Author Topic: Can the Pecos cantaloupe survive?  (Read 462 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Can the Pecos cantaloupe survive?
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »
Houston Chronicle by Emily Foxhall 8/1/2019

Beto Mandujano jabbed his kitchen knife through the rough, yellow rind of the Pecos cantaloupe he had scooped from the ground. The melon’s dense flesh glistened with juice, its color a deep orange.

Many Texans swear these cantaloupes are the best anyone can find. But today, Pecos cantaloupes are on the verge of extinction. Mandujano and his two brothers are the last farmers selling them on a large scale.

A number of factors explain this decline. The most recent, obvious culprit is oil.

Pecos, a city of roughly 10,000 on the eastern edge of the Chihuahuan Desert, feels like a middle-of-nowhere boomtown. People see unfamiliar faces in Walmart. They steer cautiously among big trucks barreling down their small country roads.

Industry is redefining this place, as it has many Texas towns before it. Oil and gas equipment stands on hot, dusty, empty fields. Farming and ranching once central to the Pecos region now seem to have faded into the background.

Texas farmers harvested nearly 10,000 acres of cantaloupe in 2000, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That fell to 1,300 acres in 2017.

Around Pecos, harvested acreage plummeted from more than 2,000 in 1969 to roughly a tenth of that amount in 2017. The Mandujanos planted 260 acres of the crop this year, along with other produce.

For a century, farmers planted cantaloupes around Pecos. Like Fredericksburg peaches, or East Texas tomatoes, their reputation was linked to the land.

“It’s a part of Pecos,” 86-year-old resident Carolyn McNeil said. “Pecos cantaloupes.”

But it got harder to hire workers and pricier to irrigate. Farmer after farmer decided not to grow them anymore.

Then came fracking, and people made more money than ever.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Pecos-cantaloupes-were-famous-Now-oil-rules-14273017.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Can the Pecos cantaloupe survive?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:59:59 pm »
The most delicious cantaloupe I have ever tasted.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:32:22 pm »
I still look for them, but now I can't remember when I've seen one in the stores. They are the best!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:08:40 am »
I haven't been to Fredericksburg lately, but my brother says most of the peach orchards have been replaced by vineyards.  I like the idea of vineyards, but they're being put in by expats from distant places and not by the old, stubborn Texas Germans that settled that area.  I hate to see the peaches go away.