Author Topic: Methodist University Hires a Muslim Chaplain  (Read 1347 times)

rangerrebew

Methodist University Hires a Muslim Chaplain
« on: August 18, 2019, 02:08:39 pm »
Methodist University Hires a Muslim Chaplain
By John Ellis August 16, 2019
chat 246 comments

The word Christian means something to me. Likewise, the word Islam means something to my Muslim friends. And although we are friends, we also recognize that our religions are not one and the same. In fact, the claims of Christianity and Islam contradict each other, meaning that both religions are not equally valid; both can't be right. Shenandoah University, a Methodist school, believes that Christianity and Islam are equally valid and that their students will benefit from the spiritual guidance of both. To help facilitate this, Shenandoah University has hired a Muslim chaplain. By doing so, the Methodist institution signals that Christianity means nothing to them.

Located in Winchester, Va., Shenandoah University boldly proclaims on its website that "Shenandoah University is one of six United Methodist Church-affiliated institutions of higher education in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The spiritual life team is dedicated to calling, forming and sending leaders for tomorrow’s church and world, offering a wide mixture of programs throughout the academic year."

https://pjmedia.com/faith/methodist-university-hires-a-muslim-chaplain/

rangerrebew

Re: Methodist University Hires a Muslim Chaplain
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 02:09:57 pm »
How nice.  I'm sure every Muslim university has a Christian chaplain, too. *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:58:41 pm »
Methodists?  Shocking.

:sarc:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 02:59:57 pm »
The UMC has largely become a group claiming to be Christian, but know more about what in the Bible they don't believe than what they do believe.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 03:14:16 pm »
The UMC has largely become a group claiming to be Christian, but know more about what in the Bible they don't believe than what they do believe.

I was raised a Methodist back in the 60's but left the Church when the Pastor refused to marry my then-fiance and me because we hadn't donated enough cash.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 03:50:47 pm »
I was raised a Methodist back in the 60's but left the Church when the Pastor refused to marry my then-fiance and me because we hadn't donated enough cash.

:chairbang: Oy! It may not yet have become common then, but in the churches of which I've been a member the past 4 or more decades the pastors have made a point of not knowing who donated how much.

I haven't been touched by it, but the apostatizing of several major Protestant denominations has been a sad process to observe. The Body of Christ, the believers in those denominations do not cease to be, of course, but it does hurt when a ministry one has helped build and friends one has loved walk away from Christ. A high school friend was a pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA; not the Lutheran denomination in which I grew up), the son of a pastor in that denomination (I'm over-simplifying a bit). His congregation opposed the direction ELCA was going and left the denomination (along with many other congregations). It had to feel like part of his heritage was being left behind.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 03:56:05 pm »

Damn that was cold.  The least he could have said was "Son, sorry can't do it. She's not right for you"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 03:58:07 pm »
:chairbang: Oy! It may not yet have become common then, but in the churches of which I've been a member the past 4 or more decades the pastors have made a point of not knowing who donated how much.

I haven't been touched by it, but the apostatizing of several major Protestant denominations has been a sad process to observe. The Body of Christ, the believers in those denominations do not cease to be, of course, but it does hurt when a ministry one has helped build and friends one has loved walk away from Christ. A high school friend was a pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA; not the Lutheran denomination in which I grew up), the son of a pastor in that denomination (I'm over-simplifying a bit). His congregation opposed the direction ELCA was going and left the denomination (along with many other congregations). It had to feel like part of his heritage was being left behind.

When I was a kid I labeled the United Methodist Church the "First Church of Money."  Every pastor I knew was constantly thumping the tub for money during the Sermons.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 03:58:57 pm »
Damn that was cold.  The least he could have said was "Son, sorry can't do it. She's not right for you"

He would have been correct...the marriage didn't last a year. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 04:01:58 pm »
He would have been correct...the marriage didn't last a year. :shrug:

:pondering:

wink777
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 04:13:23 pm »
When I was a kid I labeled the United Methodist Church the "First Church of Money."  Every pastor I knew was constantly thumping the tub for money during the Sermons.

:thud:  :chairbang: In the past 30+ years across two churches I doubt there's been a sermon a year having to do with $$. Both when the offering plate was about to be passed, specifically told/tell visitors they should feel no obligation to give. Thinking back to my childhood, I don't recall any sermons about $$ or giving.

I do not doubt in the least your memories, it's just strange to me to reflect on our differing memories.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 04:17:53 pm »
:thud:  :chairbang: In the past 30+ years across two churches I doubt there's been a sermon a year having to do with $$. Both when the offering plate was about to be passed, specifically told/tell visitors they should feel no obligation to give. Thinking back to my childhood, I don't recall any sermons about $$ or giving.

I do not doubt in the least your memories, it's just strange to me to reflect on our differing memories.

I doubt my own memories from that long ago.... :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 11:49:30 pm »
In the past 30+ years across two churches I doubt there's been a sermon a year having to do with $$. Both when the offering plate was about to be passed, specifically told/tell visitors they should feel no obligation to give. Thinking back to my childhood, I don't recall any sermons about $$ or giving.
I'm an recently-installed elder and am reading a book about stewardship. The author argues that tithing and giving is something that very much needs to be discussed in churches, regularly. He also believes pastors should know who in the congregation is or isn't giving. It's an interesting viewpoint.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 01:41:22 pm »
I had a Methodist Preacher who taught the importance of tithing without the importance of giving it to the church.  He taught we needed to be a good stewards of what we are given.  We did not need to funnel all of that through the church.  Being aware of people in need was important for our own growth.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer