do so is a crime.
QED, you have the means to stop such maniacs, who are telegraphing their intent via the internet and other means--and are being stopped using current law.

Looking at the recent events, and even now, the interdiction of such proclaimed intent to engage in such activity, without red flag laws, indicates that current laws are indeed adequate to the task if used.
Opening any Civil Right up to loss on the standard that someone says they think someone MIGHT maybe do something, is to eviscerate that right based on nothing more than gossip.
If someone once found a picture of you in your childhood wearing anything which might have indicated a sympathy (maybe a souvenir kepi or a t-shirt with a Confederate Battle Flag on it) toward the South during the Civil War, by today's standards, that would indicate racist sympathies, and you could be muzzled pending a hearing (at your expense) on whether or not you were going to engage in hate speech--after they took your keyboard away and injected botox into your vocal cords to keep you from saying racist things.

Essentially, that is how red flag laws treat gun owners.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:14:57 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You seem to be missing that posting any threat to engage in such nefarious acts is a crime in and of itself.
Making credible threats to engage in such mayhem is a crime. Conspiring with anyone else to do so is a crime.
QED, you have the means to stop such maniacs, who are telegraphing their intent via the internet and other means--and are being stopped using current law.

Looking at the recent events, and even now, the interdiction of such proclaimed intent to engage in such activity, without red flag laws, indicates that current laws are indeed adequate to the task if used.
Opening any Civil Right up to loss on the standard that someone says they think someone MIGHT maybe do something, is to eviscerate that right based on nothing more than gossip.
If someone once found a picture of you in your childhood wearing anything which might have indicated a sympathy (maybe a souvenir kepi or a t-shirt with a Confederate Battle Flag on it) toward the South during the Civil War, by today's standards, that would indicate racist sympathies, and you could be muzzled pending a hearing (at your expense) on whether or not you were going to engage in hate speech--after they took your keyboard away and injected botox into your vocal cords to keep you from saying racist things.

Essentially, that is how red flag laws treat gun owners.

Leftists are amazing.  They will see a law go unenforced, then conclude the problem is we need more laws.

:banghead:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
TRUE.
I swear, @EdJames , there must be a course and a handbook, because my ex blew out the stops and tried everything you can think of against me in our divorce - To include applying for TRO, claiming violence against her, and the children.

Fortunately for me, the standard here appears to be 'imminent harm' and requires proof - More than just testimony. Had I ever thumped on her, or the kids, I am sure she'd have got her way. But even given my rowdy past, there was never a time that I was violent except in defending myself or others against violence.

Gratefully, she was denied. In that, and every other attempt to take my shit and cut me off from my kids. But she sure enough tried. Over and over and over again.

I am not against TRO - I think it has a purpose. A woman beat half to death has little reason to claim other than the one who did it to her, and she obviously needs protection. In fact, the TRO does nothing to actually protect her, but if it is violated, it goes to the guilt of the perpetrator, and can serve to lock him in the can after the fact of the violation.

But to say it is not full of rampant abuse would be naive. In fact, I know personally some folks that were not as lucky as I was. If you have ever been convicted of an assault charge, as a instance, you are just screwed, guaranteed, regardless of the circumstances. And around here anyway, it is not uncommon for a man to have committed assault in his youth. Because of that one mistake, some thirty years ago, a woman can use the county and the state to grind him to dust.

Yup, all divorce lawyers are well versed in it!

Also, most police departments have at least one "special" officer that is trained to handhold the plaintiff through the process, and can usually get a judge to grant the TRO within hours.....

Offline Smokin Joe

Yup, all divorce lawyers are well versed in it!

Also, most police departments have at least one "special" officer that is trained to handhold the plaintiff through the process, and can usually get a judge to grant the TRO within hours.....
At some point the social serpents slither in and they are masters of prevarication and manipulation. Often outwardly attractive, well groomed, and demure seeming females, they are well versed in parsing swatting flies as threatening gestures and speaking loud enough to be heard as "shouting in a threatening manner".

Plenty of support for the accusers, little or none for the accused, and a really good attorney is hard to find.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I like the idea of a reciprocal TRO rule:  If somebody files an exaggerated claim to get a TRO and it's rejected, then the complainant should have the TRO issued on them

Should be part of more laws.  Falsely claim a rape?  Prison time.  Falsely claim Sexual Harassment?  Punishment ranging from forced attendance in a "class" to forking over the large sum of cash that would have been awarded in a lawsuit.  SWATTING?  Death penalty.  As it is now, there is no consequence for filing a false report to get a TRO, so natch, it's used offensively.  Even a cave man can see that shit coming.

I sure am glad somebody prevailed over me to keep this TRO bullshit linked to a story about a fellow who got his guns grabbed because of an erroneous application of a Red Flag. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

I like the idea of a reciprocal TRO rule:  If somebody files an exaggerated claim to get a TRO and it's rejected, then the complainant should have the TRO issued on them

Should be part of more laws.  Falsely claim a rape?  Prison time.  Falsely claim Sexual Harassment?  Punishment ranging from forced attendance in a "class" to forking over the large sum of cash that would have been awarded in a lawsuit.  SWATTING?  Death penalty.  As it is now, there is no consequence for filing a false report to get a TRO, so natch, it's used offensively.  Even a cave man can see that shit coming.

I sure am glad somebody prevailed over me to keep this TRO bullshit linked to a story about a fellow who got his guns grabbed because of an erroneous application of a Red Flag.
Actually, though it reeks of Hammurabi, I like it, too.
False accusers should have to bear the legal costs of the formerly accused and vindicated person(s) as well.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Actually, though it reeks of Hammurabi, I like it, too.
False accusers should have to bear the legal costs of the formerly accused and vindicated person(s) as well.

I learnt a new thing today!  I Goggled that, and got....

Hammurabi is best known for having issued the Code of Hammurabi, which he claimed to have received from Shamash, the Babylonian god of justice. Unlike earlier Sumerian law codes, such as the Code of Ur-Nammu, which had focused on compensating the victim of the crime, the Law of Hammurabi was one of the first law codes to place greater emphasis on the physical punishment of the perpetrator. It prescribed specific penalties for each crime and is among the first codes to establish the presumption of innocence. Although its penalties are extremely harsh by modern standards, they were intended to limit what a wronged person was permitted to do in retribution. The Code of Hammurabi and the Law of Moses in the Torah contain numerous similarities, but these are probably due to shared background and oral tradition, and it is unlikely that Hammurabi's laws exerted any direct impact on the later Mosaic ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammurabi
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

I learnt a new thing today!  I Goggled that, and got....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammurabi
Yep!  "An eye for an eye" comes from that.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

A nice idea, but I doubt it would amount to anything.  First, you have to prove that something didn't happen, which is a much, much, higher bar than just arguing that there is insufficient proof that it did.  And then you have to prove that the false claim was malicious.

But I suppose having those laws in place, even if they led to few convictions, might scare off some from trying.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

A nice idea, but I doubt it would amount to anything.  First, you have to prove that something didn't happen, which is a much, much, higher bar than just arguing that there is insufficient proof that it did.  And then you have to prove that the false claim was malicious.

But I suppose having those laws in place, even if they led to few convictions, might scare off some from trying.
With social media screenshots taken in the heat of passion, I think proof of malice would be easier.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
With social media screenshots taken in the heat of passion, I think proof of malice would be easier.

People have a habit of boasting about their conquest when they succeed in using the law to screw someone over.  They do so in a place or manner where it can be overheard.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

People have a habit of boasting about their conquest when they succeed in using the law to screw someone over.  They do so in a place or manner where it can be overheard.
And documented, including boastful accounts of perjury. Screenshots of that should be sufficient to reopen a case--and bring charges, and allow for civil redress as well.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I try not the read your drivel but his requires a direct response, because you are a special kind of stupid.
Every single state (Read: EVERY SINGLE STATE) has involuntary confinement laws, do you understand that EVERY state. There is no need for a federal law of any kind. Combine those with your precious TRO's and life is good. It is not responsible gun owners fault if other people are too chicken shit to use them and we should not be punished for their cowardice. So for once do the smart thing and shit down and STFU.

I'm pleased that you read my drivel,  but don't misunderstand - I don't advocate a federal red flag law.   Such laws, like most all gun regulation, should be at the state level.  The 2A protects the rights of states to maintain their citizen militias,  and Heller (and McDonald) directly address the ability of states to regulate the individual right.   

The proposed law that was the topic of a recent law doesn't impose a federal red flag law,  but would provide aid to states that enacted red flag laws with robust due process protections.   It is an attempt to ensure that, as states pass such laws in response to shootings by abusive spouses and nutjobs whipped up by on-line manifestos, the rights of gun owners are respected.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Conceptually,  I have no problem with that.  TROs and red flag laws can help prevent genuine harm, but like everyone here I condemn their abuse.

Actually,  a better idea may be to provide for a loser-pays rule like what some European countries have.   Gun owners aren't the only targets of spurious lawsuits.   Let the loser in any civil lawsuit pay the legal bills of the winner.   With that risk to consider,  you'll see the amount of civil litigation cut in half overnight.   Or just get rid of contingency fees.   If you want to sue,  then pay your lawyer, not approach the process like an opportunity to win the lottery.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide