Author Topic: Hillary Clinton’s emails were sent, potentially secretly, to a cryptically named Gmail address  (Read 1346 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In this case perhaps, but I know ISPs save data for 7 years, and I suspect everybody else providing service does too.

Clinton left the State Department in January, 2013.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

Clinton left the State Department in January, 2013.

I know.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I know.

So do the Feebs, and do their techies care now any more than they cared before?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

So do the Feebs, and do their techies care now any more than they cared before?

Right. If the Republicans gaining congress that mid-term did nothing to lock up that data, then it's way too late now.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Right - thus a mac addy spoofer. I am only concerned with the router at the source, where that mac addy is tied to an LAN IP live for the length of the lease, and may also be logged.

No. You would be more right if it was a card, but since networking is onboard these days, it is part and parcel to the device - And if your name is on that device, if you paid with check or credit card, the buyer record is known by the retailer, and the machine is known by the manufacturer. They can put it together, and they do. RFID tagging at it's best.

Hackers get caught because they get lazy.

The last router that sees my MAC is in my house, and that's before it gets to the cable modem.

It doesn't matter if the NIC is onboard or on a card.  It's unlikely that the manufacturer is going to track the MAC to the sale to the wholesaler.  It's unrealistic that the wholesaler is going to track the MAC to the sale to the retailer.  There's no way in heck the retailer is going to even attempt to track the MAC to the end user purchase, even if I didn't pay cash.  And that's assuming the  manufacturer labels the packages with unique "serial numbers" to begin with, which is unbelievable.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

In this case perhaps, but I know ISPs save data for 7 years, and I suspect everybody else providing service does too.

Four years ago that was not true (has it been four years already?) for all ISPs.  It's probably quite safe to say that "everybody else providing service does too" is not true, since that would apply to pretty much every employer whose employees have company user accounts.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

The last router that sees my MAC is in my house, and that's before it gets to the cable modem.

Right - Same for me. But you'd have to be an idiot to be doing anything untoward from your home. You would be using some public access or preferably a stumbled location.

The internet IP will lead them to that location, and the mac will lead them to the LAN machine. If there were logs kept (which you would likely not have control over, unless you a damn good), they will have the MacAddy.

It doesn't matter if the NIC is onboard or on a card.  It's unlikely that the manufacturer is going to track the MAC to the sale to the wholesaler.  It's unrealistic that the wholesaler is going to track the MAC to the sale to the retailer.  There's no way in heck the retailer is going to even attempt to track the MAC to the end user purchase, even if I didn't pay cash.  And that's assuming the  manufacturer labels the packages with unique "serial numbers" to begin with, which is unbelievable.

I beg to differ - Since RFID inventory, parts can be tracked all the way. Info entered at the beginning is the very same thing all the way through. There may be several RFIDs attached to a device, but as a new RFID is attached, it uses information read from the first, or previous, and so on.

It is all tracked, all the way through.

Online DB

Right - Same for me. But you'd have to be an idiot to be doing anything untoward from your home. You would be using some public access or preferably a stumbled location.

The internet IP will lead them to that location, and the mac will lead them to the LAN machine. If there were logs kept (which you would likely not have control over, unless you a damn good), they will have the MacAddy.

I beg to differ - Since RFID inventory, parts can be tracked all the way. Info entered at the beginning is the very same thing all the way through. There may be several RFIDs attached to a device, but as a new RFID is attached, it uses information read from the first, or previous, and so on.

It is all tracked, all the way through.

MAC addresses can be easily spoofed. If you are on a hill near any city USA a high gain (and therefore highly directional) WiFi antenna can pick up a large number of the WiFi networks with many being unsecured providing the perfect gateway into the Web with absolutely no usable record of where the actual connection came from.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
MAC addresses can be easily spoofed. If you are on a hill near any city USA a high gain (and therefore highly directional) WiFi antenna can pick up a large number of the WiFi networks with many being unsecured providing the perfect gateway into the Web with absolutely no usable record of where the actual connection came from.

All future cyber crimes will originate from Starbucks, McDonald's and Motel Six.  They keep a light on for you.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

All future cyber crimes will originate from Starbucks, McDonald's and Motel Six.  They keep a light on for you.

Actually, industrial settings make for better targets... Less chance of cams, better wireless, wide open unthrottled guest access... and usually pretty lonesome at night.

Theoretically, I mean...  happy77

Offline roamer_1

MAC addresses can be easily spoofed.

yeah - that's easily automated... Just a little gizmo that starts on login and generates a different mac every time... No worries.

If you are on a hill near any city USA a high gain (and therefore highly directional) WiFi antenna can pick up a large number of the WiFi networks with many being unsecured providing the perfect gateway into the Web with absolutely no usable record of where the actual connection came from.

Oddly enough, not so easy around here. Mountains and trees make line-of-site difficult... And most residential routers are protected and with guest off... You've got to just drive around to find something open... ALTHOUGH, it is getting more common to have open guest access - friends over need wiffy for their phones and tablets and such, and it is easier to set them up open so they just work.

Still more likely at hospitality locations, or my favorite, industrial sites.
I don't have much need for such things anymore... but I still know where I can go on the road for unthrottled access if I need to pull a file down.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Actually, industrial settings make for better targets... Less chance of cams, better wireless, wide open unthrottled guest access... and usually pretty lonesome at night.

Theoretically, I mean...  happy77

Mine was locked down tighter than a gnat's ass, but that was a Fortune 500 type company.  At least I could to get on TBR OK, or you would never have heard of me.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

Mine was locked down tighter than a gnat's ass, but that was a Fortune 500 type company.  At least I could to get on TBR OK, or you would never have heard of me.

Yeah... thinking way too big. I can tell you somewhere between 10-20 local joints, building supply, welding supply, plumbing supply, shipping, etc, that provide unthrottled guest services (Unlike hospitality), that are locked up at night, and no one is there. few passes by sheriff or security... They are well wired, and rely on alarm systems for security... And since I am not attempting B&E, my pilfering, from their POV, would be relatively benign. There's a really nice hidden spot in a sort of alley behind the UPS Store, as an example...

Theoretically, I mean.

And it is a pretty good exercise, btw, without any hacking.
If the jackboots take over the government, like so many dread, I know I can walk off and avoid any imposition... But having communication access world wide, anonymously, might be a handy feature.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah... thinking way too big. I can tell you somewhere between 10-20 local joints, building supply, welding supply, plumbing supply, shipping, etc, that provide unthrottled guest services (Unlike hospitality), that are locked up at night, and no one is there. few passes by sheriff or security... They are well wired, and rely on alarm systems for security... And since I am not attempting B&E, my pilfering, from their POV, would be relatively benign. There's a really nice hidden spot in a sort of alley behind the UPS Store, as an example...

Theoretically, I mean.

And it is a pretty good exercise, btw, without any hacking.
If the jackboots take over the government, like so many dread, I know I can walk off and avoid any imposition... But having communication access world wide, anonymously, might be a handy feature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warchalking
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warchalking

Yeah - heard of warchalking... That ain't done around here, or at least I have not seen it...
I think that's a big city thing. Mostly up here it is simple stumbling.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah - heard of warchalking... That ain't done around here, or at least I have not seen it...
I think that's a big city thing. Mostly up here it is simple stumbling.
Just ask the kids, they know every wifi they can tap into with a phone. I have seen a little bit of chalking in town, but not much.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis