Author Topic: Why You Shouldn’t Shoot Small Groups – Defensive Pistol Training  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ammoland by Tom McHale 8/15/2019

If you use a gun for concealed carry or home defense, tiny groups are not always your friend.

I may or may not have a touch of OCD in my genetic makeup. Hypothetically speaking, if I arrange my boxes of ammo on the shelf by lot order, would that qualify? How about if I have to reset things when the “wrong” one of the two same-circuit light switches in my office is “up” when the light should be “off?” Don’t get me started with the focus-robbing chaos that ensues when my two aviation instrument drink coasters are in the wrong place on my desk…

There’s also an OCD range habit I have to actively resist: Shooting tiny groups.

Yes, you heard that right. “But wait,” you ask, “isn’t the goal of master-level pistol shooting being able to shoot tiny groups at 300 yards on demand?” Well, yes. Sometimes.

If you’re a trick shot YouTube star like 22 Plinkster, then yes, you want to be able to shoot tiny groups.

If you compete in NRA Bullseye competition or have plans to attend the Civilian Marksmanship Program National Matches, then yes, small groups are your friend.

Maybe you require a steady diet of Squirrel Wellington and need to make precise shots. OK, that’s another good reason to practice shooting tiny and precise groups.

Perhaps you’re using itty-bitty groups as a measurement of a fundamentals practice session. If you are spending a range visit working on your smooth trigger press technique, then group size is a great indicator of your success or failure.

Last but not least is bragging rights. Admit it, we all want range neighbors to look into our lane and see us nailing dimes at 20 yards with ease.

Here’s the gotcha. If you use a gun for concealed carry or home defense, tiny groups are not your friend.

Lose the Pride
Shoot Faster
Use Paper Plates for Targets
Perform “Full Cycle” Shots
Shift Targets with Every Shot, Then Randomize

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/why-you-shouldnt-shoot-small-groups-defensive-pistol-training/#axzz5wie5v5WN

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Makes sense in a way. Why send a defensive round down the same wound channel?

IIRC, the "Mozambique Drill" was 'one in each side of the chest, one in the head'. (Col. Cooper)

For the link hungry....https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/5/18/the-mozambique-drill-a-history-and-how-to/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:32:25 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ammoland by Tom McHale 8/15/2019

Lose the Pride
Shoot Faster
Use Paper Plates for Targets
Perform “Full Cycle” Shots
Shift Targets with Every Shot, Then Randomize

@Elderberry

I definitely agree with "shoot faster" and "Shift Targets with Every Shot,and then "Randomize" (shoot targets out of order).

If you lose your pride,you lose everything,including the will to fight,so I can't agree with that one.

I don't know what a "Full Cycle Shot" is.

Most of all,I do NOT agree with not trying to put your bullet EXACTLY where you want it to go. This is especially true with self-defense shooting. There is a lot of talk about proper bullet size,caliber,composition,the proper weapon for self-defense AND concealed carry,etc,etc,etc. All of it fun to argue about,but here is something no one can argue with. A 22 caliber short through a eye socket puts your attacker down for the count,and he won't be getting back up by himself.

I am a HUGE advocate of point-shooting for self-defense. I define point shooting as focusing your eyes on where you want the bullet to hit,and training yourself to the point where your handgun is automatically pointed there. If you can't put a bullet within 3 or 4 inches of where you are looking at 10-15 feet,keep practicing until you can,or get a gun  that fits your hands better and shoots more accurately than the one you already have.

My most common carry gun is a 9 shot 22 revolver with a 1-1/2 inch barrel. The first thing I did when I got it home was take the adjustable rear sight off and throw it away. All these things ever do in a "pocket gun" is to snag inside your pocket and tear holes in it.

Yet I have no trouble shooting snakes at 5 to 10 feet with it.

My "go to town" carry piece is usually my 44 Special DAO Rossi with a 3 inch barrel and no rear sight from the factory,just a groove on the top strap. I have literally shot  and killed snakes with this one from up to 20 feet away,mostly head shots,using 200 gr Winchester "Silvertip" ammo. Some of them were even running,which means some took 2 shots to kill because a running snake is damn hard to hit in the center of it's head.

I used to practice by shooting golf balls scattered all over the yard,with my "rule" being snap shots with no ball shot at more than once before moving on to another one.

I would start with my back turned and gun in hand,and then spin around and open fire at the one I happened to be looking at. This is GREAT fun because they jump when you hit them,so you get a visual reward for doing well.

This is probably not something you want to do if you have a tender ego and don't shoot all that well,though. Please note,I do NOT do this with the 22 and the 1.5 inch barrel. I have done it with my modified 45 ACP Combat Commander,though. That was the carry gun of choice for me before I got the 44 Special.

No,I don't carry reloads. If it ever becomes necessary for me to shoot it,there will be guns laying around with no one using them after I have fired 5 times. The typical criminal is NOT the type of person that does a lot of thinking or shooting,and is prone to dump a load in his pants and run like a SOB if someone he is facing pulls a gun. By the time you drop one with a head shot,any of his pals with him are likely to be running for their lives and shooting over their shoulders without looking back. If they were brave they wouldn't be running in packs.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

@Elderberry @sneakypete A lot of good points were made on both sides I will need to give them both a lot of consideration. Thank you.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mortarman

That's why I use 225 grain hollow points in my M1911A1. You only need one shot an it'll remove the heart-lung group on it's way out.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.