Author Topic: Football Texas Longhorn football great Cedric Benson reported dead in motorcycle crash  (Read 774 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Texas Longhorn football great Cedric Benson reported dead in motorcycle crash

Posted August 18th, 2019

Ryan Autullo and Tony Plohetski

@autulloaas

University of Texas football great and former NFL player Cedric Benson died Saturday night in a motorcycle crash in West Austin, family members and friends said early Sunday.

Austin emergency officials told the American-Statesman that they are investigating the crash in the 5600 block of Mount Bonnell Road after 10 p.m. Saturday and had information that Benson and a passenger were killed. Two other adults who were injured in the crash suffered non-fatal injuries. Official confirmation by the Travis County medical examiner could come later in the day Sunday.

Benson’s death touched off a flurry of emotional responses from his teammates and coaches. Former coach Mack Brown, who recruited Benson to Texas out of Midland Lee, expressed his condolences in a Twitter post. Brown, now the coach at North Carolina, said, “We’ve coached a lot of tough players but none were tougher than Cedric.”...

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-longhorn-football-great-cedric-benson-reported-dead-motorcycle-crash/

...At Midland Lee, Benson always kneeled after every score. Why? “Respect. For the game. For the referees. For the fans. For the teams. Respect for myself. For God,” Benson said...

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-cedric-benson-burnt-orange-star-right-alongside-uts-heisman-greats/

Very sad.  Looks like his demons caught up with him.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I have been up to Mt Bonnell Road many times, but to do other things......
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have been up to Mt Bonnell Road many times, but to do other things......

It's a tricky drive.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Saw this posted elsewhere, thought that it was an interesting vignette....

I used to frequent a bar in North Austin where Cedric Benson would sometimes go to shoot pool and chill. While many knew who he was, the regulars gave him his space and tried not to treat him like the celebrity he was. He was much larger than he looked on television and he was generally sullen, perhaps because he was at the end of his NFL career around that time.

Many athletes either feel they are invincible because of their prowess on the field or can’t adjust after the gravy train stops, particularly when a knee or a shoulder provides a constant painful reminder that the show is over. It can be a very lonely feeling if there’s no support network. Benson apparently turned to alcohol as part of his coping mechanism.

He didn’t expect special treatment because he was Cedric Benson, football star. He was generally thought of as a good teammate. But I also thought it odd that he would chill in a bar that was 90% white and rarely brought any friends with him.

May he Rest In Peace.

https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/3772689/posts?page=74#74

It's a tricky drive.
That was not the tricky part.  At least, not on my dates.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
AA Big Book, Capter 5

"HOW IT WORKS
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of be ing honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

It is too bad he killed another person, too. This one last time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

That was not the tricky part.  At least, not on my dates.
Guess few folks here used to go to Mt Bonnell for specific purposes like I used to.

It most definitely not to ride motorbikes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:27:23 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »